Some may be curious about the cost, weight, spray distance, and spray time for these canisters. The "Counter Assault" brand (seen in post #1, available from REI) comes in two sizes w/ these specs:

8.1 oz./230 grams – $45
Spray distance: 32 feet
Spray time: 7.2 sec.

10.2 oz./290 grams – $55
Spray distance: 30 feet
Spray time: 9.2 sec.

One might ask, "Why pay $10 more for (merely) two additional seconds of spray?" As I mentioned once, I'd go with it. If you accidentally corner or surprise a bear, and he's angry about it, that's the cheapest $10 you'll ever spend. (I imagine this is what happened to the Yellowstone hiker, who didn't have bear spray.)

I have the optional holster for my belt. When walking on the trail, I practice "finding" the canister, pulling it from the holster, removing the white safety tab, and aiming it (all in a hurry). You want these actions to be second nature when it counts – though chances are overwhelming that you'll never have to use the canister. Ever.

-----
I even imagine myself watching an angry grizzly approach me, head lowered, teeth snapping, 70 feet away, 60 feet, 50 feet, 40 feet – remembering the canister works best from 30 feet or less. (And just where is the wind coming from?) Good "shot discipline" also requires nerves of steel!