Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: new T-Max

grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

new T-Max

Who, if anyone, is stocking the new T-max in 4x5 yet? I am low on film and have to order some more soon, and would like to try out the new T-max, but around here in Canada, so far, nobody has it. I have been phoning and asking, but no luck so far.

You know what the really sad thing is, for me? I live maybe a 4 hour drive from Rochester, NY, but we are likely the last people on planet earth to see anything new from Kodak. You'll likely see this film in Shanghai or Rome or Sao Paulo long before it ever reaches Canada. Seriously, I'm not being facetious here, although I wish I was.

joe
    eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?

Re: new T-Max

Sorry grumpy & miserable.

Perhaps Kodak is mixed up in the border wars over soft lumber?

There are large and good camera stores in Canada from whom you can order on-line. Toronto has nothing? Amazing. Canada is the USA's largest trading partner. You'd think for all the oil we get from the north, a few sheets of T-Max can't be exchanged?

I have no idea if ordering from Badger Graphics, B&H, or Calumet here in the US would pose a shipping / tariff problem.

Good luck.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

I recently emailed BandH and asked if they had the newest Tmax 400(4x5 50 sheet). They assured me they did since they "sell out every 2 weeks" I don't think what I received was the new stuff. Doesn't it have "now the sharpest 400 speed film" or new improved or something tell-tale on the box?

Quote Originally Posted by keith english View Post
    I recently emailed BandH and asked if they had the newest Tmax 400(4x5 50 sheet). They assured me they did since they "sell out every 2 weeks" I don't think what I received was the new stuff. Doesn't it have "now the sharpest 400 speed film" or new improved or something tell-tale on the box?
    The new and improved TMY sheet film is not in the business mix yet but should be very soon. We are waiting on samples to test for a future VC article. There is packaging differentiation that easily identifies the new emulsion. In this regard you can't blame B&H for wanting to clear their inventories of the older emulsion. I ordered 3 50 sheet boxes of the old TMY in 8x10 just because I maintain a consistent inventory in my freezer and I find the "old" emulsion as appealing as the new one as I find they are both fabulous sheet films.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Calahan View Post
    There are large and good camera stores in Canada from whom you can order on-line. Toronto has nothing? Amazing.
    -snip-

Well here goes..
    - 8 Elm Camera, who normally stock all sorts of 4x5 and other sheet films, including papers and chemistry, have nada, and are not sure when (maybe in the new year);
    - Rob at Big Camera Workshops stocks Ilford, not Kodak;
    - Harrys Pro Shop is all hardware, never any film;
    - Henry's and Visteck I've pretty much given up on. If you want to talk mega pixels and memory cards, they are both great places to call and get expert advice, but the moment you mention film, argh......
    - and for all the rest of the major camera stores on both Queen street and Younge Street, when i was there in the big old TO this past May, I went to many of these places, and it's all digital, digital and digital.

Toronto may act like it's the centre of the known universe, but it' got a ways to go.

As for my favourite local camera store, Reade's, who do stock hard to find Kentmere papers (even the occasional box of fibre based stuff too! ), they've not had any luck at all either.

Got a trip to the Keys I hope to be going on in early February, looks like I'll be shooting HP5.

Hi Joseph,

Out here on the west coast its no better. I buy all my Ilford 5x7 film from Rob Skeoch, but trying to find any tmax400 in 8x10 is a pain in the arse. The Camera Store in Calgary had a few boxes in stock last time I checked. I bought one and the y had about 5 left. They ship quickly and there's no sales tax!

Actually, Fairfax is the center of the universe. Unfortunately, all the cool stuff is out on the edges. Here in the center, it's basically a vacuum. I have to order everything from afar. I can't buy any sheet film locally, although there is still one store that carries 120 roll film.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Well, consider where I live and then ask if you're really so hard done by.

I can only add that once you find a place that comes through for you for analog supplies, SUPPORT THEM, and let them know you appreciate it. You'd be surprised how far one letter to a manager can go.

Well to add some more humour to the situation, on the news yesterday on TV there was a report that Toronto is suffering a shortage of snow shovels.

Not even the end of December, and the largest city in Canada is running out of snow shovels - a Pythonequse moment if there ever was one. So I suppose worry about sheet film in Toronto is pretty low on the food chain.

They're going to stop making snow shovels soon because snow can be removed in photoshop. Stock up while you can!