Page 226 of 655 FirstFirst ... 126176216224225226227228236276326 ... LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,260 of 6546

Thread: Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

Re: Images shot on X-ray film

In regards to D-23, it works fine. Try diluting it 1+1 to 1+3.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    In regards to D-23, it works fine. Try diluting it 1+1 to 1+3.
    Thanks. I didn't want to go the Rodinal route because it would only be any good to me for the 8x10 XRay film. For all the other film I shoot, it's just too grainy. I was turned off of Rodinal in 1974 and never touched it again. D-23 has much more versatile usability.

You should find that the xray negative won't be nearly as grainy as Rodinal, due to its high sodium sulfite content. I have also tried two-bath D-23 with sucess. Will you be wet printing on silver papers?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    You should find that the xray negative won't be nearly as grainy as Rodinal, due to its high sodium sulfite content. I have also tried two-bath D-23 with sucess. Will you be wet printing on silver papers?
    Yes--ordinary photographic paper and Dektol.

Re: X-ray Film example and comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by gavjenks View Post
    Yes, in fact it ONLY works with a single side emulsion. I used to only use mammo film which is one sides, but now I also do it with double sided emulsions since I learned how to strip off the side that touches the wall with bleach after developing (it is horribly messed up, but if you just strip it, it doesn't matter).
    Interesting idea. Do I understand this correctly?
    - expose the film
    - normal develop the film
    - afterwards strip the back side of the negative with bleach?

Doesn't it affect the emulsion on the good side, or is it just a matter of carefully bleaching? How do you do this?
    Thanks,
    Bert from Holland
    http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl

Quote Originally Posted by TheToadMen View Post
    Interesting idea. Do I understand this correctly?
    - expose the film
    - normal develop the film
    - afterwards strip the back side of the negative with bleach?

Doesn't it affect the emulsion on the good side, or is it just a matter of carefully bleaching? How do you do this?
    Thanks,
    Bert from Holland
    http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    I think it is described in this thread a few times, but yes, you strip it after processing is all completed (because that's when the other emulsion is most hardened and resilient).

All i do is lay a piece of glass in my sink so it is diagonal. Then splash some water on the surface, slap the film good-side-down, rub it around a little bit to free air bubbles (if your glass is clean, this won't scratch it at all), and push and sweep with my fingertips to also release air bubbles, leading to a decent seal. This water seal alone is sufficient to keep bleach off of the good side if you're careful.

Then I use a common cleaning sponge (soft side) with some bleach squirted on the edge full strength. I hold one corner of the negative with my left hand and sweep middle to edge on the opposite corner and then pick up the sponge and return to middle again (so you're never pushing from outside in, which could push bleach under the lip). Repeat 20 swipes, then hold another corner and sweep the opposite of that 20 times, for all 4 corners. You can see the emulsion being removed, so if 20 sweeps doesn't do it then keep going till it's gone.

Avoid moving the negative around on the glass, because it can glide into and over an area with bleach on it. that's why you want a firm hold on the corner opposite your sweeping direction, so you don't shift the film unnecessarily. i also always sweep the bottom corners first, to minimize the time that bleach is at the top of the glass and is thus being potentially pulled under the film by gravity etc.

Drop sponge in the sink and immediately flush hands and film and the entire glass sheet with copious amounts of water (few seconds of faucet running and splashing it around). Then pry up one corner of the film with fingernails, flip it over and flush directly in the faucet in case any bleach got behind at all.

Now rinse in distilled water or dip in photo flo or whatever you normally would do, and hang to dry.

If you're in a confined space with a less-than-stellar fan, like an old bathroom, i suggest opening the door before doing this. Bleach fumes can be strong, and at this point, the film is developed already, so light doesn't matter.

After a few sheets of practice, I quickly got to the point where I have a nearly 100% success rate in not accidentally bleaching any portion of the good emulsion side whatsoever.

Please note that this is probably terrible for the environment. Ideally, you should be collecting your silvery-infused bleach liquid in a container somewhere, for electrolysis at some point to reclaim the silver metal (tiny bit of $$ but also stopping it from polluting. Same with used fixer)

Newbie--Seattle Lite

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    I used Pyrocat MC in a Jobo with Fuji Green. I used an EI with a green/yellow filter of 50 for landscape, and there was plenty of shadow detail, but then the Kodak film is no doubt different. I'll have to give the R09 a try, especially given how cheap it is to use.

Newbie--Seattle Lite

Just a question, I'm new to the large format x-ray film thing. I'm shooting with a 8x10. I just purchased a yellow 4in x 4in filter. You mentioned a yellow green filter. Is this a combination, or a yellow and green filter together? Thanks,
    The Seattle guy...R.W.Delung

Quote Originally Posted by rdelung View Post
    Just a question, I'm new to the large format x-ray film thing. I'm shooting with a 8x10. I just purchased a yellow 4in x 4in filter. You mentioned a yellow green filter. Is this a combination, or a yellow and green filter together? Thanks,
    The Seattle guy...R.W.Delung
    Its a single filter, at least in my case. I am sure you can get it done as two, it just probably will end up eating more light.

Btw, if you dont mind me asking - where, and how much it was? (i am looking for one)

Quote Originally Posted by gavjenks View Post
    I think it is described in this thread a few times, but yes, you strip it after processing is all completed (because that's when the other emulsion is most hardened and resilient).

All i do is ...
    Thank you for your patience and the explanation (I haven't read all the 688 posts in this thread yet).
    I was thinking about getting me some Fuji X-ray film since it is cheap and available in 18x24 cm format, but I wondered how to handle double coated film.
    Now I know