Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Importing from the US from Badger Graphic

Re: Importing from the US from Badger Graphic

Hi Paul. I live in Bangkok, and let me tell you, shipping costs and taxes from the US can eat you alive. I buy my film from China because shipping from the US doubles its cost, can't imagine what a camera would cost to ship, but guess it would be over $100 with insurance, etc., plus tax at 20% and it adds up fast. Plus, with the pound so weak against the dollar now, you will take a beating.

Luckily, I get back to the US every year or two and usually just make a list and go on a shopping spree. For you, I think you are better off buying from a local dealer (that's what the EU is for, right). Even if its an American product, it should be cheaper locally, as may have been shipped more cheaply, and bought when the exchange rate was more advantageous.

Cheers, Tim

Paul, send an email to Jeff at Badger Graphic. He'll help you figure out import duty etc.
    I deal with him on a regular basis, and for good reason.

info@badgergraphic.com

Drew Wiley

Badger has been excellent.

Well as long as you know what you want I'd say Badger is great.My only complaint was when I was shopping for a Ries tripod for my Calumet black beast (C-1) they recommended I get the heavier A100-II.I really had not done my home work and just took their advice without question.I should have got the A100, the II is overkill.Since then I've ordered quite a few things from them and always get it fast and at a decent price.Jeff is the only one I've dealt with there.

C

I have made several high dollar purchases from Badger Graphics. Everything from my Ebony to several lenses and film and I've never had a problem. Jeff gives the best customer service in the nation when it comes to taking care of his large format customers.

RF

Ross

Excellent service from Badger to Australia. From memory they emphasise that they will not partake in any type of less than honest pro forma invoicing. If USPS+ Australia Post are able to detect and pursue GST (=VAT) liabilities I would imagine that the British mob will, too. As Australia and the USA have a free trade agreement one does escape import duties (even when the Shen Hao is made in China).

My major concern was that the ministry responsible for agriculture might insist on fumigating a wooden camera! I wonder whether anyone has encountered this problem?

Regards - Ross

Vanannan

Hi
    I live on the Isle Of Man, I purchased my JMC8X10 from Robert White

It would appear that there are pros and cons in importing the camera. Badger Graphic do seem to have a very good reputation.

The Canham would still be cheaper to order from Badger than the more local Robert White, even with the duty.

The Canham that was faulty was supplied by Robert White. I did give them the option to replace the Traditional with the JMC810 but they opted for a refund instead.

I hope to talk to Mike Walker this weekend about Titan 10x8.

Here's another shout for Badger—I have bought a camera and 2 lenses, separately, over the past 5 years without any problem. Expect to pay between 20 and 25% tax etc. on top, though.

My experience with USPS is less good than with other carriers. ~2 years ago I bought a lens from a private individual in the US, and it took more than 4 weeks to arrive…

Hi Tony,

Out of interest, what is your opinion of the JMC810? Is it as difficult to fold away as the wooden equivalent? Is the back rigid enough to remain still in a moderate wind? Your knowledge of the camera would be appreciated.