Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shutter Suggestions

Shutter Suggestions

Recently purchased a APO Artar 19" f11 (non-Red Dot). Would like to find shutter for it. I see some folks are using Packard and ILex shutters and was wondering about some of the pros and cons of those, and if there are any other options out there. Thanks in advance, have a great rest of the weekend all.

Re: Shutter Suggestions

Skgrimes recommends, in order of preference, Copal #3, Ilex #4, Ilex #5. All offer more precisely timed speeds than does a Packard. Experienced users of Packards dispute this point.

Front-mounting on a Copal #1 (I'm not kidding) is an alternative. If you do this, usable f/stops will be f/11, f/16, and then continuously variable from f/16 down. Ex-Polaroid MP-4 Copal Press #1 shutters are far and away the least expensive #1 shutters around 'cos they don't have a diaphragm and are good for nothing but front-mounting. Mount adapters aren't that expensive but its been quite a while since I bought one for my 480/9 Apo-Nikkor. If front-mounting on a #1 bothers you, consider using an Ilex #3 or Alphax #3. Vignetting won't be a problem with any of these shutters, even a Copal #1, if the shutter is mounted very close behind the lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Skgrimes recommends, in order of preference, Copal #3, Ilex #4, Ilex #5. All offer more precisely timed speeds than does a Packard. Experienced users of Packards dispute this point.

Front-mounting on a Copal #1 (I'm not kidding) is an alternative. If you do this, usable f/stops will be f/11, f/16, and then continuously variable from f/16 down. Ex-Polaroid MP-4 Copal Press #1 shutters are far and away the least expensive #1 shutters around 'cos they don't have a diaphragm and are good for nothing but front-mounting. Mount adapters aren't that expensive but its been quite a while since I bought one for my 480/9 Apo-Nikkor. If front-mounting on a #1 bothers you, consider using an Ilex #3 or Alphax #3. Vignetting won't be a problem with any of these shutters, even a Copal #1, if the shutter is mounted very close behind the lens.
    Thanks for the info Dan, will do some research.

Kevin Kolosky

you could always jury rig a sinar shutter to your camera and use that.

it is true that most shutters Polaroid MP-3 and MP-4 were designed for macro lens and had no need for diaphragm mechanism because it was already on the lenses.

But some time later Copal # 1 shutters were manufactured with diaphragm mechanism, I have several of these and have helped me to change other older or even damaged shutters.

I make this clarification because it can be useful to someone.

I bought in USA many Copal # 1 shutters to replace other damaged or defective by the time ... are very cheap and there are many for sale.

I think he understands that I always refer to Copal # 1 shutters Prontor press of POLAROID (of MP-3 or MP-4 series).

also were made some identical shutters of Copal # 1 for POLAROID MP series (but not Prontor Press).

I have several copies of all these models

come to the dark s(l)ide..... Carsten Wolff's Avatar
    Australia at the moment, Spain or UK one day perhaps

Polaroid #1s often have a 17mm diameter restriction disk, which would limit your max aperture to ~f/28 on a 480mm lens. I got a local machinist to make a cheap Delrin adapter and front-mounted my 480mm Apo-Artar (Goerz version) onto an Alphax #4 shutter. Excellent, elegant match, and goes even onto a Linhof board - JUST.
    http://www.jeffbridges.com/perception.html "Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you are right."

I only make reference to a comment which says that these shutters have never diaphragm mechanism ... and commented that that's true, but have also made ​​models with diaphragm mechanism ...

I have said nothing of focal length 480 mm ... that's obviously no good.

My clarification is intended only know of its existence and its value as replacement parts or replace damaged shutter

I to use large lens using SINAR shutters. and mount a lens on a lens board separate enough to not touch the sheets of shutter ... with that I can use APO RONAR 360 and 480, and APO Nikkor 300 - 600 mm.
    Last edited by Francisco J. Fernández; 27-Mar-2014 at 06:23.