Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Film Holders not secure...should I worry?

Exclamation Film Holders not secure...should I worry?

Hey, everyone. I am brand-new to Large-Format so please go easy on me

I just got my first Large Format camera... a Toyo Omega View 45F. It's a wonderful machine, and it should prove fun when I get my 150mm F/5.6 Schneider convertible lens in.

my concern is film holders. I was told by the ebay seller I got the camera from that these film holders are for the Toyo, but I am unconvinced. The plastic film holders mate to the surface just fine, but they have, essentially, flat edges. When the film-holder retainer clips close in on the holders, they don't hold. I mean, it's fine, but if I apply so much as fingertip pressure my light-seal is pretty well gone.

Is this common to 4x5 view cameras? I know it's a whole different world, but it seems really insecure. I am used to medium-format cameras where you can pick the camera up by its film holder. Should I replace these holders? I got 5 of them, and they seem okay aside from the fitment issue. Should I dremel/file notches in them so the retaining blades bite into them and hold them securely? Should I not worry about it? I'm really confused.

Re: Film Holders not secure...should I worry?

It sounds like you are only using the Graflok clips to hold the film holder.

Does the camera have the ground glass spring back?
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org

Deardorff Sales and service

can you post some images with your digital camera we all own but will not admit to?
    Ken Hough Deardorff Refinisher since 1982
    Deardorff Factory refinisher / remanufacturer 1982-88
    Deardorff Factory Historian 82-88
    Deardorff Cameras on Facebook
    www.deardorffcameras.0catch.com

Quote Originally Posted by dsphotog View Post
    It sounds like you are only using the Graflok clips to hold the film holder.

Does the camera have the ground glass spring back?
    You know, now that you say it, it seems like exactly what I'm doing. That's a silly thing to do. In order to avoid confusion, I'll post pictures of what I have: The ground glass back, the film holder(s) and the revolving back adapter on my 45F.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeardorffGuy View Post
    can you post some images with your digital camera we all own but will not admit to?
    These pics are from my camera-of-last-restort, my iPhone. As last resorts go, it's not a bad one.

The ground glass back mounted on the camera:

Ground glass back: reverse side

Film Holder Edge Detail

The interface with the camera

I knew something wasn't right with this whole thing. What am I missing, where do I get it, how much is it, and how many F-bombs do I put in my email to the eBay seller?

Slide the film holder in the gap on the short side of the groundglass. it will be held tight by springs. Dont take the back off.

If you look at your groundglass back you will see a lever on the right hand side. If you pull that lever back a gap should open up. Slide the film holder in to that gap and the close the lever. That is how you load a film holder into a Toyo.

Okay, I never would have figured that out on my own. I just tried it. Slick system, real slick.

I guess all I have to yell at my eBay seller for is not including manuals Thanks for all your help!

unixrevolution: A manual? Forget about it. They don't have manuals for LF cameras. I asked.

I'm a newbie like you and I learned the hard way Have fun!

I become more and more impressed with this forum everyday. You guys really helped this newbie with out being condisending.
    It gives me a warm and fuzzy.
    Have a great day.

Calligrapher John

Overworked and Underpaid Guy

Actually what you can do is to setup the system, slide in a unloaded film holder, then take out the lens board. If you find that sliding out the dark slide doesn't move the holder and causes any light leak, you are fine. You can use it to check for light leak in bellow and other places with a torch when doing it in a dark place. Hope it helps