Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jobo 2509N reel problem

Re: Jobo 2509N reel problem

This only happens with the 2509n reel? Not the B's insert? Do you load the film with the notches first? How many sheets at the same time, and does it affect them all?

Looking at my 2509n reel, I am at a loss as to what could cause those marks, unless the film is not slid all the way in to the end. Even then I cannot account for the curved motion of one of the marks. If the paddles are used properly, the film is not going to move. I suppose that doing inversion with insufficient solution might cause the film to flex that much - but I can't see that happening with six sheets loaded and a normal slow inversion. I only do rotation with my Jobo 2500 series tanks.

I do wonder if the film is properly loaded in the holder. The curved mark could be caused by the darkslide hitting film that was not in the guide slot, and the heavy dark marks at the flap end could be from the corners of the darkslide hitting the film. I can't see this happening exactly the same way every time, though.

I have multiple 2509n reels and Jobo tanks they fit in. Those marks appeared no matter what variation of agitation I tried. My solution was to purchase a number of HP Combiplan T tanks and set them up as this article advocates:

Results are absolutely even and free from any kind of anomalies. Just as even as what comes out of my CPP/2 and Expert drums, but with the advantage of intermittent agitation.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Patterson View Post
    This only happens with the 2509n reel? Not the B's insert? Do you load the film with the notches first? How many sheets at the same time, and does it affect them all?

Looking at my 2509n reel, I am at a loss as to what could cause those marks, unless the film is not slid all the way in to the end. Even then I cannot account for the curved motion of one of the marks. If the paddles are used properly, the film is not going to move. I suppose that doing inversion with insufficient solution might cause the film to flex that much - but I can't see that happening with six sheets loaded and a normal slow inversion. I only do rotation with my Jobo 2500 series tanks.

I do wonder if the film is properly loaded in the holder. The curved mark could be caused by the darkslide hitting film that was not in the guide slot, and the heavy dark marks at the flap end could be from the corners of the darkslide hitting the film. I can't see this happening exactly the same way every time, though.
    This problem only occurs when using the 2509N reel(I don't use B's 4x5 developing reel). And it always happens.
    Anyway, I'm going to test again by changing the film direction. Also, I'll test again following your advice.
    Thank you!
    Chamonix 45N-2, Chamonix 45H-1

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    I have multiple 2509n reels and Jobo tanks they fit in. Those marks appeared no matter what variation of agitation I tried. My solution was to purchase a number of HP Combiplan T tanks and set them up as this article advocates:

Results are absolutely even and free from any kind of anomalies. Just as even as what comes out of my CPP/2 and Expert drums, but with the advantage of intermittent agitation.
    I also have three clean HP Combiplan T tanks. But I'm not used to developing in the dark.
    But maybe I'll try it one day.
    Thanks!

I've just had a close look at my 2509N reel and the paddles.

Now I don't have any sheets of film in the reel slots, but I noticed something which may be relevant to single rotary developing, as opposed to forward and reverse rotary developing. It is a bit of a long shot, but gently pushing the paddle(s) from one end, the paddle moves ever so slightly and the opposite end protrudes, or sort of protrudes from the reel a tiny bit.

If the rotation direction was always the same direction, then I'm thinking the paddle(s) may end up protruding a slight bit and causing some swirling or maybe a small agitation drought area.

Whereas forward and reverse agitation may counterbalance this possibility.

Just sort of thinking out loud here.

When I do rotary developing with a 2509N reel, I use B's Processor and operate it in bidirectional rotation mode.
    Anyway, thank you for the detailed explanation.

p.s. To prepare the films needed for various developing tests, I went out to a nearby area today and took some photos.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gihl_240113_0054.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	245528

Never had any issues with 2509N reels. 100% smooth and even. B&W and color. Inversion & rotation. I am finding 4x5 to be less prone to issues than 120! Maybe there's some kind of manufacturing variability going on, since some folks are reporting issues with 2509N reels no matter what they try?

In the end no sheet film processing system is perfect, and the reality is that technique must be changed to suit the idiosyncrasies of the tank and reel to optimise results.

I did have trouble with the 2509n in the CPE2 but that went away when using the high speed setting. At low speed I had marks at the short end of the film.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

I had the same or very similar issue when developing film in the 2509N with or without the "paddles".
    Usage of an Expert Drum solves all the issues and makes the outcome as perfect as it gets each and every time. It is very economical in chemicals usage too.