Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Forum moderation; I am disturbed by the recent events...

Re: Forum moderation; I am disturbed by the recent events...

There is a subtext to this thread: who, if anyone, can moderate the moderators? Who police the police?

No persons, of course. We are not involved in a national policy. Any of us can move out.

Pax,
    Jacques

Quote Originally Posted by Midoski View Post
    I've just been told that Richard is banned for this thread: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...New-Forum-Site

Banning him seems like a pretty nasty way to handle the present conflict as moderators have stated that this forum is not the place for his work. If such lines are going to be drawn in the sand, will you also ban discussion about where we CAN post interesting work?

At the end his work and the life history of subjects it is still posted and available. No censorship was applied to the work.

At the end thread was closed because bitter political discussion arised in it. And, to me, this cannot be tolerated, IMHO if a political issue arises it must be done with PM, to not pollute the forum. If posters fail to do that then moderator has to close the thread, because he has not the time to moderate political discussions or even searching who is guilty or not.

We all have to behave like gents or moderator has to stop the game.

Richard's fault it's not accepting the moderator's decission. A moderator is the referee. If you play any sport you have to accept referee decissions even when those are wrong, if not you are out.

You're threatening to ban me for questioning your decision?

Wow...

I don't think I need a ban. I'm on my way out the door.

If you don't get that someone like me, who typically avoids posting on ALL controversial topics (it's simply better for my blood pressure), has been on the forum since 2001, and typically only posts when I have something constructive to contribute on a topic felt compelled to speak up, then I believe you will never grok the significance of the bellwether precedent you have set.

Good luck with the forum,

---Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    Those who want to engage with photo essays expressing clear agendas on controversial social, cultural or political issues will indeed need to find them in other venues.
    Just to be clear, are you saying that politically-charged images are no longer allowed? (Photo essay to me means both photos and any attached words.)
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Just to be clear, are you saying that politically-charged images are no longer allowed? (Photo essay to me means both photos and any attached words.)
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    No.
    Not to belabor things, I am just looking for clarity. Are you saying no in response to my question, or no, they are not allowed?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mutmansky View Post
    You're threatening to ban me for questioning your decision?
    No, Michael, and everybody else. We have provided ample opportunity for everyone to present and discuss extremely critical views.

But we are under no obligation to allow continued hammering on the same arguments to the point where it interferes with our ability to run the Forum and live our lives. The moderators' decisions are final, as is stated in our guidelines and as is necessary for any Forum is to survive. If you cannot accept that, then yes, you should leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Not to belabor things, I am just looking for clarity. Are you saying no in response to my question, or no, they are not allowed?
    We never had a problem with the photos--they are still posted. The text started us down a road that we stopped.

Rick "that's all" Denney

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    We never had a problem with the photos--they are still posted. The text started us down a road that we stopped.

Rick "that's all" Denney
    Right, I understand that. I was asking because Oren's post seemed to point towards a potential change in policy, tightening the restrictions to photos as well, but perhaps I was misunderstanding.

As a learner I am, I find very nice that when you ask here for technical help you get unique answers from very proficient people that never shows up in the stupid riots.