Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Classifieds?

Re: Classifieds?

Quote Originally Posted by onnect17 View Post
    Regarding any deal with Kerry, yes. I was ready to buy a lens from the 100 list when Susan’s post called my attention.
    I don't recall you ever contacting me directly about anything I've ever offered for sale. Perhaps you did and I just don't remember it.

In any case, all you have to do is click on my user name to send me a PM (that's PRIVATE message) or an email and I'd be happy to answer specific questions about anything I have listed in the classifieds section.

Kerry

While Kerry is more than capable of "defending" himself, there isn't another person on this board that I trust more. I've purchased from Kerry numerous times. I've also met Kerry and hiked and shot with him. There is no one more giving of his time and knowledge when it come to LF. I once bought some film from him on a trip and I didn't have the funds for the film with me, he simply said send him a check when I get back (which was several weeks.)

Happy to see Kerry active again here on the forum. Jim Becia

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    No, it's in response to problems that result from mere existence of a classifieds category, Kevin's attitude/complaint being just one of many. I quoted Kirk simply to highlight the moderators' workload. Please read what I wrote in its entirety:

I didn't expect any more agreement now than when my position was unpopular before the category existed. However, since events in the interim seem to validate such opposition, it seemed worth repeating.
    FWIW (nothing) I share your opinion. I think this was a better, more pleasant forum before the classifieds existed . I think the classifieds have drawn some people here whose principal interest is selling or buying gear rather than contributing anything of value to the forum. And oddly enough, they sometimes seem to be the people who complain the most about some aspect of the forum.

Of course it probably could also be argued that some people initially drawn here by the classifieds remain here and end up contributing. So it's hard to say but on balance I'd come down on the side of getting rid of the classifieds and going back to what the forum used to be, i.e. a pure discussion forum.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by urs0polar View Post
    . . . As for me, the classifieds work great; as someone else said, I learn a lot just from seeing people post lenses. I hate eBay, pretty much done with that place. That leaves, here, KEH, Igor's, and BH/Adorama (in the US at least). Not a whole lot of places. Please keep the classifieds!!! This talk is freaking us out! heh
    :-)
    In the interest of accuracy, and not because I care that much one way or the other about the classifieds, there are other places on line devoted to sales of LF gear besides this forum. You aren't limited to ebay, KEH, Igor's, etc. Two places I've used that immediately come to mind are APUG and the LF section in the photo.net classifieds.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be

Although I don't buy and sell a lot on this forum I consider the classified section a valuable resource. If you take into account the hundreds of transactions that take place here without incident the overall impact on the forum is far more positive than negative.

And just for the record, I agree with the policy that requires that sellers put a price on their merchandise rather than ask for offers. I hope the moderators hold to this position and continue to insist that a selling price is included in all adds.

Sandy King
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Kevin Kolosky

I respect your opinion, but would like to understand your logic behind your opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Although I don't buy and sell a lot on this forum I consider the classified section a valuable resource. If you take into account the hundreds of transactions that take place here without incident the overall impact on the forum is far more positive than negative.

And just for the record, I agree with the policy that requires that sellers put a price on their merchandise rather than ask for offers. I hope the moderators hold to this position and continue to insist that a selling price is included in all adds.

Sandy King
    I think what you mean to say is that in your opinion the overall impact on the forum is far more positive than negative. Not everyone shares your opinion. But if we must have the classified section I agree that a price should be required on each item rather than soliciting offers.
    Brian Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    I think what you mean to say is that in your opinion the overall impact on the forum is far more positive than negative. Not everyone shares your opinion. But if we must have the classified section I agree that a price should be required on each item rather than soliciting offers.
    And yet Bryan.......you participate heavily in the For/Sale section, some 34 of the last 80 threads you have started were to sell items. You certainly take advantage of it.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    And yet Bryan.......you participate heavily in the For/Sale section, some 34 of the last 80 threads you have started were to sell items. You certainly take advantage of it.
    Actually Kirk almost all my recent listings - those within the last roughly year and a half - were made when I was selling a lot of photography equipment as a favor for a friend who inherited it from her father and had no idea how to dispose of it. But I've certainly sold some of my own equipment there too. I didn't realize that using the forum precluded one from thinking this would be a better place without it. Is that supposed to make me a hypocrite in your view? And if not, what's your point?
    Brian Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin J. Kolosky View Post
    I respect your opinion, but would like to understand your logic behind your opinion.
    It is kind of like this. If you ask for offers it opens up something of a bidding war.

If I sell a piece of photographic equipment to a friend who understand the value of photographic equipment I ask for what I consider a fair price. I don't want to get into a bidding war with my friend.

This is a community of people of like interests, or friends. If I want to get the most for my item, or pay the least, I will probably go to ebay.

Hope that explains my logic.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon