Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dry Mounting inkjet prints

Dry Mounting inkjet prints

My two cents worth (waived because it's Tuesday): One of the reasons that I dry mount prints (b/w, fiber-based, almost exclusively) is that I find it difficult to evaluate an unmounted print. The ones that turn out to be good improve, and the others look worse, after mounting! I think this is because of flatness, cropping or trimming, and ability to look from more than arm's length away. It seems that inkjet images would behave the same way.

Anyone else notice this effect?

Dry Mounting inkjet prints

I gave up trying various gluing or permanent mounting methods and have turned to a better paper to get better results... for example using a heavyer weight paper has allowed me to just hinge mount and let the print hang... After loads of experimenting I found that very heavy mat papers (I am using Innova Museum 100% Cotton Rag @ +300 gsm on a roll - 7600 printer) and hinge mounting looks fantastic.. (the best choice in my opinion) the mat paper doesn't reflect with any variations in the surface as goes gloss paper... the prints look fantastic framed, matted or even unframed... only down side is that this is one of the most expensive papers on the market... (mind you it doens't have the flaking problems of the Hammerhumule papers) and they don't look like photographic prints... (mind you celibrating the difference between digital and analogue seems appropriate to me)

Len Metcalf

Leonard Murray Metcalf BA Dip Ed MEd

Len's gallery lenmetcalf.com

Lens School

Lens Journal