Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What flatbed scanner for 4x5/5x7 negatives?

Re: What flatbed scanner for 4x5/5x7 negatives?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    Bob -- I replaced my 2450 with a 700, and see little difference in prints up to 16x20. Others may be more critical...
    Just to amplify upon Jim's comment, I have a 4990, but I’ve rented a v750 for a side-by-side, non-scientific comparison. [Executive summary: little difference]

I used a sheet of 4x5 Velvia-50 film (nicely exposed w/ minute details in the subject) and snugly dry-mounted w/ a film holder, similar to Doug Fisher's "Betterscanning" design.

I used Epson Scan for the comparison, selecting the "film w/ film holder" option in each case (i.e., not the "film w/ area guide" option). So I was comparing the 4990’s single fixed lens w/ the v750's “SHR” fixed lens.

I found my 4990’s best plane of focus, which is unique from model to model, to be about 2mm above the glass.

At this optimal plane of focus, my 4990's maximum resolution is about 2000 dpi, perhaps a touch less. Most 4990 users report about 1500 or 1600 dpi, so I think I was blessed with a very good machine.

I really have to squint to see improvement above 1500 dpi, but it’s there if I look carefully enough, even if it’s not a practical matter.

When I rented the v750, I likewise determined its best plane of focus; it occurred at a slightly higher elevation than my 4990.

I then compared the two scanners at 2000 dpi.

My personal result: I couldn’t tell the difference between these scans w/ several carefully inspected crops. However, there was a different "look" to the images that would be difficult for me to describe.

When I went to higher dpi, up to 2400, I still couldn’t tell the difference, but I was making comparisons w/ E-6 4x5 film, not a fancy line resolution chart. If I had used a chart, I suspect the v750 may have appeared a tiny bit better; and, it might have appeared better at 1800-2000, too. However, since I rarely print larger than 11x14, the slightly better performance, if I had seen that it existed, would probably be negligible to me.

I do 5 x 7 on the Epson wet mount carrier. The 5 x 7 neg will fit inside the higher resolution central area of the scanner just fine. Wet mounting with Kami fluid is quick and easy - I figure well under a minute to get a negative mounted.

I do dry scanning of 5x7 negatives on a v750 using a negative holder made out of two mat boards hinged together, and place that inside the "film area guide" doohickey to scan. The scans are sharp and it works for me...

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    As others say, anti-newton ring glass.

Neither the glass, nor the holder, has to be exotic, special or expensive: the glass can be from the local store, the holder can be homemade.

For example, I use a piece of anti-glare (not anti-reflection) glass from the hardware store. It's finely etched on one side, which serves my anti-newton needs. I dry mount my film sheets on the etched surface. It eliminates Newton rings. I've never, ever, ever seen one since I started using it.
    This is a key post for anyone who wants to try the ANR glass.

You do not have to buy an expensive piece of glass for this process. I also buy the same glass as described above for scanning on the 750. My expierences also match. I've never scene a newton ring, ever. It's well worth the effort to get this glass and have perfectly flat negatives, espically those 35mm negs with the God awful arch.

Which way is up?

Are most people scanning emulsion side down on scanner glass and placing any flattening, AN or AR glass on top? Which side of glass is up? Is emulsion always down?

Ignoring height adjustments for the moment.

I do something different, but I don't want to confuse the waters.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by HMG View Post
    +1

I don't understand how some many scanners were "obsoleted" post-XP when Hamrick (Vuescan) can handle it.
    I use, or did use Vuescan. It's an application. Without a compatible driver, Vuescan will never see said scanner.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Which way is up?

Are most people scanning emulsion side down on scanner glass and placing any flattening, AN or AR glass on top? Which side of glass is up? Is emulsion always down?

Ignoring height adjustments for the moment.

I do something different, but I don't want to confuse the waters.
    I scan dry, so most of the time its emulsion side up.

Quote Originally Posted by djdister View Post
    I scan dry, so most of the time its emulsion side up.
    All this discussion has omitted details like that.
    Tin Can

I notice no difference depending on which side is up with my 4990. I also found very little difference in terms of focus when raising the film holder by 1 or 2mm above the platen, suggesting the depth of field is pretty big. My observations match those of a maximum optical resolution of about 1800dpi, maybe a tad more. Maybe I'm very sloppy or I have a particularly mediocre specimen of this scanner, but I find it's adequate for my needs and any optimization I have tried only cost time in terms of testing and haven't produced much improvement over the factory configuration.

Quote Originally Posted by Matsushime View Post
    You do not have to buy an expensive piece of glass for this process.
    You don't, though I've been satisfied with the kit I got from Betterscanning. The adjustable platform makes it fairly easy to get good focus, definitely a much better scan than provided by the stock holders.