Thread: Carbon Transfer Prints

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Carbon Transfer Prints

Wow that Cathedral Rock print is freaking amazing!!

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    My intention was to post several images in this thread of recent work but the reception to the first one was so nice I fear another one will be downhill. But, the only way forward is ahead so here is another one, with a somewhat less ethereal subject.

Carbon transfer print 17" X 23" in size from a digital negative. Original was digital capture, digital negative printed with Epson 7800. Called Cathedral Rock.

BTW, the tones in the sky in this image, and in the one of the angel, are in the scene as exposed, i.e. no double exposure or combining images involved.

Sandy
    Eric Rose
    www.ericrose.com

I don't play the piano, I don't have a beard and I listen to AC/DC in the darkroom. I have no hope as a photographer.

Indeed it is! And those waternimphs... How do you scan such big prints Sandy? Also, do you apply output sharpening for the digital negatives as you would for a regular inkjetprint?
    Tom Keymeulen

Quote Originally Posted by D-tach View Post
    Indeed it is! And those waternimphs... How do you scan such big prints Sandy? Also, do you apply output sharpening for the digital negatives as you would for a regular inkjetprint?
    I think he has a machine that breaks up the image into particles and simply transmits it out into cyberspace for all to see it's just that amazing

Quote Originally Posted by D-tach View Post
    Tom,

I don't scan carbon prints. Scanning is very complicated because of the reflective qualities of these prints. The images of the prints were taken with a digital camera. I just put the print on an easel and make the shot in soft light with a digital camera, in sRGB. The file size is actually hugely reduced, otherwise it would never load onto this forum. Sometimes I use some web output sharpness for the files. I try to adjust contrast and color of the image file to match the print.

In terms of file prep, I use just a tad more unsharp mask for making digital negatives than for printing regular inkjet prints. If I make a digital negative using the exact same preparation used for the digital inkjet print sharpness won't be quite sufficient on the carbon print. Over-sharpening is really ugly with inkjet prints, but it is quasi-magical with carbon because the effect is to increase the impression of relief. The contrast and sharpening used can make or break a carbon print, and it is very difficult to evaluate on the monitor.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Tom,

I don't scan carbon prints. Scanning is very complicated because of the reflective qualities of these prints. The images of the prints were taken with a digital camera. I just put the print on an easel and make the shot in soft light with a digital camera, in sRGB. The file size is actually hugely reduced, otherwise it would never load onto this forum. Sometimes I use some web output sharpness for the files. I try to adjust contrast and color of the image file to match the print.

In terms of file prep, I use just a tad more unsharp mask for making digital negatives than for printing regular inkjet prints. If I make a digital negative using the exact same preparation used for the digital inkjet print sharpness won't be quite sufficient on the carbon print. Over-sharpening is really ugly with inkjet prints, but it is quasi-magical with carbon because the effect is to increase the impression of relief. The contrast and sharpening used can make or break a carbon print, and it is very difficult to evaluate on the monitor.

Sandy
    Interesting. Thank you for explaining Sandy!
    Tom Keymeulen