Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast

Thread: June 2011 Portraits

Re: June 2011 Portraits

Bubba... by Scott --, on Flickr

My lacrosse-playing son, again. Really a test to see if I snaked out the light leaks in the 10x12.

Star Camera 10x12, City Sale & Exchange 16" f/8 RR, Adox NP27 in HC-110 dil H.
    Last edited by Scott --; 29-Jun-2011 at 11:31. Reason: Stupid typos...

Grafton, Utah
    4x5 Arca-Swiss, 210mm 5.6 Symmar-S Schneider lens, Fuji Astia 100.

While photographing the ruins at Grafton ghost town in Utah, I met the woman on the left. She told me that she had ancestors that lived in Grafton and that she had brought her daughter to experience the place and learn something about her family's history. I thought it was a cool story, so I asked if I could make a portrait of them in front of the old schoolhouse.

[View Large]

Computer Science Major
    California State Polytechnic University, Pomona, CA
    4x5 Arca-Swiss, 210mm 5.6 Symmar-S Schneider lens, Kodak Portra 160.

This is a portrait of one of my roommates. It was taken at the end of the quarter while he was preparing to move out of our apartment for the summer.

[View Large]

Math Major

This is a portrait of one of my roommates. He has an intriguing story although he is too modest to admit it. Looking at him one might just assume that he is a typical math student, and all the Asian stereotypes would apply. Yet, he struggled in high school and managed his way through multiple continuation schools before making his way to Cal Poly Pomona. The fact that he made it to a four-year university is quite impressive, but a math major on top of that makes his story very compelling, and for kids that are going through similar experiences in high school he represents a positive example.

[View Large]

Taken with a 3x4 Graflex SLR on Efke 100 film, developed in Rodinal 1:12 for 7 minutes

http://www.flickr.com/photos/timefreeze/5879199986/

Long time onlooker, almost read this whole forum thorough. I just sorted out scanning on a cheap Cannon all in one. Had a few glasses of wine so I gathered the courage to start posting.
    Two of my girlfriend and one of my friend who just left to work on a project in Rio.
    Hp5 with a Cambo in my front yard, the two verticals are with the Schneider Symmar 210 convertible, and the one of Melodie on the bench is a Symmar 135 convertible. All wide open.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Nice Logain
    Thanks! I forgot to add, any constructive comments are welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewtc4 View Post
    Long time onlooker, almost read this whole forum thorough. I just sorted out scanning on a cheap Cannon all in one. Had a few glasses of wine so I gathered the courage to start posting.
    Well done. Very nice. Keep posting. More wine! More photos!

Eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

keeping plugging away at trying to get my large format film work ok.
    [IMG] window light by Marvin d martian100, on Flickr[/IMG]

Cheers,

Mart

Quote Originally Posted by dperez View Post

Grafton, Utah
    4x5 Arca-Swiss, 210mm 5.6 Symmar-S Schneider lens, Fuji Astia 100.

While photographing the ruins at Grafton ghost town in Utah, I met the woman on the left. She told me that she had ancestors that lived in Grafton and that she had brought her daughter to experience the place and learn something about her family's history. I thought it was a cool story, so I asked if I could make a portrait of them in front of the old schoolhouse.

[View Large]

Computer Science Major

This is a portrait of one of my roommates. It was taken at the end of the quarter while he was preparing to move out of our apartment for the summer.

[View Large]

Math Major

This is a portrait of one of my roommates. He has an intriguing story although he is too modest to admit it. Looking at him one might just assume that he is a typical math student, and all the Asian stereotypes would apply. Yet, he struggled in high school and managed his way through multiple continuation schools before making his way to Cal Poly Pomona. The fact that he made it to a four-year university is quite impressive, but a math major on top of that makes his story very compelling, and for kids that are going through similar experiences in high school he represents a positive example.

[View Large]
    I found the 1st and 2nd to both be nice photos. Number #3 is excellent. The composition is perfect and I love the 3d effect. The holes in his socks are such a strong point particularly when matched to your story of him.
    david

dperez,

I really like your portraits, and the last one best of all, but the first is also excellent. Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay DeFehr View Post
    dperez,

I really like your portraits, and the last one best of all, but the first is also excellent. Thanks for posting.
    Jay,

Thanks for your kind words. I really appreciate it. I also like #3 a lot as well. I find that it suits his personality really well. He is a very sharp lad, very bright. The multitude of lines and angles in that hallway got me to thinking that it would go well as a setting for a portrait, and I figured all the lines would fit with his math background. Also, there is some irony in the image too, as he is an atheist and the image has some elements found in religious paintings; such as the halo of light around his head, and the cross-like shapes found in a number of places in the image. I did not intend it that way at the time, but I can't deny it now.

As far as #1 is concerned, I am growing to like it the more I look at it. I like the expressions of the mother and daughter. The daughter looks like she might be worn from a long road trip, with that gaze going off in the distance and the band-aid on her ankle. Her mother has a beautiful sense of pride in her expression, and I get the sense that she has a lot on her mind.

Thanks again.