Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What lab services are most needed?

Re: What lab services are most needed?

If redundancy equals demand then i add my 2-cents for large - 8x10 // 11x14 digital negs to contact print P/P prints -- just say when.

Film splicing and reeling/loading I think would be a boon. making my own 8mm from 16mm is on my list to do but daunting.

When it comes to optically printing, I Think it is the way to go, and get a separate scanner only module for those who want scanning.
    My other thought Is I don't know how much outside service would mail in to specifically get optically printed results, while I think that if your local market wants it They would be the main reason to do it.

I don't know if you already have someone in your town who does full camera and lens CLA's but that would be something to team up with and have "in house".

Stock chemicals.
    If E6 and c41 kits are coming hard to get and you can make/stock them to ship out, do so.

Have one or 2 ready made frame lines. and develop a relationship with a nearby framer to give your customers XX% off photographic framing.
    ~nicholas
    lifeofstawa
    stawastawa at gmail

I think that you're beating a dead horse, but for what it's worth:
    I'd like to be able to send you my B&W negatives (4x5 and 5x7), have them developed in a PYRO developer, and scanned.
    Good Luck!
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Really not sure what you mean about the dead horse,
    but film process in specific developers would something we would do.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    I think that you're beating a dead horse, but for what it's worth:
    I'd like to be able to send you my B&W negatives (4x5 and 5x7), have them developed in a PYRO developer, and scanned.
    Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Really not sure what you mean about the dead horse,
    but film process in specific developers would something we would do.
    Even old horses get recycled.

I think Bob is hoping to ride a renaissance, as many of us are.
    Tin Can

Randy you are pretty much right on, there are lots of youngsters out there that cherish what we do , who better to help them than someone who has spend his or her whole life working in this industry.
    With a few basic moves, and a very smart young social Media coordinator people like my wife can start managing my mini lab operation again. She has over 25 years of experience. Basically the industry is internet based and mail in from all points.
    Our goal is to find the right youngsters and combine them with a few of us old farts {old horses} that have experience and equipment this the combination will work. My only employee is a young woman with a degree in textiles, but she is in tune with arts and social media brilliant, together we make a good team.

I have been waiting for this moment where all the mainstream labs give up services due to lack of demand, I hope to jump in and be one of the last resources left. With good equipment and fresh minds I can manage this for another 25 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Even old horses get recycled.

I think Bob is hoping to ride a renaissance, as many of us are.

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Randy you are pretty much right on, there are lots of youngsters out there that cherish what we do , who better to help them than someone who has spend his or her whole life working in this industry.
    With a few basic moves, and a very smart young social Media coordinator people like my wife can start managing my mini lab operation again. She has over 25 years of experience. Basically the industry is internet based and mail in from all points.
    Our goal is to find the right youngsters and combine them with a few of us old farts {old horses} that have experience and equipment this the combination will work. My only employee is a young woman with a degree in textiles, but she is in tune with arts and social media brilliant, together we make a good team.

I have been waiting for this moment where all the mainstream labs give up services due to lack of demand, I hope to jump in and be one of the last resources left. With good equipment and fresh minds I can manage this for another 25 years.
    You must be younger than me. I'm 65, but I do have a finger on the pulse of Chicago hipsters, as I live among them.

I will not be doing what you do, but have plans.

Good luck, i think you do know exactly what and how to do it.

Cool!
    Tin Can