Page 48 of 60 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast

Thread: How about some infrared images

Re: How about some infrared images

You could try a slightly stronger IR filter, like the b+w 93, allowing you to capture IR from about 820nm and beyond... but expect very long exposures. Did you shoot this recently? Winter is my favourite time to shoot IR films (at least it was with HIE), as there is less IR energy. You will have better luck with the Efke and an opaque IR filter like the Wratten 87C.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I'm really frustrated with this image, I had taken a TMY-2 shot of it which I've posted previously, but I really wanted this shot to SHINE IR, but instead it flops, the water isn't at all black, the IR doesn't cut through the fog, and the tree's and other things really don't shine, I know this is slightly under-exposed, but the UV index was high this day, so I would have thought I would get more IR light in the image, and again, why the heck is the water and sky completely white in an IR image... I know Rollie doesn't have the effect that my EFKE does, which I've been alternating between to try and find a way to get the Rollie to at lest somewhat behave like I envision my IR images to be, but certainly not here.

Looking at my notes, I did also shoot a sheet of EFKE so I guess I was trying to compare, it's been so long I hadn't remembered, and the stack of EFKE IR is next on the list to be processed.

Anyway wanted to share regardless.

4x5 Rollie IR 400 | 450mm w/ R72 filter | f/22 @ 1/60th | HC-110(B)

Attachment 143216
    IR does not cut through fog, its merely a cloud that's grounded and think of those bright fluffy clouds in an IR dark sky. Water vapor blocks infrared pretty effectively, what you are thinking of is the UV haze you get shooting distances with normal film. So the fog looks white and the water reflects it to look white also.

How about some infrared images

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    You could try a slightly stronger IR filter, like the b+w 93, allowing you to capture IR from about 820nm and beyond... but expect very long exposures. Did you shoot this recently? Winter is my favourite time to shoot IR films (at least it was with HIE), as there is less IR energy. You will have better luck with the Efke and an opaque IR filter like the Wratten 87C.
    The Rollie IR isn't sensitive to the spectrum that far, any stronger of a filter and it would just be a blank image as far as my understanding goes. Also, at $100 a filter, a filter mind you that few people will re-buy, I can't risk that. But I'm fairly confident my understanding is correct on that a stronger filter wouldn't show anything.

I believe the 87c and R72 are the same aren't they?

This was mid-summer

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Beasley View Post
    IR does not cut through fog, its merely a cloud that's grounded and think of those bright fluffy clouds in an IR dark sky. Water vapor blocks infrared pretty effectively, what you are thinking of is the UV haze you get shooting distances with normal film. So the fog looks white and the water reflects it to look white also.
    Oh! Got it, thanks that helps a lot!

The 87C is opaque. If you hold it to your eye, you can barely see a bright light source. The R72 is very dark red. Not opaque. I own both filters and use them on Efke IR. Exposures are usually tremendously long, once filter and reciprocity factors added. I almost always shoot at f/11. I use the R72 on Rollei. Most of the filters I own are Wratten gels. The R72 is the only glass filter I own. Cheap on ebay.

John Olsen

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I'm really frustrated with this image, I had taken a TMY-2 shot of it which I've posted previously, but I really wanted this shot to SHINE IR, but instead it flops, the water isn't at all black, the IR doesn't cut through the fog, and the tree's and other things really don't shine, I know this is slightly under-exposed, but the UV index was high this day, so I would have thought I would get more IR light in the image, and again, why the heck is the water and sky completely white in an IR image... I know Rollie doesn't have the effect that my EFKE does, which I've been alternating between to try and find a way to get the Rollie to at lest somewhat behave like I envision my IR images to be, but certainly not here.

Looking at my notes, I did also shoot a sheet of EFKE so I guess I was trying to compare, it's been so long I hadn't remembered, and the stack of EFKE IR is next on the list to be processed.

Anyway wanted to share regardless.

4x5 Rollie IR 400 | 450mm w/ R72 filter | f/22 @ 1/60th | HC-110(B)

Attachment 143216
    I'm glad you posted this, as I'm tempted to shoot my precious Rollei IR, Konica750 and HEI on overcast days - we get a lot of them!
    But, water vapor is a strong absorber of infrared in the band that Rollei can see, up to 720 nm. Looking at the spectrum below you'll see that if you were shooting Kodak HEI (and maybe Efke) you'd be just beyond the water vapor band. That's why traditionally HIE was known for cutting through hazy scenes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	transmission.JPG 
Views:	70 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	143292

I've got some Konica750 thawing out now, but I'll wait 'til I see some sunlight.

I used to use Konica a lot in Japan. Nice film and was sad to see it go.

Chair by Andrew O'Neill, on Flickr

Old wooden chair up against wood panels. Abandoned farm house in Japan. One of the few times I used the 87C opaque filter on Kodak HIE. I always had issues with focusing with this filter. I remember I shot this at an EI of 1.5. f/16 and a very long exposure after reciprocity effect applied. When making the print, a wee bit is cropped off the left side.

I haven't been on the forum in quite a while, and it has been a treat to rummage through these threads and see so many fantastic images. They've reminded me of a few things that I've done over the past year or so. Here's one from the Inner Harbor here in Syracuse, with the towers of Assumption Church in the background.

4x5, Shen Hao
    150mm Fujinon
    Rollei IR 400, Hoya R72 filter

Name:	Inner Harbor-Assumption-IR.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	144870

John Olsen

Quote Originally Posted by John Olsen View Post
    I'm glad you posted this, as I'm tempted to shoot my precious Rollei IR, Konica750 and HEI on overcast days - we get a lot of them!
    But, water vapor is a strong absorber of infrared in the band that Rollei can see, up to 720 nm. Looking at the spectrum below you'll see that if you were shooting Kodak HEI (and maybe Efke) you'd be just beyond the water vapor band. That's why traditionally HIE was known for cutting through hazy scenes.

Name:	transmission.JPG 
Views:	70 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	143292

I've got some Konica750 thawing out now, but I'll wait 'til I see some sunlight.
    I found a better absorption plot for your cloudy day infrared shooting. It's from whatsupwiththat.com, along with other good stuff.

Name:	atmsoabsorp.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	144921

Our infrared photography is right at the spot for absorption by several molecules, the rightsided red line in this graph. I hadn't thought about the methane band before: another good reason not to shoot near pig farms!

I have shot Konica on days with heavy overcast and was surprised and pleased when unseen textures in the clouds showed up on the film. That absorption can work in your favor sometimes.