Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: The mythical perfect tripod

Re: The mythical perfect tripod

For studio stuff I use a Manfrotto 3051 Studio Pro Tripod (my heavy tripod...only cost me $25 used) and for on-location type work I use a Benro Classic A3580F (my lightweight tripod). Both work perfectly for what I need them to do but since I have a Wehman 8x10 I've been thinking about switching to a Feisol CT-3342 (since I saw that's what Mr. Wehman himself uses) and throwing on a Gitzo PL5 and a Zacuto quick release...but I'm not too sure.

I'm definitely going to keep following this thread

Mythical, as in - does not exist?

OK...a comfortable pack frame, with pack full of photo gear, and camera mounted on top of this - ready to use. When I see something I want to photograph, I pull a couple of levers on the pack frame, which releases two "back legs" which slide out of the bottom of the pack frame and contact the ground, at which point I lock these legs, climb out of the pack harness while holding the camera/two legs upright, then release a third sliding leg, swing the bottom of this forward and lock it in place.

As the camera is now positioned where my head was previously, I have a pretty good chance that its at or near where it needs to be, and the pack is now suspended from this to add stability - and all gear is accessible from this pack...right where it needs to be. The whole operation takes about one minute...maybe less.

This is something I've wanted to invent...but lately I'm finding that, having recently turned 60 - I just need to go out and create images.
    But if anyone out there could invent something like I've described above...please let me know!

Quote Originally Posted by axs810 View Post
    For studio stuff I use a Manfrotto 3051 Studio Pro Tripod (my heavy tripod...only cost me $25 used) and for on-location type work I use a Benro Classic A3580F (my lightweight tripod). Both work perfectly for what I need them to do but since I have a Wehman 8x10 I've been thinking about switching to a Feisol CT-3342 (since I saw that's what Mr. Wehman himself uses) and throwing on a Gitzo PL5 and a Zacuto quick release...but I'm not too sure.

I'm definitely going to keep following this thread
    I use a Ries J100 with double tilt head with my Wehman and it works really well. Ries claims a combined weight of tripod and head at 9 1/2 lbs. I do have an older version that weighs 10 pounds on my scale. I have heard good things about Feisol but in my case I don't know if it would help get me that much further from my vehicle due to my bad back. I love those Ries leg locks and spikes. Everything is a trade off.

Lafayette is a nice hike, actually the whole Franconia Ridge is a lot of fun. (I Live in the white mountains). The last time I hiked up there, it was mid-day so the light was fairly strong, and I skipped the tripod all together. For my lightweight hiking tripod though , I have something similar to fishbulb: 055CX carbon fiber with an Acratech GV2 head. Total is under 5 lbs. The cameras vary (Canham DLC, Cambo wide, chamonix saber) but it supports them all fine. For the ultralight 4x5 hiking setup, I bring the chamonix saber. It's limited to a single lens (120mm) but sometimes that's just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by nimo956 View Post
    What plates do ppl use for the Chamonix, which has both a 3/8 and 1/4 tripod hole. Will a Wimberley P50 work with a reducing bushing?
    I can't speak to the Chamonix, but with my Nagaoka wood 4x5 field camera (which has a 1/4 tripod hole in a metal plate on the bottom of the camera) , I just use a generic 60mm arca-swiss-compatible plate that I got on Amazon. It's super simple and works great with my Acratech GP ballhead - stays tight and doesn't move around. And the price is right, at $12.50: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0087QK9TG/

Really though, with a lightweight 4x5 like a Chamonix or any of the Japanese 4x5's like Nagaoka, Tachihara, etc., you can get a super light tripod setup for backpacking without spending a lot of money. An old Bogen 3001 aluminum tripod (precursor to the 190 series) with a head is under $100 on eBay - something like this or like this. And it weighs a surprisingly low 4-5lbs depending on which head you get with it. The 3001 by itself is only 3.6lbs.

No, it's not a Ries, no it's not as fancy as a carbon tripod, but it's cheap, light, and sturdy enough once you hang your backpack on it. I usually take my 055 carbon instead, since it's about the same weight and has a nice Acratech ballhead, but my old 3001 with the cheap Bogen 3028 three-way head is just as lightweight. And, it was $80 for the package instead of about $700 for the 055+ballhead.
    -Adam

I decided to give the RRS TVC-24L + BH-40 ball head (with panning clamp) a try. The whole setup is just over 5 lbs, which should be much lighter than the Ries. I also got some lighter 90mm and 240mm lenses, so the total weight savings of my gear should be about 8 lbs (28lb to 20lbs total).

Quote Originally Posted by nimo956 View Post
    I decided to give the RRS TVC-24L + BH-40 ball head (with panning clamp) a try. The whole setup is just over 5 lbs, which should be much lighter than the Ries. I also got some lighter 90mm and 240mm lenses, so the total weight savings of my gear should be about 8 lbs (28lb to 20lbs total).
    From what I hear the RRS tripods are the best carbon fiber tripods made. I know Frank Petronio bought one and just raved about it. He used it with an FLM ballhead and a Chamonix F1. I don't know if you knew of Frank but I really trust his judgement about gear. Frank's a professional photographer and has a lot of hands on experience with a lot of equipment.

Drew Wiley

Naaah. A personal blimp works the best, or my recent patent of a helium filled view camera bellows, that makes the camera lighter the bigger it gets.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Naaah. A personal blimp works the best, or my recent patent of a helium filled view camera bellows, that makes the camera lighter the bigger it gets.
    One question, Drew. Do you blow into your bellows to fill it with gas?

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    That would be great for using with a 6x7 Hasselblad!
    I only shoot 6X7 Hasselblad photographs with at tripod when I am doing cordless bungee jumping. It makes a big impact and I get a lot of coverage.
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.