Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: nikon lens on linhof lensboard - how?

nikon lens on linhof lensboard - how?

Hello,

I want to mount a nikon lens (SLR) on a linhof lensboard in order to record the full image circle on 4x5". I guess someone who is good with tools could do it but I wonder if anybody around did it and would share the experience. I would go for a recessed lensboard.

cheers
    wolfgang

Re: nikon lens on linhof lensboard

Your Nikon lens is made for a 35mm frame (36x24 millimeters). It won't cover anything more than that unless you are doing extreme macro. Is that what you are wanting to do?
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Re: nikon lens on linhof lensboard - how?

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    It won't cover anything more than that unless you are doing extreme macro.
    This isn't exactly true. It will depend on the lens and the aperture.

I suspect that the OP wants a circular image on 4x5, and is not expecting full coverage.

Of course you are correct, I was being very general. I'm not sure what the OP wants but to me it sounded like he thought he could get a much larger IC than is likely available, outside of the shift lenses. Perhaps I am wrong - but I've had numerous students ask how to mount their 35mm lenses onto MF/LF, thinking they would just work.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Wolfgang,

Not only will a lens made for a 35mm camera give you a small circle of illumination but the exit pupil of the lens would need to be less than 2 inches from the film (just as it would be on a 35mm camera body). Of course, this is for photographs within a couple feet all the way out to infinity.

Yes, if you are going to be visiting the macro world of plants, insects, etc. then a lens made for use on a 35mm camera could work for you. But it would need to be mounted in reverse (the rear element would be closest to your subject).

With all these problems, you might want to change your mind and find a macro lens made to be used on a large format camera. Some of the lenses made for the Polaroid MP3 or MP4 are macro and might work well and are not expensive.

Huub

You will need at least two things: a lensboard with a hole that fits the size of the nikon bayonet and a way to secure the lens to that board. But then: it is pretty easy to find the proper body mounting rings on the e***y, which then can be attached to the lensboard.

Why you should want to do this is of course a second question, as the image circle will probably be something like the 5cm 35mm films needs and about 10 cm when going tot 1:1 with a macro lens. Neither covers 4x5 or comes close to it.
    Focal flange distance might just work out when using a recessed lensboard and a bag bellows, as the film-bayonet distance on Nikon is 46,5 mm, which is comparable to the 47mm SA XL, which has a FFD of almost 6cm. A last problem to solve is the aperture, which might be closed fully when not attached to a camera. Not sure how this works with Nikon, but with my Pentax lenses this mechanism will result in a very dark viewing glass.

Huub

The answer is pretty easy: buy the proper body mounting ring on the e***y and attach it to a lensboard with a sufficient big hole. Then of course there are other problems to be solved, like the aperture mechanism, the focal-flange distance and a shutter might come in handy too. But there a solutions for these too, of course.

There is no way that you can properly focus a 45 or 47 mm lens on a regular Technika without the Wide Angle Focus Device as the lens has to be positioned inside the camera body.

I believe OP wants the image circle surrounded by black so not looking for even coverage.

@Op - what lens are you thinking of using ? I'd just hack a temporary lens board unless this is a long term project.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Wolfgang,

You are asking a question to address a problem in the middle of a process.

If you tell us what the desired end result is, it would be easier to provide recommendations.

For example, if you are looking for macro work, it would be easier to find an enlarging lens that could front mount into a standard sized shutter, a problem more difficult with using a Nikon F mount lens.

More details on end results please.

Hope that provides some additional insight,

Len