Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast

Thread: December portraits

Re: December portraits

Hey dizzy.... try and over expose by about one stop say 200 ..... you would be amazed at the detail in the hair and face that would show up. Have you tried Pyrocat HD? One stop and compress the contrast a tad when you scan.... LOL Then i would do a dry scan ... i bet it was a mess.

Shooting it 200 would be under, but I get what you mean It wasn't really on my mind when I made this portrait, just a quick "Hey, lets take 1 quick shot before you guys walk out the door" Haven't tried PyrocatHD yet. Been using D76 exclusively though I'm looking towards others soon, still quite limited in experience in developing.

It really wasn't that bad. It did clean up some of the flaws in the negative itself though it introduced new things to clean up (bubbles)...Here's almost the full res.... http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8499/8...7013a7bd_o.jpg

No it would be over.... open one stop 11 to 8 or 8 to 5.6 you would need more light . trust me on this.. When you do it again..... keep the develop the same and shoot for 200 ..... i promise you will be amazed.....

You're right, I hadn't had my espresso yet when I first read it

PhotobyMike - If you are amazed on pulling Trix 320 to 200 then try to shoot in 100 ISO But then you must little bit lower the developement. I am always using this setup by artificial light. (including D76) 200 is ok for outside, but for flash photography and portrait do the 2 stop overexpose for best results...

Accordionist ... I am working on "pulling" testing today... i got a good deal on some Trix 120 from BH ... different developers am going to try is HC110 which is new to me...and Pryocat HD without tumbling...I suspect underdevelopment will not work well with Pyrocat HD. I have experimented with different mixes of Pyrocat to control contrast. Last week it was Fomapan 100 .... which does not "pull" well 50 is the best...... But a good portrait photographer always knows to "pull" his BW shots at least one and maybe two stops.... color not so much..... When i shot transparency always half a stop more for good saturation.

December portraits

Quote Originally Posted by photobymike View Post
    Accordionist ... I am working on "pulling" testing today... i got a good deal on some Trix 120 from BH ... different developers am going to try is HC110 which is new to me...and Pryocat HD without tumbling...I suspect underdevelopment will not work well with Pyrocat HD. I have experimented with different mixes of Pyrocat to control contrast. Last week it was Fomapan 100 .... which does not "pull" well 50 is the best...... But a good portrait photographer always knows to "pull" his BW shots at least one and maybe two stops.... color not so much..... When i shot transparency always half a stop more for good saturation.
    I'm confused, why pull the the B&W? Wouldn't that create MORE contrast and lose details in the shadows? Not doubting just asking.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I'm confused, why pull the the B&W? Wouldn't that create MORE contrast and lose details in the shadows? Not doubting just asking.

Thanks
    Thats why when you scan you cut back on the contrast slightly... mmmm This portrait is one i did a number of years ago in my studio. If you look closely you can see the shadow of my background light on the white paper back drop (highlight). Over exposed and scanned with some contrast taken out.... The toe is where the shadows has got detail (well we hope). i think speaking zone system ... moving 5 to 6.... jeez i am sorry i cannot remember ..shifting the whole grayscale one notch while keeping contrast normal..... thats what i try for in portraits. If i remember right that is a black tee shirt he is wearing.... The shirt is not in the very end of the toe. or "base" of the film.

Yes but i want more dynamic range from Trix ....so am testing at asa 50 100 200 ect... using shorter developing times.... A lot of times photographers confuse contrast with dynamic range.... very different ....

my brain hurts....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	V750 scan209.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	86425

ps i went to school with a daniel stone in michigan.... i am sure you are not him but had to ask

December portraits

Quote Originally Posted by photobymike View Post
    Thats why when you scan you cut back on the contrast slightly... mmmm This portrait is one i did a number of years ago in my studio. If you look closely you can see the shadow of my background light on the white paper back drop (highlight). Over exposed and scanned with some contrast taken out.... The toe is where the shadows has got detail (well we hope). i think speaking zone system ... moving 5 to 6.... jeez i am sorry i cannot remember ..shifting the whole grayscale one notch while keeping contrast normal..... thats what i try for in portraits. If i remember right that is a black tee shirt he is wearing.... The shirt is not in the very end of the toe. or "base" of the film.

Yes but i want more dynamic range from Trix ....so am testing at asa 50 100 200 ect... using shorter developing times.... A lot of times photographers confuse contrast with dynamic range.... very different ....

my brain hurts....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	V750 scan209.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	86425

ps i went to school with a daniel stone in michigan.... i am sure you are not him but had to ask
    I see, sort if, my problem is I don't at ALL understand my scanner, or rather Silverfast, the images come out almost black, do I use Epson scan program which is always normal so any under or over exposure and the scan looks odd somehow, sort of like it was foggy grey toned.

Someday I'll learn it I guess... I'll remember what you said and look for the functions.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post

Thanks
    Why? Because the images are far better Especially in the shadows. Here can you see film response curve - http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/dslr/crvFilm.gif
    Now, when you shoot in the ordinary way, the shadows will be in the "toe" (nonlinear) area of the curve. They are still there, but not as rich as you will expect. So, if you will give two more stop in exposure, shadows will go upper in the curve. Clearly all of the tones will go upper, so you must adjust (reduce) the developement. (by the artificial light, where the contrast is offten low I keep normal developement times) The negatives are maybe little bit darker, so you will need to add more light under the enlarger, but this is a reasonable price for the results... Try it. (ideally "by the water edge" in deep forest, i trust you will be amazed) And why to use this procedure by portraiture, when the face is in zone 6 or so? I trust, that it will bring more beautifull skin tones. Ad when the subject has black hair, why do not have very rich detail in every sepatated hair?