Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Epson V800-worth upgrading Silverfast 8 to Silverfast Studio?

Re: Epson V800-worth upgrading Silverfast 8 to Silverfast Studio?

I am not mad. I am sorry. I got off on the wrong foot here. I would like to apologize to all.

The remarks about my inexperience are right on. I sadly discovered that today after bragging about SilverFast.

I think the problems is that I have this 5 x 7 negatives and feel a lot of pressure to get them scanned in and returned. That needs to be my focus right now. But you are right. Do the best I can and move on.

Again, I am sorry about any abrasiveness that I have displayed. I hope I am not normally like that.

Thanks again.

Smorton

Don't feel bad - we're all old and grouchy. A flat scan isn't necessarily a bad scan if it has all the different shades of gray in the negatives, albeit at lower contrast. If the information is there you can do a lot with it in Photoshop or the equivalent (Is there an equivalent???) to make the print look the way you want. I think a lot of folks here don't do much if any processing in the scanning software. I personally look at it as just a way to capture the information that's on the negative. Everything else is left for later.

Thanks Jim:

I live in Minnesota, where Grouchy Old Men was filmed. Also the movie Fargo. Yes, we actually talk like that.

What I am doing now is scanning in the 5 x 7's and getting generally a flat image. As you state, that is not all bad. I then open the image in Photoshop CS6. I then adjust it with various tools and if I get an acceptable image I move on to the next negative.

I need to come up with a naming convention. I don't think that will be a problem.

I will keep my original scan and the adjusted one. I may call SeaGate tomorrow and make a low ball bid on buying the place (ha).

I have the latest version of Lightroom. I think I will use it to keep the files organized. Some of the files are big. I am uncertain if Lightroom will be okay with that.

Thanks for the expressions of good will and kindness.

Smorton

I'm born Mpls, family from Hinckley/Sandstone, via Norway.

Randy,

I don't know if you still live in Minnesota but the winters are getting to be way too much.

Smorton

Chicago since 1967.

We are having mild winters more or less.

I was disappointed by the Chicago blizzard of '67 when I found it was abnormal. Had some years of snow here, about every decade we get buried.

I like snow, ice & fire. We skated entire lakes as kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Chicago since 1967.

We are having mild winters more or less.

I was disappointed by the Chicago blizzard of '67 when I found it was abnormal. Had some years of snow here, about every decade we get buried.

I like snow, ice & fire. We skated entire lakes as kids.
    You gained a little in terms of harsh winters.

Happy Scanning.

Smorton

Quote Originally Posted by Smorton View Post

What I am doing now is scanning in the 5 x 7's and getting generally a flat image. As you state, that is not all bad. I then open the image in Photoshop CS6. I then adjust it with various tools and if I get an acceptable image I move on to the next negative.

Smorton

Check out this link for a very good tutorial on scanning B&W film with Epson Scan.

http://www.kennethleegallery.com/htm...ning/index.php

The goal in scanning is not to get an image that is perfect, but to capture as much useful information as possible so that you can make a perfect file in Photoshop. Ken's tutorial shows you how to set the end points so that you won't lose valuable tonal information in the shadows and highlights.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

If
    the goal in scanning (a negative) is not to get an image that is perfect, but to capture as much useful information (in the negative) as possible so that you can make a perfect file in Photoshop
    , then it necessarily follows that the negative is the "perfect file" and doesn't require "Photoshop."

To ask the obvious: Why are you scanning?

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Check out this link for a very good tutorial on scanning B&W film with Epson Scan.

http://www.kennethleegallery.com/htm...ning/index.php

The goal in scanning is not to get an image that is perfect, but to capture as much useful information as possible so that you can make a perfect file in Photoshop. Ken's tutorial shows you how to set the end points so that you won't lose valuable tonal information in the shadows and highlights.

Sandy
    Many thanks

Smorton