Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Commandments of Cruising for Snaps

Re: Commandments of Cruising for Snaps

Thou shalt not make photography trip into a competitive thing.
    Eric Rose
    www.ericrose.com

I don't play the piano, I don't have a beard and I listen to AC/DC in the darkroom. I have no hope as a photographer.

And .... if thou comest to New Hampshire or Vermont, Bruce and Richard and I will show you all of our most favorite 'secret' spots .... especially if you come to a Fine Focus Workshop.

Someone might even bake cookies.

Thou shalt not propose anything too expensive or anything taking place at times other than the sabboth if thou wilst keep the company of photographers, for they are both frugal, and industrious in their alter egos.

Also, adapted from an email authored by another -

"If thou wilst not bear the emoluments commensurate to the stable and jackass keeper for cartage of thy arcane boxes and alchemy, bring thy boss instead, for the boss is often the greatest jackass of them all."
    Last edited by Ed K.; 2-Jul-2006 at 21:36.

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

"If thou wilst not bear the emoluments commensurate to the stable and jackass keeper for cartage of thy arcane boxes and alchemy, bring thy boss instead, for the boss is often the greatest jackass of them all."

I think that's especially true among those of us who are self-employed.
    Brian Vuillemenot

-Rob bigcameraworkshops.com Robert Skeoch's Avatar

Here's another commandment to add....

thou shalt not allow others to look at your ground glass if it's bigger than theirs, preventing lusting after a new camera, and saving a friend a fortune in upgrades.

Just looking at this aging thread now and enjoying the insights to something I've not yet experienced. In my couple dozen years as a serious photographer, I've never taken any type of outdoor photography field workshop, so these lists of commandments are insightful beyond being humorous. Bruce maybe you might explain to me what is behind,"Thou shalt refrain from asking to look through another’s groundglass or viewfinder." Of course being with trusted photography friends and a group of new acquaintances are not quite the same.

I often do trips with another large format friend and we regularly will look at each other's groundglass on a few shots. Sometimes we become impressed enough that we will insist on also taking the other's shot too though tend to try and vary the position some. More importantly we just enjoy viewing each other's creative discoveries and sharing such. For most shots simply standing at a camera position is enough to understand what is framed but looking in at the groundglass often brings out the refined positional geometries. When we look at each other's groundglass it is either after exposing film or when first tripoding into a position and crudely framing but before getting down to the more serious framing and focusing. I could certainly understand a commandment like, "Thou shalt refrain from asking to look through another’s groundglass or viewfinder before exposing film." since knocking something out of alignment and adjustment is all too easy. I'm guessing the commandment has to do with some group nuisance and or waste of time if the activity gets out of hand at every location people try and work. ...David

When traveling in multiple vehicles.....Thou shalt make sure that thy lead driver knows where he is headed, has a basic understanding of east vs west and knows his left from right.

Those that attended the Fine Focus Fall Foliage Workshop will understand this inside joke.

John

One more....... With regard to riding shotgun....He with the longest legs rides shotgun.

John
    Last edited by John Bowen; 10-Oct-2006 at 17:19.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bowen View Post
    When traveling in multiple vehicles.....Thou shalt make sure that thy lead driver knows where he is headed, has a basic understanding of east vs west and knows his left from right.

Those that attended the Fine Focus Fall Foliage Workshop will understand this inside joke.

John
    Why John, are you referring to Ted "Wrong Way" Harris? Be kind, I won a buck off him when he insisted that the restaurant was on the right side, and was...inaccurate.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

Hanging my head in shame ...... at least I had the right road! And,laughing at myself cause 1) I was the one hwo had been there many times before and 2) I am always accusing Amy of giving me bad directions lof that sort while I am driving ..... hope she isn't following this thread!