Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast

Thread: Film prices (Kodak TMY in particular)

Re: Film prices (Kodak TMY in particular)

@ kodachrome beeing a pro does include beeing silent up about the size of your fridge. just do what you're doing ( I hope you make enough to save for your retirement) but making fun of the guys having fun with large format and enyoing it does do any good. I know you're great artist and TMY serves you well, but this doesn't make you a better human by any means ( obviously reading your posts).
    buy and use what ever you like, film wise, but please refrain from offering advice how others have to manage their economics of film or life

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Even scroungy rednecks will spend fifty grand fixing up some motorcyle, car, or speedboat that has already been obsolete for decades. Pick your passion. Bucks
    have little to do with it. People will spend two thousand dollars a year buying coffee, two hundred dollars on a meal, then complain if a gallon of fixer goes up ten bucks. I have a simple cure to feeling the pinch of 4x5 film. Shoot 8x10 for awhile.... How many damn shots do you need anyway? You can only print so many of them.
    Drew is right. My cure for thinking photography and bicycling were expensive was to get into flying and become a private pilot. ALL my other hobbies now seem cheap, including photography. Prioritize your spending. Given the time it takes to properly compose and expose a sheet of 4x5, it isn't really very expensive.

I'll still use other films though when I can get results just as good for my purposes for way less money than TMY-2, superb film though it is.

Quote Originally Posted by HeinrichVoelkel View Post
    @ kodachrome beeing a pro does include beeing silent up about the size of your fridge. just do what you're doing ( I hope you make enough to save for your retirement) but making fun of the guys having fun with large format and enyoing it does do any good. I know you're great artist and TMY serves you well, but this doesn't make you a better human by any means ( obviously reading your posts).
    buy and use what ever you like, film wise, but please refrain from offering advice how others have to manage their economics of film or life
    If you read my other posts, you will see I am just not cut out to be on the internet, I get too frustrated at all the talk and wasted energy...

You have far less posts than most, that means you get out and take photos and are thus, a superior human being. I don't consider my self or pros to be superior to other people, I consider people who bitch, complain, rack up post counts on the internet....inferior....because they can choose to be real, do something about it, make *real* photographs, but they dabble with this and that and never go anywhere, all talk, a few flickr happy snaps and that is it.

Frank Petronio shared this link today:

http://www.filmbodies.com/newsviews/...-going-up.html

I would not buy the Kodak film I adore for 4x5 if the prices change as rumored.

Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    Frank Petronio shared this link...
    Who?

Drew Wiley

Hard to say what relation profit structures in Japan has to do with here, esp in relation to the dollar/yen differential, which is not inconsequential at the moment.
    But simply policy-wise it works both ways. I remember when I was trying to sell Nikon survey equipment and the official importer (Nikon USA) wouldn't budge. After
    quite a season of flat sales, Nikon themselves (Japan) dumped their own official importer and signed on to a competing survey equip mfg. The price of the Nikon
    units instantly dropped 80%.

It's the Indian, not the arrow.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Drew Wiley

I prefer a straight arrow. ... and actually, I've got a lovely soapstone arrow straightener in my collection, John. It looks like a giant egg with a nice slot across the
    top. Since soapstone hold heat so well, they'd warm it up and then spin the reed thru that slot. I've seen the finished product too, though my klepto cousin stole
    that part of my collection long ago for drug money. ... But I like the extra bit of insurance that comes with Kodak film. It's more resistant to scratching, very consistent from batch to batch, close to full speed in TMax products. But this fact won't stop me from also using more affordable products when they will do. More
    often, if I'm starting to have budget issues, I just revert to 4x5 photography for awhile. Don't get as good a workout that way, however. Trying to build my knees
    up for the high country season.

Angry Re: Film prices (Kodak TMY in particular)

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Sounds like if you're in the East, you'd better stock up right now! And then you'll be relying on people in the West to send film to you. Yep, we'll become film runners!

Google translation:
    2014.5.2 Notice of Kodak Professional film price revision

From Kodak, due to lower demand worldwide as well as high raw material costs, such as acetate, price changes color negative film and black-and-white film of (some) have been announced. Please refer to "NP film price list 2014.6.1 (2014 end of May update plans)" for our sales price. From June 1, 2014: Price Revision Date. ※ For a massive hike in prices, holding is expected to buy by the user in the world. Please contact us as soon as possible for the possibility of short supply is high.

2013.5.8 Notice of 100 8 × 10 special price sale Kodak Professional Ektar color negative film

Kodak Professional film will be a price revision (price increases) from May 10, 2013. In addition, I became number unrealistic (order unit) that 80 months MOQ of 100 8 × 10 professional color negative film Ektar which had been the custom manufacturing units in 10 months prior.
    The Company, on top of the 30 months of custom-made, "than one month unit" We offer at a special price as long as the stock price changes before. For the factory up the end of April 2013, the deadline because it is well with October 2014, please use this opportunity deals. (If you wish) COD shipping fee, cool refrigeration service fee this product, all service at two or more! 100 8 × 10 (10sh) Kodak professional color negative film Ektar OpenPrice NP special price (including tax) \ 12,744 ※ The sold out after the purchase order in the 80-month basis (about 60 days) NP (tax inc.) \ 15,768 it becomes. By incorporating KODAK VISION Film technology for movies, Kodak professional color negative film Ektar (Ector) 100 is a professional color negative film that achieves the granularity of the world's best at ISO100 color negative film. Protective layer that is specially designed for scanners is, provides superior scanning characteristics and also has print large format, excellent properties to display output, and excellent reproducibility of the digital output.

Notice 2013.4.22 Kodak Professional film price revision

From Kodak, due to lower demand worldwide as well as rising raw materials prices such as crude oil and silver, price revision of professional film was announced. In addition, orders the end of production of 320 5 × 7 custom-made TXP were presented together. Price increase of 20% average (gold) price revisions May 10, 2013: Price Revision Date [Our Price is NP film price list , please refer to]. [Price revision item] * mark (about 60 days Kodak home country order) custom-made product. Need a custom order unit: MOQ.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans