Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: On craft and life.

Re: On craft and life.

yea.. but the same could be said of photography. There are people who would have the same reaction to a $300 photograph. Why would that picture be any different from one you could cut out of a magazine , or download for free

Quote Originally Posted by C_Remington View Post
    I think it's BS.

I can appreciate the dedication and the sacrifice to a craft but, don't charge me $300 for raw fish on rice.

I LOVE sushi and have eaten it all over the U.S. While his may be good, I'm sure, that in a blind test of sushi from San Francisco to NYC to Japan, NOBODY would be able to pick his out.

Just because someone dedicates their life to making the best Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich doesn't mean it's awe inspiring and inspirational. I think it's weird.

I just saw how Jack Daniels is made. It's been refined and produced similarly over the last 100+ years. Now there's a dedication to a craft that's practical and reasonable. Why don't we talk about that????

Quote Originally Posted by Jim collum View Post
    yea.. but the same could be said of photography. There are people who would have the same reaction to a $300 photograph. Why would that picture be any different from one you could cut out of a magazine , or download for free
    Agreed. I would never pay $300 for a photograph if I could cut it out of a magazine.

Would you??????

Agreed. I would never pay $300 for a photograph if I could cut it out of a magazine.

Would you??????
    ? why would this be surprising (is this a real question?) . i've bought & sold pictures for a lot more than that. I place value on who, how, on what this picture is reproduced. Many, many more see no difference between a magazine copy and a silver, platinum, inkjet copy. I'm sure there are individuals to whom the person preparing, the sauce, choice of fish, method of preparing the sushi rice make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim collum View Post
    ? why would this be surprising (is this a real question?) . i've bought & sold pictures for a lot more than that. I place value on who, how, on what this picture is reproduced. Many, many more see no difference between a magazine copy and a silver, platinum, inkjet copy. I'm sure there are individuals to whom the person preparing, the sauce, choice of fish, method of preparing the sushi rice make a difference.
    Maybe I don't appreciate HOW something is created as much as I appreciate WHAT the final creation is, regardless of how it was created.

Or, maybe I can respect HOW something was created but, don't think that has any bearing to WHAT the final product is.

Ok. I can appreciate that perspective , and then understand why the reaction to the movie.

Maybe I don't appreciate HOW something is created as much as I appreciate WHAT the final creation is, regardless of how it was created.

Or, maybe I can respect HOW something was created but, don't think that has any bearing to WHAT the final product is.

I can appreciate the dedication and the sacrifice to a craft but, don't charge me $300 for raw fish on rice.
    Of course, with the movie (and all the other press coverage prior) it's worth every bit of $300--just for the bragging rights!

--Darin

Great sushi is art, just like great paintings, great wine and photography. All are infused with the special talents and attributes of the maker in a way that elevates the object above the average, or even above most of the best examples. But real appreciation can only come to those who have tried or understand the craft and those who have been exposed to the full range that the discipline has to offer. Cost is irrelevant. Equal greatness can be found in the inexpensive as well as the most expensive.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Thanks for sharing. One very well made film on a what really matters in life. One of the best items to come across LFF in a long time.

Jiro's views and ideas about life can be applied to most things in life. It is much about being passionate about what one does in life, continual growth within and always seeking to better one-self.

Jiro mentions in this film that if he had a better sense of taste or is more sensitive he can make better sushi. The same can be applied to image making, if the image maker/artist develops a greater sensitivity and awareness to what is being created or what is to be created, the resulting images can be of greater significance.

This is way of life is also much about relationships and less about making money..

Anyone notice how happy Jiro is with his life and how he remains passionate about life?

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    The most inspirational film on photography I have seen in some time:

http://video.pbs.org/video/2365134660/

+1

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Potter View Post
    Great sushi is art, just like great paintings, great wine and photography. All are infused with the special talents and attributes of the maker in a way that elevates the object above the average, or even above most of the best examples. But real appreciation can only come to those who have tried or understand the craft and those who have been exposed to the full range that the discipline has to offer. Cost is irrelevant. Equal greatness can be found in the inexpensive as well as the most expensive.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

I think it's BS.

Just because someone dedicates their life to making the best Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich doesn't mean it's awe inspiring and inspirational. I think it's weird...........

I just saw how Jack Daniels is made. It's been refined and produced similarly over the last 100+ years. Now there's a dedication to a craft that's practical and reasonable. Why don't we talk about that????
    Why haven't you talked about JD before? I have no idea. I wouldn't talk about Jack Daniels because I rarely drink hard liquor and have no appreciation for it. You could give me swill and I wouldn't know the difference. That discussion would be meaningless to me.

Sushi on the other hand is something I have some broad experience with and have developed some expectations of quality. I can guarantee that someone who has developed a critical palette for any food can discern the difference in the same way that though I live in New Mexico, where Mexican food is everywhere and I have eaten it all over the continent including all over Mexico, but my favorite Mexican restaurant is Rick Bayless' La Frontera Grill in Chicago-simply in a league by itself and very pricy. My wife is also one of those people with a very discerning palette for many cuisines, including sushi, but that is her business as she is a professional chef. She is incredibly picky about sushi because of the raw fish and can tell how fresh fish is and whether it has been properly handled, stored and prepared in an instant. She can also tell you what "cut" of the fish is being presented, cheek, belly etc. Interestingly enough when we translated the prices mentioned on the show she thought they were quite reasonable given the quality of the process and product.

Hell I get $400 for an 8x10 inkjet and I know, given what goes into it-a lifetime of training and experience, that it is a bargain.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"