Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern lens with old picture look

Modern lens with old picture look

Hello,

Is there any modern lens with shutter that has similar to old lenses RR, Aplanat, petzval picture (not so contrasty, good bokeh)?

Thanks.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Re: Modern lens with old picture look

If you're using the lens stopped down and working in b/w, there won't be too much difference between a Petzval, aplanat, or rr and a modern lens. Maybe a little bit in contrast due to the coatings, but all will be pretty sharp.

The Petzval will have a look all its own at wider apertures, (curved field, soft corners, maybe some swirl sometimes), and no modern lens will give that look. Rapid Rectilinears and Aplanats (pretty much the same lens) will again look not that different from a modern lens.

The petzval will have its own pronounced bokeh. The RR/Aplanats I'm not so sure about...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Congo makes a soft-focus lens in two focal-lenghts, 150mm and 200 mm.
    http://www.cosmonet.org/congo/index_e.html

3d Visual Effects artist

I bet a small company could make some good money, making modern petzval lenses for a variety of formats (from 35mm, all the way up to big LF cameras). I mean, the petzvals aren't really that precise to make, are they? certainly not as precise as modern lenses, I would guess.

when I get time, I'm going to try and make one for a 35mm camera
    Daniel Buck - 3d VFX artist
    3d work: DanielBuck.net
    photography: 404Photography.net - BuckshotsBlog.com

Lens Babies

3d Visual Effects artist

lens babies tend to smear the image, more than anything else, from the images I've seen. Just like using a single element lens.
    Daniel Buck - 3d VFX artist
    3d work: DanielBuck.net
    photography: 404Photography.net - BuckshotsBlog.com

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_Buck View Post
    I bet a small company could make some good money, making modern petzval lenses for a variety of formats (from 35mm, all the way up to big LF cameras). I mean, the petzvals aren't really that precise to make, are they? certainly not as precise as modern lenses, I would guess.

when I get time, I'm going to try and make one for a 35mm camera
    Um, Daniel, those old Petzvals were designed and made as carefully as modern lenses are. No one, except perhaps the clowns who make and sell LensBabies, has set out to make a bad lens. Many makers have made lenses to prices, which is very different from making bad lenses.

There are modern -- or relatively modern -- Petzval types, and I'm surprised that none of the people here who want the awful effects they give when abused has mentioned trying them. Projection lenses. The lenses used in overhead projectors have lotsa coverage too, but as I understand it getting the nauseating swirly bokeh requires using a lens on a format it won't cover.

SadChi, the old-timey effect is due to exposure, the emulsion and paper used, exposure again in printing and sometimes even aging of poorly-fixed prints. I have some pre-WWI lenses that shoot just fine on modern films.

Cheers,

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    SadChi, the old-timey effect is due to exposure, the emulsion and paper used, exposure again in printing and sometimes even aging of poorly-fixed prints. I have some pre-WWI lenses that shoot just fine on modern films.

Cheers,

Dan
    Dan,

So one old lens does not make old photo look. Somehow old ambrotypes are very attractive, but the process is too troublesome. I' interested how will sinaron-s work on a wet plate.

Thanks to all, yours answers are precious.

wfwhitaker

Ambrotypes are too much trouble, but you want to do wet plate? I don't understand.

If you want the look of an old lens, use an old lens. And Dan's point is valid. The lens is but one link in the chain contributing to the look of a vintage print.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by wfwhitaker View Post
    If you want the look of an old lens, use an old lens. And Dan's point is valid. The lens is but one link in the chain contributing to the look of a vintage print.
    Agreed, but there is also the look of certain vintage lenses on modern materials that can be quite lovely.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."