Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Color Correction Filters - Necessary for E6 Scanning Workflow?

Re: Color Correction Filters - Necessary for E6 Scanning Workflow?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    You could probably skip the fine tune and just use coarser filters, like 10 and 30CC - but other than holding a nice look chrome over a light box, why would you shoot E6 at all, especially if you're scanning yourself?
    More tonal separation per stop. If it fits in the contrast range slides give me a better final image. However, I shoot neg as well if the situation calls for it.

How do the 4x4, (100mm), Sinar filters compare to Lee or other color correction/balancing filters?

Asher

Quote Originally Posted by John Rodriguez View Post
    * I'm shooting outdoor landscape exclusively, using Provia (sometimes Ektar neg when I need the range).
    Why not just always use Ektar? What advantage does Provia have that you can't get from Ektar?

Surely grain or resolution isn't an issue, so.... ??

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Syverson View Post
    Why not just always use Ektar? What advantage does Provia have that you can't get from Ektar?

Surely grain or resolution isn't an issue, so.... ??
    Within a given contrast range I get more tonal information from the chrome. Basically you have more density per stop. This is one thing that I love about film since moving from digital - I can choose my sensor to match the contrast of a scene. Grain isn't an issue, I get all the resolution I need from either. Provia also goes a lot longer without hitting reciprocity failure then Ektar or Portra.

Within a given contrast range I get more tonal information from the chrome. Basically you have more density per stop. This is one thing that I love about film since moving from digital - I can choose my sensor to match the contrast of a scene. Grain isn't an issue, I get all the resolution I need from either. Provia also goes a lot longer without hitting reciprocity failure then Ektar or Portra.
    John,

Also one can print directly to Cibachrome from the transparency! That's a bonus!

Asher

Big Negs Rock!

Hello Swilf,

My noise comment is in direct relationship to what you mention. You just say "some layers get less exposure, and the process does not work as intended." I believe that's what I said and also the results. We all know that the film doesn't respond the same way as the eye, it's all an illusion.

Asher,

Check with Visual Products: http://www.visualproducts.com/

There are other used outlets, plus the camera houses that sell used filters at a huge discount.

Good Luck
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Cinematography Mentor at the American Film Institute
    Past President of the Pasadena Society of Artists
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
    Thanks, Mark,

I hope the O.P. wont mind getting into choice of filters for large old lenses! For these I need a large diameter, especially if filters have to be stacked. So square filters, 5"x5", 6"x6" or 6.6" x 6.6" seem to be best. However, they are so ridiculously expensive! I'd love to find some that folk are no longer using!

Asher
    I just bought half a Tiffen glass 4x4 decamired red set used from BH for $23 a filter. They look brand new, I'm guessing they were floor models. Now I have a 1 and a 12, need to round out with a 3 and 6.

I just bought half a Tiffen glass 4x4 decamired red set used from BH for $23 a filter. They look brand new, I'm guessing they were floor models. Now I have a 1 and a 12, need to round out with a 3 and 6.
    So, it was you that took them! I have snagged Lee's for $10 a filter, just the blues and one 25 red, but they are resin!

Asher

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Woods View Post
    My noise comment is in direct relationship to what you mention. You just say "some layers get less exposure, and the process does not work as intended." I believe that's what I said and also the results.
    What I was trying to convey is that the problem is deeper than just the noise you mentioned. When some layers - say, red-sensitive layer in twilight - get less exposure, we, of course, get some noise trying to recover the image in post-processing. But there are losses more subtle but still important.

Quote Originally Posted by swilf View Post
    What I was trying to convey is that the problem is deeper than just the noise you mentioned. When some layers - say, red-sensitive layer in twilight - get less exposure, we, of course, get some noise trying to recover the image in post-processing. But there are losses more subtle but still important.
    Swilf,

Doesn't that get managed by using one's choice of filters for the lighting color temp and the effects one wants?

Asher