Death Valley Dune

Roger Thoms

Re: Folio Exchange Images

Approaching Storm – Zion National Park UT

Jim Becia

Jemez Birch

Don Bryant

About the Image: I made this image off the road side on my way to the Jemez State Monument near Jemez Springs. I noticed these trees and rock and thought that the site had interesting photographic possibilities but decided not to stop. After driving a few more minutes I changed my mind and returned to make a photo. Access to the subject was very easy, but placement of the camera was very difficult since I ended up standing atop a very large boulder that had an evil slant. With great difficulty I set the camera up and composed and made two exposures. The famous photo, curmudgeon, David Vestal, once wrote that just because a photo was difficult to make doesn't mean a good photograph will result. For me, I was quite pleased with the minimalist composition of the young birch tree and ancient stone. Not a grand landscape photo, but just a small detail of the enchanting forests scenery found in the Jemez range.

Technical Details:
    Camera: Calumet C1 with 5x7 back
    Lens: 210mm Caltar
    Film: Ilford HP5
    Exposure: not recorded
    Printer: Epson 3800
    Paper: Epson Enhanced Matte

Ski Tow Rope Operation

Thad Gerheim

About the Image: Outside of the small town of Challis, Idaho is a ski hill owned and operated by the local Lions Club. The rope tow operator is volunteer Travis Bullock, whose real job is a hunting outfitter. The truck used to power the rope is a 1940 something military rig that broke down after this photo was taken. An adult can ski all day for five dollars and have a burger and chips for three dollars in the lodge (shack). This photo was taken at about 2 PM.

Technical Details:
    Camera: Toyo AX Field Camera
    Lens: 90mm Rodenstock Grandagon-N
    Film: Fuji Astia
    Filter: Polarizer
    Exposure: ˝ second @ f45
    Printer: Epson 7600
    Paper: Canson Rag Photographique

Blue Hen Falls, Cuyahoga Valley National Park, Ohio

Mike Sherck

About the Image: I was participating in an Analog Photographer's User Group (APUG) outing and I chose Blue Hen Falls as my first subject. There is a short hike over a paved trail from the parking area back to the falls. When I arrived, the falls were enjoying a lovely light filtering through the forest canopy. The vantage point I chose was on a ledge about halfway up the falls. The photograph turned out just as I envisaged it when I set up the camera and I am inordinately pleased by that. This is the photograph I set out to take, and I can't often say that my original vision survives the process intact.

Technical Details:
    Camera: Zone VI 4x5
    Lens: 210mm Fuji
    Film: T-Max 100 developed 6.5 minutes in D-76 @ 1:1
    Filter: Polarizer
    Exposure: 1 second @ f22
    Paper: Ilford Multigrade IV fiber-based contrast paper processed in Dektol 1:2. After fixing and washing and I gave a six minute bath in hypo clearing agent mixed with Kodak Selenium toner 1:9 then further washing

Cypress Slough – Palestine, AK

Ron McElroy

About the Image: I often photograph in the Flat River delta of western Arkansas. On this fall morning I left Memphis with the intent of photographing the large grain dryers in Wheatley, Arkansas. Near Palestine, about 15 miles east of my destination, I found a small cypress slough. I only had time to make two compositions before the light changed.

Technical Details:
    Camera: Zone IV 4x5
    Lens: 120mm Schneider Super Angulon
    Film: Tri-X rated at ISO 160 developed N+1 in HC110
    Filter: #15 Orange
    Exposure: ˝ second @ f32.5
    Paper: Ilford Multigrade

Stacks – Image 12 – Oregon Coast

Richard A. Johnson

About the Image: This is image #12 from a folio of twelve images. The images in this series have been stored in my files for the past twelve and a half years. They were photographed on a trip that my family and I took to Netarts on the Oregon coast. Years later when I came across these negatives, I began to reflect on the environment in which these icons have been created. I can recall standing on the water's edge watching wave after wave crashing against these formations. The interaction between the ocean and the shoreline showcased the shaping landscape. Each structure seemed to have its own character, spirit, and unique way of presenting itself to the world. But at the same time, I also remembered the feeling of such peace and solitude coupled with the wonder and mystery of how it all came to be. The realization that this landscape was a moment in time, and that it would always be changing brought me the understanding that it would never be the same. Fast forward twelve and a half years later to the completed final phase of this project. I have tried to present in these images, a sense of place and time, the ever changing state of the landscape, and my continued growth and photographer.

Technical Details:
    Camera: Toyo 45AR Field Camera
    Lens: 210mm Rodenstock Sironar-N
    Film: T-Max 100 rated at ISO 80 and developed in HC 110 dillution B for 7 minutes
    Filter: Polarizer and orange filter
    Printer: Epson 4000 using Rustica curve #3
    Paper: Hahnemuhle Photo Rag 308gsm smooth finish

Racetrack Playa – Death Valley

David Silva

About the Image: this is one of my favorite landscape images. I traveled to the race track in Death Valley National Park to photograph the mysterious and moving rocks located on this large playa. I walked and walked searching for them; unfortunately, people are now taking the rocks and leaving only their trails. On the way back to the truck, I found this unique alluvial fan.

Technical Details:
    Camera: Crown Graphic 4x5
    Lens: 90mm Schneider Angulon
    Film: Tri-X developed in HC110
    Exposure: Not recorded
    Paper: Ilford Multigrade

Telephone Box – Grwyne Fawr Valley

Steve Gledhill

About the Image: I’d planned a visit to this lovely area of the Brecon Beacons in South Wales and had arrived well before sunrise. After driving in the area for maybe 30 minutes I passed this phone box which I had seen before but not realized it’s potential. I looked in the rear view mirror and saw the sun would soon be up and had the idea that there might be a picture here. I set the camera tripod on a mound of earth and then realized something special might happen as the sun approached the horizon. I’ve taken many images with the sun in full frame so I knew not to be concerned about flare etc. I exposed for the deepest of the shadows in the woods and moments after the sun breached the horizon and the trees and its rays fell directly on the phone box - but for no more than a minute before moving behind the trees. The early morning frost on the glass windows of the phone box glowed and gave me such a thrill. I shot two sheets of film then it was all over. Images like this can only be captured by those who are dead lucky – or those who spend a long time out with their cameras just looking and waiting. I’m not the former!

Technical Details:
    Camera: Zone VI 5x4 Field Camera
    Lens: 90mm SW Nikkor
    Exposure: 3 seconds @ f32
    Development: XTOL @ 1+2 : 9 minutes @ 24°C : continuous agitation
    Printer: Epson 4800 set to advanced B&W with warm tint; H=6 V=6
    Paper: Ilford Galerie Gold Fibre Silk

Rocks #6

Darren Kruger

About the Image: This image was taken at south point in Point Lobos State Natural Reserve in California in February of 2010.

Technical Details:
    Camera: Toyo 45CF
    Lens: 300mm DoctorAPO Germinar
    Film: Ilford FP4 developed in Dektol
    Paper: Agfa MCCIII developed in Print WA

Unnamed Falls - Kicking Horse River

R. Scott Walker

About the Image: This image is from Yoho National Park in British Columbia, one of the areas that you may find me when I am out with a camera. There are lots of tripod holes along this river especially at the Natural Bridge near Emerald Lake or Wapta Falls where most days it’s difficult to capture an image without having someone wander in front of the camera. This image is not from one of those places.

Technical Details:
    Camera: Homemade 4x5
    Lens: 150mm Schneider Symar-S
    Film: T-Max 100 developed in D-76 @ 1:1, normal development
    Paper: Ilford Galerie FB Grade 2 in Dektol 1:2 for 2 minutes and selenium toned 1:10 for 4 minutes

Cleopatra’s Droppings – Canyonlands National Park UT

Erik Larsen

About the Image: I took this image in the spring of 2010 in the Maze District of Canyonlands National Park. My friend Jeff and I reserved a backcountry permit to camp at the base of a large monolith named Cleopatra's chair. I was expecting the photo opportunities to be of the grand vista type. But to my surprise, our campsite had no such vistas, so I searched for the “not so obvious” photographs. After hiking around the base of Cleopatra's chair, I saw the composition that eventually became this photograph. What interested me was the large boulder with its obvious visual appeal, but then I saw the way the light was basically framing the shot for me. This negative was originally intended to become a carbon print due to its high contrast. I set up the 11x14 and exposed a couple of sheets with a 19 inch Red Dot Artar and then a couple more with a 24 inch Red Dot Artar. I preferred the tighter crop of the 24 inch lens.

Technical Details:
    Camera: 11x14 Gundlach
    Lens: 24 inch Red Dot Artar
    Film: Efke PL 100 developed in Pyrocat M 2+2+100 for 18 minutes in a Jobo CPE2
    Exposure: ˝ second @ f64
    Paper: Ilford Multigrade Warmtone Semi Matte in Dektol 1:3 selenium toned for 6 minutes

Death Valley Dune

Roger Thoms

About the Image: I visited Death Valley in late February and the sand dunes turned out to be one of my favorite spots there. I headed out every morning before sunrise to catch the dunes before the hikers and other photographers trampled all over them. On this particular morning, the night before had been quite windy so the dunes were pristine. The morning light was also incredible, and this photograph was the result.

Technical Details:
    Camera: Sinar Alpina 4x5
    Lens: 210mm Fujinin-W
    Film: Tri-X developed in D-76 @ 1:1
    Paper: Ilford MGIV FB developed in Ethol LDP 1:1 and selenium toned for 6 minutes

Approaching Storm – Zion National Park UT

Jim Becia

About the Image: last fall I spent five evenings sitting, waiting, and watching in the Kolob area of Zion. Everyday was a cloudy, windy, cold day, providing some very challenging conditions for photography. On the fourth evening came a small break in the clouds to the west, and this area lit up for what seemed like just seconds. I was able to take two sheets of film before the nice light disappeared. It wasn't until I saw the processed film that I realized how nice those few minutes had been.

Technical Details:
    Camera: Ebony RW 8x10
    Lens: 150mm Nikor SW
    Film: Velvia 50
    Printer: Epson 9600 with Ultrachrome Inks
    Paper: Canson Baryta Photographique

Thank you everyone, enjoy

Scott,

Thanks for posting everyone's images and info. Jim

Preston Birdwell

What a wonderful collection of truly outstanding work!

Good job, everyone!

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Excellent work! It's great to read the details behind each photograph.