Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: On the Forum's Value

Born L.A.-NYC is 2nd Home-Rustbelt is Home Base

Re: On the Forum's Value

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    It's interesting to note that Forum participation increased by at least 50% since this thread first appeared in November. In the years that I have been a member, participation ran about 50% of that on Aug. Now its running neck to neck with apug. For example there are 869 online on Aug and close to 700 on LF. Barring any evidence to the contrary, I'll have to take the credit for the sudden and spectacular increase.

But the Forum still lacks stimulating discussion on a regular basis: too many threads are still unbearably frivolous. Let's have more inspiring discussions on photography.

Thomas
    When a forum is public, you have to take all comers and get gems as well as trash. I use the new posts feature and scan what content interests me.

. . . Barring any evidence to the contrary, I'll have to take the credit for the sudden and spectacular increase.
    Interesting conclusion. I thought it was the result of stellar administration.

But the Forum still lacks stimulating discussion on a regular basis: too many threads are still unbearably frivolous. Let's have more inspiring discussions on photography.

Thomas
    It's interesting to note that since you created this thread, the threads you have started are about the minimum aperture of a lens, storing a lens, purchasing a lens board, bellows draw for a specific lens, and flattening paper. If you would like to see improvement in the ratio between frivolous discussions and inspiring discussions on photography, you may want to consider being an active participant in that change.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Barker View Post
    After getting a 5-day "time out" I know the only reason I returned is because of the magnificent influence of tgtaylor.

Richard M. Coda

sounds like something a professional critic would say... and we all know about critics!
    Photographs by Richard M. Coda
    my blog
    Primordial: 2010 - Photographs of the Arizona Monsoon
    "Speak softly and carry an 8x10"
    "I shoot a HYBRID - Arca/Canham 11x14"

Value..

The hundreds of genuine efforts to assist and teach far outweigh the few that may annoy.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Barker View Post
    Nope. In fact one of the moderators had posted an analysis showing that participation had actually declined in recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Miller View Post
    It's interesting to note that since you created this thread, the threads you have started are about the minimum aperture of a lens, storing a lens, purchasing a lens board, bellows draw for a specific lens, and flattening paper. If you would like to see improvement in the ratio between frivolous discussions and inspiring discussions on photography, you may want to consider being an active participant in that change.
    And each of those threads pertained to a real question that I had at the time and was not a troll for posts. In fact the minumun aperature thread was quite interesting (I thought) and generated 15 replys. I did need a #3 Toyo lensboard and ended up getting one from Adorama. The question regarding the bellows draw was (for me) a significant one since I was debating purchasing either a 450mm Nikkor or a 480mm apo-ronar and they Toyo-View website seeemed to indicate that the standard bellowws wouldn't support the latter. I ended-up buying an absolutely mint ronar that was never even mounted and came with the mounting screw in place! Now owning 3 dedicated 8x10 lens on 6" boards, I needed some way to store them and wasn't aware that photobackpacker sold 8x10 lens cases. I bought one!

The last 5 of my threads compare quite favorably to your last 5 and if you looked at my 7th on the 75th Anniversary of the Golden Gate Bridge, you will have found a link to free electronic download of the Exhibition catalog.

Since you have made an issue of my posts, I am posting below the last 5 images that I have posted. Have you posted any images on this forum?

Untitled, 2012

6x7 Pentax camera, 120mm soft focus lens, Fuji Acros, Ilford MG Art.

Thomas
    Pt. Reyes

Thomas

The Golden Gate Bridge @ 75

Toyo 810G, 360mm Schneider Symmer-S, Delta 100. Salt print on 140-Lb Fabriano Aristrico toned in Gold and Platinum.

Thomas
    Well, here goes another salt print on the wrong side of Bergger Cot 320:

Hospital (Ruins). Camp Reynolds, Angel Island, California

This is a pre-World War I hospital which probably saw service during the Spanish American War or possibly earlier. For further information on Camp Reynolds and Angel see http://www.militarymuseum.org/CpReynolds.html

Toyo 45CF, 150mm Lens, Fuji Acros, foggy day. Toned with gold borax.

Thomas

GO GIANTS!!![
    Red's Java House, San Francisco

A fixture on the San Francisco waterfront since the 1920's. If the plan to build a waterfront stadium for the Warriors basketball team goes thru, this structure will go.

Toyo-View 810G, 360mm Lens, Delta 100. Printed as a Van Dyke on Fabriano Aristico EW HP paper.

Thomas