Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Something happening with Kentmere

Something happening with Kentmere

I absolutely HATE so called "doom and gloom" type of posts, as it gets me all tensed up, but I think I should relate this.

I just got a shipment from Freestyle (film and neg sleeves), and got a print-out enclosed indicating that Kentmere Kentona, Bromide, Fineprint and Select VC have been discontinued in most sizes, in addition to Fotospeed Lith FB matte and semi-matte in some sizes, and of course various Forte papers (we knew that already, of course), but there are some Foma sizes and product discontinued also. I don't know if this means just FREESTYLE is discontinuing, or if Harman is discontinuing (regarding Kentmere).

Update:

I telephoned Freestyle, and they said the Kentmere Bromide FB is discontinued, and all except 8x10 and 11x14 sizes of Kentona, then some sizes of Kentmere Fineprint Warm Tone and Neutral Tone Finegrain Semi Matt and Glossy, and then some roll and sheet sizes of Kentmere Select VC Glossy.

They also said that their comparable Arista private label paper made by Kentmere (Harman) is discontinued but will be replaced with another paper in the fall.

Re: Something happening with Kentmere

What Kentmere fiber product does that leave? Also, doesn't Kentmere make Adox Variotone for them?

Drew Wiley

Is this just a distribution issue with Freestyle? Just got a 50-sheet box of 20X24
    Fineprint from them. This is the finest VC paper I've ever used, as far as tonality goes. Hate to lose another good paper right on the heels of the demise of Forte.
    B&H still shows inventory. But in today's wacky economy, who knows what will happen next. I was hoping to try some 30-inch wide stock. But before there's a panic
    we need to know the facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Is this just a distribution issue with Freestyle? Just got a 50-sheet box of 20X24
    Fineprint from them. This is the finest VC paper I've ever used, as far as tonality goes. Hate to lose another good paper right on the heels of the demise of Forte.
    B&H still shows inventory. But in today's wacky economy, who knows what will happen next. I was hoping to try some 30-inch wide stock. But before there's a panic
    we need to know the facts.
    I agree we need to know. Freestyle told me today on the phone that the products I mentioned in my post were discontinued. They also told me that they would continue to carry all available Kentmere product. So, I guess you can guess from there.

Wow. If true this is terrible news. I need a freezer.
    Will Wilson
    www.willwilson.com

If this really is the case (I am just hoping it is not), then it is bad news. I wonder why Harman would do this after acquiring Kentmere, and the immediate answer that comes to mind is not one I like to think. On the other hand, I don't see it as being a technical issue if Kentmere could make those papers and Harman/Ilford cannot, but I am no expert. Could it be unavailability of a key component? I don't know. I just hope we get some clarity on this matter.

Freestyle told me several months ago that the rebranded Kentmere (ultra II or whatever ) was discontinued and only what they had on the shelves remained. I hope Kentmere finegrain vc isn't going away. Maybe I'll quit photography.

POP's gone as well, over here we call it asset stripping.
    Pete.

A little more information here,
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum172/...-kentmere.html

including the link from PHOTOTONE to what is on clearance at Freestyle the US distributor.

“Here you go, the clearance pages:

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/clearance.php

The implication to me, until we hear from Simon at Ilford, is that what is not on clearance may be continued for a while. I use the listed Fineprint VC 20x24 for 8x10 negative enlargements. I use 16x20 split for 7x17 contacts. The 20x24 is listed. The 16x20 is not. It is like waiting for the other shoe to drop.

John

Best read this.

The latest news from Ilford/Harman Technology.

Ian