Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help dating old plates

Re: Help dating old plates

Looking at the Christmas shot I stick with my dates. The man’s hair and slacks look late 30’s to 1st half of the 40’s. Just because the plates are in an old box isn’t a guarantee they were exposed in that era. I had my wife look at them also. She was a creative director for a clothing chain and for the last 25 years been a fine artist and has researched clothing for her paintings. She agreed with the dates also.

Looking at the child in the rocking chair, I’m saying more 40’s on that one. The style of that chair definitely isn’t earlier than late 30’s or 40’s. That’s a style that was around when I was a kid.

Edit: Look at the crepe paper bell on the top of the tree. Those were popular in the 50’s and most likely the later 40’s. I don’t think you’d find those earlier than the late 30’s or 40’s.

Yes, I noticed the era image made

I was discussing actual age of plates

During WWII everything was rationed including film, so they used NOS Plates
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Don Dudenbostel View Post
    Looking at the Christmas shot I stick with my dates. The man’s hair and slacks look late 30’s to 1st half of the 40’s. Just because the plates are in an old box isn’t a guarantee they were exposed in that era. I had my wife look at them also. She was a creative director for a clothing chain and for the last 25 years been a fine artist and has researched clothing for her paintings. She agreed with the dates also.

Looking at the child in the rocking chair, I’m saying more 40’s on that one. The style of that chair definitely isn’t earlier than late 30’s or 40’s. That’s a style that was around when I was a kid.

Edit: Look at the crepe paper bell on the top of the tree. Those were popular in the 50’s and most likely the later 40’s. I don’t think you’d find those earlier than the late 30’s or 40’s.
    I have no reason to disagree with you, between you and your wife's background you'd know better than I. The only reason I was thinking earlier (much earlier) is because I had no idea people were shooting plates that late in history. I could understand a professional or enthusiasts shooting with plates, but I would think someone shooting family photos at Christmas would prefer the ease of film. You make a good point about the crepe paper bells, I remember those from the early 70's. Curious to know how late they were still putting candles on the trees in place of lights?

Thanks for the help.
    Mike

I thought I'd share the double exposure. The first shot is grandma. You can see a faint image of her face in the second one. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9435 lowres.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	237459Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9436 lowres.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	237460

"Topper" a popular 30's and 40's 's Ghost movie, I love it.

Even named my AKC Pug Cosmopolitan Topper from the Topper movies

Some may have made funny Ghost stills at home

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Topper_(film)

Quote Originally Posted by pigpen View Post
    I thought I'd share the double exposure. The first shot is grandma. You can see a faint image of her face in the second one. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9435 lowres.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	237459Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9436 lowres.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	237460
    Tin Can

and many posed their dead children as if alive

look it up
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    and many posed their dead children as if alive

look it up
    Yes, I've seen many postmortem plates for sale on ebay. I have seen the Topper movie, I spend a lot of time watching TCM.

From my early morning pre-coffee searches, I've read that candles on trees went out of fashion in the 1920's??? No way to know if the site is accurate. Here is a link to a photo of a tree dated ca 1880. It shows what looks to me a crepe paper bell???

https://historydaily.org/christmas-tree-100-years-ago

One Christmas I came home to a very drunk wife

40 years ago

the real tree had many candles burning

It was a real trick to handle her and get the candles snuffed

very scary

I could almost see the flames
    Tin Can

There are only 2 that I haven't posted here, the "landscapes". They won't help at all with dating, but I thought I'd share them anyhow. I thought the one had been fogged at first, but closer inspection shows a fire burning under the rock and the man on the left seems to be carrying a log. The other is just a shot of a snow-covered corn field.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9441 lowres.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	237461Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9460 lowres.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	111.1 KB 
ID:	237462