Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I Want It All...

Re: I Want It All...

Quote Originally Posted by squiress View Post
    Are these Cooke triplets readily available or are there long waiting times to purchase one, or are they only available in the used market?

Thanks

Stew
    I bought mine about 6 weeks ago from Jeff at Badger and at that time he claimed he had "several" in stock.
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

Scott,

355mm Schneider Symmar Convertible in a Copal #3 is the same lens as the 360mm in Compound. They show up quite often. I got a 355mm for not much more than buying the shutter alone.

Jason.
    Last edited by JasonC; 3-Nov-2006 at 11:58.

This is a good point.

The reason I went the #5 Compound route was specifically to take advantage of the aperture shape. The Copal #3's shape isn't 1/2 bad (as these things go in modern times). The Compound's aperture shape is truely round gloriousness!

Quote Originally Posted by JasonC View Post
    355mm Schneider Symmar Convertible in a Copal #3 is the same lens as the 360mm in Compound. They show up quite often. I got a 355mm for not much more than buying the shutter alone.

Just a comment, the Symmar may be available cheap, but if you plan on using even one 105mm filter all your savings go down the tube. The 14" Commercial Ektar uses 72mm filters.

Steve

Scott Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hamley View Post
    Just a comment, the Symmar may be available cheap, but if you plan on using even one 105mm filter all your savings go down the tube. The 14" Commercial Ektar uses 72mm filters.

Steve
    Steve- absolutely true - but the 14" Commercial Ektar covers 11x14 with modest movement. If the above posts are true, the Symmar covers 12x20, which is a radically different animal. Depending on your purpose, the filter would be just the cost of doing business, or else you'd use Lee gelatin filters instead.

For the purpose of the OP, the 14" Commercial Ektar is a more practical lens, especially when comparing the Compound #5 to the Ilex #5.

The 14" Commercial Ektar is indeed a brilliant optic. Sharp from wide open. Kodak really knew how to build those lenses. They are small and light enough to fail the anchor test.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Davis View Post
    ... For the purpose of the OP, the 14" Commercial Ektar is a more practical lens, especially when comparing the Compound #5 to the Ilex #5.

Scott,

Lee resins are 100mm x150mm. They won't cover a lens that uses 105mm filters. I'd love it if they did. Might be able to use them behind the lens, but then you've knocked the effective lens speed down if you focus with the filter in place.

Steve
    Last edited by Steve Hamley; 3-Nov-2006 at 15:35.

Quote Originally Posted by lee\c View Post
    355mm G-Claron. it may have more movement than you want but more is better. Copal #3 fits directly no spacers. It is single coated though if that makes a difference but it is tack sharp.

lee\c
    And, nice bokeh as well...

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

I'll 4th or 5th (or is it 6th?) the 14" Commercial Ektar. I've got one and it truly is a lovely lens. Everytime I get a hankerin' for a 355 G Claron or a Symmar, I take the Commercial Ektar out to play and the urge to add another 14"er vaporizes. I'd be willing to bet Carol Miller can make a #5 Universal sing like a Rolex watch
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Scott Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hamley View Post
    Scott,

Lee resins are 100mm x150mm. They won't cover a lens that uses 105mm filters. I'd love it if they did. Might be able to use them behind the lens, but then you've knocked the effective lens speed down if you focus with the filter in place.

Steve
    Ok- then Kodak 6" wratten gels or something. I know larger filters exist. If not Wrattens, then Rosco makes all kinds of gel filters for cinema lighting in all kinds of sizes.