Page 85 of 107 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795 ... LastLast

Thread: Screen Cezanne Users Unite

Re: Screen Cezanne Users Unite

Try to back up your valuable files, erase everything on HD and re-install fresh copy of Colourgenius.

Guilherme Maranhão coisasdavida's Avatar

Tim,

On the older Mac, did you reset pram after removing dead pram battery?

On the newer Mac, on safe mode, delete Adaptec 78xx kext, doing this should improve SCSI situation.

Hi -

Yep, I tried resetting the pram but no luck. I removed Adaptec78xxSCSI.kext. Now when the colorgenius server starts up it gives me the error that it can't find the driver. I'm not sure if this is progress or not!

Tim

I uninstalled and reinstalled colorgeniusEX and now I'm back where I started, server can't find the scanner (but it doesn't throw up the missing driver error anymore). I might order a new SCSI cable and see if that solves the problem. In the meantime I've got a spare hard drive so I might try a fresh install of OS 10.2 and colorgeniusEX as see if I get anywhere there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Shawcross View Post
    I uninstalled and reinstalled colorgeniusEX and now I'm back where I started, server can't find the scanner (but it doesn't throw up the missing driver error anymore). I might order a new SCSI cable and see if that solves the problem. In the meantime I've got a spare hard drive so I might try a fresh install of OS 10.2 and colorgeniusEX as see if I get anywhere there.
    10.3.9 is advised for CG2, not that it should a be any problem to use 10.2.8

can you see the scanner in system profiler? that should point out if this is a CG problem or a OS-SCSI problem.
    could be a SCSI ID thing on the newer Mac?
    did you swing cable and terminator from their sockets to see it changes anything?
    any SCSI drive or anything external attached to the computer?

On both my Cezannes I use a clone drive from my first ever install, so I guess these things are not very problematic.
    On one of them I had a either a 2930 or a 2940, sometimes it wouldn't find the scanner and I got a few KP while scanning until I deleted 78xx kext and never again had any problems.

there is an adapted utility to slow down the SCSI card, sort of make into a 2906, that could be useful to try.

unless someone rolled over a chair on your SCSI cable, it shouldn't break like that.

I have more or less the same issue, and have had no luck fixing it, on a secondary G4 I am trying to get working. I have been tinkering with it off and on for quite a while. I will be interested to see if you figure it out.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by coisasdavida View Post
    10.3.9 is advised for CG2, not that it should a be any problem to use 10.2.8

can you see the scanner in system profiler? that should point out if this is a CG problem or a OS-SCSI problem.
    could be a SCSI ID thing on the newer Mac?
    did you swing cable and terminator from their sockets to see it changes anything?
    any SCSI drive or anything external attached to the computer?

On both my Cezannes I use a clone drive from my first ever install, so I guess these things are not very problematic.
    On one of them I had a either a 2930 or a 2940, sometimes it wouldn't find the scanner and I got a few KP while scanning until I deleted 78xx kext and never again had any problems.

there is an adapted utility to slow down the SCSI card, sort of make into a 2906, that could be useful to try.

unless someone rolled over a chair on your SCSI cable, it shouldn't break like that.
    I've just tried pulling both the SCSI cable and SCSI terminator on the back of the scanner and switching them. No luck. Nothing external attached to the computer accept USB keyboard and mouse. The system profiler shows the the SCSI card, but not the scanner. I have an optical drive and ZIP drive in the machine, but I don't think either of those are SCSI. Is there a way to set the scanner SCSI ID? I couldn't see a switch on the back, unless I'm looking in the wrong place.

I couldn't see a switch on the back, unless I'm looking in the wrong place.
    From memory, it is a round switch between SCSI sockets on the back of the Cezanne. Maybe it is between numbers somehow...

If you don't see the scanner, CG2 install is not to blame.

Did you check the contacts on the cable, a bent one maybe?

I'd unplug the zip drive anyway, not related to the scanner, it won't work anymore anyway, I have yet to find a working unit and that is just draining power.

Okay, feeling a bit stupid! It was a bent contact on the cable. I'd inspected it before, but obviously not carefully enough as I had another look under better lighting and sure enough there was one bent contact. Scanner up and running again.

Which brings me to the next question - I'm thinking about giving wet mount scanning a go. I'm curious to see what it does for dust/scratches as spotting scans is never much fun. It seems like I can try this out with Gamsol and dura-lar sheets as per recommendations of other scanners here without spending a fortune on Aztec supplies. Can I wet mount straight to the the anti newton glass without fear of damaging it, or is that a no-no?

Scanner up and running again.
    Great!
    I had a sheet of 6mm "extraclear" glass cut to fit in place of the regular anti-newton acrylic tray. But my tray was full of tiny scratches.
    If your fellow scanners use this gamsol on acrylic cylinders without problems, it should be safe for the Cezanne acrylic tray.