Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: What is so great about a converted Polaroid camera?

What is so great about a converted Polaroid camera?

A reason for me looking into these cameras, is to do spontanious 4x5 shooting, being able to bring the camera around where I would not bring the monorail, like on family walks. I prefer contact printing, so smaller than 4x5" is starting to get too smallish. Interesting camera I have to say, maybe adding a monopod, and it will still be very portable!

Re: What is so great about a converted Polaroid camera?

I have a razzle which never gets used. It sits between that rock and a hard place when I think about taking it out. If it's spontaneous shooting I want it for, well I'm better off taking a Rolleiflex or dare I say it a digital. If it's something like landscapes you need to stop it down a lot to get decent DoF, then you need a tripod. When on a tripod you wish you could swing this or tilt that, consequently I end up feeling it's a square peg in a World of mostly round holes. It never feels like the best tool for the job to me.
    Family walks I would just forget it, my family would never give me the time to compose well enough or wait for the light to justify a sheet of 5x4. I stopped trying to do photography with the family 20 years ago. I now have a Sony RX100 for those occasions.
    Kevin.

I realized over the holidays that I have had my Alpenhaus conversion for a year now. I was snapping away Fujiroids and thought about this thread. And here it is again!

Anyway, if you are not shooting instant film, and/or you have a panic attack if you can't use movements, and/or you are permanently attached to your tripod and f/32 on ISO 25 film, these cameras aren't for you. I really invite some of y'all that own these and aren't using them to either a) shoot some Fujiroid, it's only like 75 cents a shot, and you have an instant print!! or b) sell your cameras so someone who'll actually use it can get their hands on these wonderful tools!!

Right now I've shot like 200 Fujiroids. I've made precious family heirlooms both for my family and others. People can't believe the quality of image you can deliver immediately, and with a cool old camera to boot. Plus it's fun. I've made it well known that I'm a little crazy, and willing to shoot 4x5 unconventionally (in our time). Why not take risks? Shoot some real film in that Razzle. Make some memories. Can anyone really say they've taken their digital p&s shots and printed them up even? I mean, at $500 for a nice p&s, I could shoot 600 Fujiroids, and with digital you still gotta pay $0.19 for a 4x6 at Walgreens!

I wonder if Frank is still watching this thread
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

For whatever it is worth, I have a couple of 110B conversions. But I also have several MF cameras which I also use including the Mamiya 7ii and Rolleiflexes. Of course, if I had to choose, I'd select the Mamiya over the 110B, but I don't have to. I mainly use the 110B for portraits. I suppose I like the larger neg size, combined with the ability to take my shots quickly (grafmatics) so I can capture those split-seconds where the model has that "just right" candid look that disappears, and can never be artificially recreated. I don't know if the MF cameras are sharper or not and that's just not a consideration for me. But I'm also not a commercial or professional photographer so I can treat all my stuff as just my toys. My Super Speed Graphic sees less use than the 110B because it is clunkier and I hate that little viewfinder, and when you put a grafmatic on it you really can't get your eye close to the tiny viewfinder.

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    I realized over the holidays that I have had my Alpenhaus conversion for a year now. I was snapping away Fujiroids and thought about this thread. And here it is again!

Anyway, if you are not shooting instant film, and/or you have a panic attack if you can't use movements, and/or you are permanently attached to your tripod and f/32 on ISO 25 film, these cameras aren't for you. I really invite some of y'all that own these and aren't using them to either a) shoot some Fujiroid, it's only like 75 cents a shot, and you have an instant print!! or b) sell your cameras so someone who'll actually use it can get their hands on these wonderful tools!!

Right now I've shot like 200 Fujiroids. I've made precious family heirlooms both for my family and others. People can't believe the quality of image you can deliver immediately, and with a cool old camera to boot. Plus it's fun. I've made it well known that I'm a little crazy, and willing to shoot 4x5 unconventionally (in our time). Why not take risks? Shoot some real film in that Razzle. Make some memories. Can anyone really say they've taken their digital p&s shots and printed them up even? I mean, at $500 for a nice p&s, I could shoot 600 Fujiroids, and with digital you still gotta pay $0.19 for a 4x6 at Walgreens!

I wonder if Frank is still watching this thread
    I have one of these, but Polaroid is out. What is available from Fuji that can be used in a 4x5 conversion? What do I need?

Thanks,
    Stefan

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ant_Color.html
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ack_White.html

Here are the two Fujiroid offerings, in 3.25 x 4.25 inch instant print size. You need a 405 holder, or whatever the Fuji equivalent was, I don't know off hand.

I hear the Impossible Project is starting to make somewhat affordable film too so don't count Polaroid out, or the equivalent I guess.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Gittime Kirkum View Post
    I'd love to get one of these, who are the best makers these days? What is the best lens?
    There are several people on this forum who are making them, and if you google around you might find this http://www.polaroidconversions.com/

I had mine made by a local fella who had a bit of experience and tools but is no longer making them -- though I don't think it should be hard for anyone who has some technical ability and tools.

The "basic" conversion is to put a 4x5 Graflok back on the camera but others get fancier and change the lens (which makes it hard to close up the camera) or change the leather etc.

The problem with changing lenses is that it throws off the rangefinder coupling. As it is the Ysarex lens on this camera is plenty sharp but there is a slight falloff when used for 4x5. The viewfinder was also designed for a smaller format so you end up with a bit more empty space around your subject in the negative, if you compose using the viewfinder instead of the gg.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    A Polaroid conversion I use weighs 3 pounds 2 ounces, add 1 pound per Grafmatic and 1/2 pound for lightmeter. 2 pound tripod optional. It's slender and fits into a very small pack. I throw it in the car when we go away on day trips and (since I have practice) I can pull it out, open and shoot pretty quickly. After the shot it goes back in the pack where it's ready, without advertising me as anybody but just another dad out there with his kids. It gets used a lot, I've got enough empty boxes to think I've shot 1,000 sheets. When people comment I just say "thanks" and if they ask what it is I mutter something like "it's an old Polaroid"... if pressed, I'll unhook the Graflok and show them there's nothing inside, kind of like a magic trick.

It can be part of a "one-camera, one-lens" project. Many times, it is the only camera I have on-hand. Lately I avoid using the cellphone camera at the same time. On soccer parade day I missed a shot because I was fiddling with the cellphone. Kids went by while I was setting phone to black and white mode to "preview" flare. Had to run to a new spot to catch the kids again. So I stopped using cellphone camera for previews. I also avoid bringing multiple cameras. One day at Disneyland I carried both 35mm and 4x5 and at the end of the day I'd forgotten to take it out. Sure the 35mm shots from the day are nice. But it sucked that I had zero 4x5 shots. The camera was on my back the whole time. Next time I made a point of only bringing one camera, and I'm happy with the results.

Handheld wasn't my goal. I always plan on using tripods. But I'll shoot it handheld in a pinch. I wanted the 4x5 look because I was dissatisfied with graininess of 35mm fine grain black and white. I wanted a lightweight 4x5 camera that I could bring backpacking. Extra points if total weight could be less than the 35mm Olympus gear that I would normally carry.

Everything I shoot 4x5 is with the conversion. This shot at 1/300th has no motion blur. The dress itself screams sharpness, every black line comes to a razor's point. This may seem like a technical exercise, but it's actually a kind of shot I've wanted to get for a long time. Wedding photos are part of what made me wish I used 4x5 more often...

Bride to-be, Heisler Park, Laguna Beach
    Very nicely written about Polaroid camera. I have one and I still believe it is best to click pics with so light weight and sharp picture quality. but now with rapidly changing world there are lot more good camera options which we need to look at ...

Quote Originally Posted by MathewMorris View Post
    Very nicely written about Polaroid camera. I have one and I still believe it is best to click pics with so light weight and sharp picture quality. but now with rapidly changing world there are lot more good camera options which we need to look at ...
    OK . . .So what options do YOU find attrqctive?

I'm thinking about a Wanderlust Travelwide right now. Itr gives up any RF focusing, but gain light weight and aimplicity. Its like a ultra light Fotoman or Hobo at nearly a Holga/Lomo price.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

I've ordered a travel wide specifically to be the wide angle companion to a Razzle + 135
    I shoot 35mm digi on 21mm (32mm equiv) and 28mm ( 42mm equiv) paired (epsons!) and then scaled that up to 6x9 film with Fuji 65mm (GSW) and 90mm (GW)
    This new combo will do he same with 4x5 but pack about the same!!
    Clive
    www.clive-evans.com
    West Cork-Ireland, Antibes-France