Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lightest tripod/head for Chamonix?

Re: Lightest tripod/head for Chamonix?

I second the use of a leveling base. If you set up your tripod properly, you only need to make minor adjustments. I don't remember what brand leveling base I have, but it works fine.
    Last edited by faberryman; 16-Jul-2023 at 07:45.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Does a leveling head create a problem such as: You want to lower the view. So when you release it to move the camera to point down, there's some shift left or right. In other words, unlike a three-way head where you can control motion only in one of three directions, the leveling head allows unwanted shifting in a second direction?

Do ball heads create similar problems?
    Yes, that's the main disadvantage of the leveling head-- lack of control of a single plane at a time, if you intend to use them for something other than just leveling.
    my flickr page: Jeff Wingard

Quote Originally Posted by JefW View Post
    Yes, that's the main disadvantage of the leveling head-- lack of control of a single plane at a time, if you intend to use them for something other than just leveling.
    That’s why I added the panoramic head to my leveling base. It allows tilt and rotation from the level attachment to the leveling base. The acratech panoramic head also has the best bubble level I’ve found on a tripod head so far.

Quote Originally Posted by JefW View Post
    I don't have difficulty moving in one plane at a time, and find making fine adjustments easier. Of course, if you are making gross adjustments, it is not the optimal tool because a leveling base does not have wide ranges of movement. It is just a different tool.
    Last edited by faberryman; 16-Jul-2023 at 10:30.

I am using a Manfrotto XPRO 3-Way, Pan-and-Tilt Head with my 4x5 and 5x12. Its great for shooting downward and making easy small adjustments in any direction. The only negative is the small QR plate but it does lock down well and is secure. You can get similar models with the Arca-type QR systems. I will carry the 4x5 attached while hiking but not the 5x12 for fear of the camera coming off. What ever system you pick that has a QR system - buy extra plates, one for each camera.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Quote Originally Posted by esearing View Post
    I am using a Manfrotto XPRO 3-Way, Pan-and-Tilt Head with my 4x5 and 5x12. Its great for shooting downward and making easy small adjustments in any direction. The only negative is the small QR plate but it does lock down well and is secure. You can get similar models with the Arca-type QR systems. I will carry the 4x5 attached while hiking but not the 5x12 for fear of the camera coming off. What ever system you pick that has a QR system - buy extra plates, one for each camera.
    Not all Arca plates from different manufacturers match the QR plate from another even though they're advertised to be a standard. I had that problem with a Arca type plate for a Mamiya RB67 that didn't work with the Arca type QR plate from another manufacturer

Chamonix also makes ULF, they are heavy and well made

Tiny anything is a bad thread title
    Tin Can

M.A. Wikstrom

I don't use a head on my Ries - simply screw the camera on and level it with the legs. If it needs to pan a little I simply loosen, pan, tighten. Helps that there's a knob underneath. For my center post tripods that don't turn I've ordered a pan only plate.

Drew has many foliowing his lead

Me Too
    Tin Can