Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: An 8x10 Architectural Learning Experience

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Re: An 8x10 Architectural Learning Experience

People getting into the composition is where I seem to always have a problem. You come across a composition that is in every respects perfect and there is no one else around or in the way but just as soon as you set-up, BAM, there they are.

The print shown on my homepage is a perfect example: It was late in the day when I came across this and the light was rapidly fading and the office (far building on the right) was unoccupied with the lights turned off. There was a small mound with a picnic table on top and I put the pack on the table and climbed up. I got the tripod set-up and when I reached down to get the camera (Toyo AX), a group of up to 10 were making their way along the walkway to the office – to check-in, I imagine. I stopped them with a firm voice telling them that I needed a minute to get this picture and they dutifully stopped and watched. I quickly set the camera, composed and focused, took a reading with the light meter, inserted a film holder and took the shot. It came out perfect capturing the lighthouse complex, the late hour, the coastal fog...everything – a perfect exposure. If I wouldn't have said anything to the group, they would have been in and around the office which would have been lit-up and the ambiance would have been ruined.

Thomas

As someone who's been a professional assistant for a decade, I agree that it's always better to have someone else along.

What gets me a little bit is that if it is a commercial shoot, people will go out of their way to help, even when it's not for their company. I first shot at this location for a commercial shoot for a health care provider. The marketing gals hadn't talked to the museum staff ahead of time, a big mistake in my view. The shot was of a medical van taking a hospice patient to the museum. We wanted to pull the medical van up onto the space right in front of the doors, about 20 feet from the driving area. The shoot would require blocking the entrance for about 15 minutes. We went in an talked to the staff. "Sure! No Problem!" But when I'm there non-commercially, and at a time when no visitors are there, they turn off lights 20 minutes earlier than they said they would, and staff walked right in front of the very large camera. They literally had a football field sized area in which to walk.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

That is indeed oftentimes true unfortunately. I think working people want to help other working people get their work done. Most people get that. Sure there are assholes everywhere but mostly...... But if you are doing it for yourself it's like "FU I'm working here and your just playing around-wait till I'm good and ready". Of course there are exceptions in that scenario too of course.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Without doubt. I was once shooting a building full of lawyers and had to stretch a cord across a the floor at the bottom of stairs taped down but not completely as we didn't have enough tape with us. I swear that half the lawyers saw the cord and intentionally tried to trip over it. One guy went back and forth three times and tried it every time. The last time I finally was able to make eye contact with him and he got this smile like I had caught him in the cookie jar.
    I believe it!

Next time you shoot a building full of lawyers leave your camera at home and borrow something from Eddie!

I have noticed, though, that when you're taking a picture of the CEO or the Board of Directors, that those types of problems disappear.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

New Orleans, LA

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bodine View Post
    Here's an option, used by Ezra Stoller:
    Whoa! Now that's a custom solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    I believe it!

Next time you shoot a building full of lawyers leave your camera at home and borrow something from Eddie!
    eddie!
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    I have noticed, though, that when you're taking a picture of the CEO or the Board of Directors, that those types of problems disappear.
    Indeed. When I am shooting for the architect and the owner, I make that known broadly. It solves most problems quickly. I've had that issue recently shooting BMW dealerships in ABQ and Santa Fe for the architect and owner both of whom are personal friends. When in doubt I say "that's the way Mike wants it" and the problem is solved. Mike is the owner and I know his POV very well.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

The last problem I had was a night shot of the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk from a small public park higher up on the opposite bank of the San Lorenzo River, which I've named "Dog Poop Park" because....yeah.
    It makes night photography more interesting and the drive back to Fresno, well, fragrant.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    ... which I've named "Dog Poop Park" because....yeah.
    A bright flashlight and a keen eye are your friends.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.