Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: C-41 at home

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Re: C-41 at home

Quote Originally Posted by Ramiro Elena View Post
    I used the 5L Tetenal kit. The only thing that's gotten me a little confused is the STAB bath.
    It is a bit strange with the 5L kit. You need 50mL to make 5 litre BUT 100mL to make 1 litre. The kit comes with only 50mL so you are forced to mix 5 litres which take up a lot of space.

and how do you handle it once you've finished the processing? Can you touch the wet film with your bare hands?

Here are some takes
    If I were you I'd use the Kodak product which is available from Calumet:
    http://www.calumetphoto.com/eng/prod...er_iii/kp02858

I mix it 1 liter at a time (9mL/Liter). According to Kodak its capacity is 20 sheets of 4x5 per liter.

Thomas

Ari, I need to process one more roll of 120 today. I did experienced a light stain in one single frame, only visible in the scan. My main problem so far is the water stains I get with the Stab (very tiny white spots only visible in the scans too).
    I think that part of the kit is different from the 1L. The 5L comes with wetting agent or at least it would seem that way from how foamy it is. I noticed it starts to change color too. I might try toss that mix and use a fresh one.

I really want to try some 4x5 but I only have an expired box of Ektachrome 64T. I'll use it next week on some portraits of a musician friend. No way to tell how results will be... Tungnsten in daylight, cross process... it'll be funky.
    I need to get my hands on some expired 4x5 boxes on eBay or here.

Yeah! Pretty much, he'll turn 12 months in december. He's quite tall
    Ramiro,
    Perhaps adding a few drops of wetting agent to your Stab will solve the white spots.
    It's hard to tell without a photo.
    Or maybe it needs to be tossed, like you said.
    Your 4x5 should be interesting, though; I forget what the adjustment is for cross-processing, maybe 50% more time, but I can't remember.
    Your boy is tall, he looks older than his age. Congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by gth View Post
    Off topic a bit but since there are a few Montrealers here:

1. What Lab do you use in Montreal for developing sheet film (E6, E41, B/W)?
    (And 35 mm for that matter! Scanning?)

2. Where do you purchase development chemicals in Montreal?

Thanks!

/gth
    Gerth,
    I use a lab in Ottawa; the only great lab in Montreal closed a few years ago (Dafo-Eclair). I think Champion still processes film, as does Borealis on Hotel-de-Ville.
    Contact might still do it, but I don't recommend them; maybe others might.
    As for colour chems, I bought from B&H in NY.
    See the first page of this thread, there should be a link to the product; or search B&H's website for the Tetenal kit.
    In Montreal, I can only find B&W chems, LL Lozeau still stocks them, I believe.
    Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    I forget what the adjustment is for cross-processing, maybe 50% more time, but I can't remember.
    Well, good thing you mentioned it. I had no idea adjustment was needed. I'll look it up.

I just wanted to mention that I got to develop 60 sheets with the same chemicals.
    They were properly stored in the accordion-type bottles for almost a month.
    My last 12 sheets were ruined because the film somehow got exposed whilst in the Grafmatics, but the processing was still good, just need a little boost in developing and blix time.

I find that when the stabilizer gets old leaves white spots and crystalline like striations that show up in enlargements and scans. I use c41 one shot now. I enlarge in the darkroom and consistency in the negatives really speeds up the darkroom work.

Sean, do you mean you use all the chemistry once or just the Stab?
    Your description is exactly what I experienced.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanEsopenko View Post
    I find that when the stabilizer gets old leaves white spots and crystalline like striations that show up in enlargements and scans. I use c41 one shot now. I enlarge in the darkroom and consistency in the negatives really speeds up the darkroom work.
    Sean, do you mean you use all the chemistry once or just the Stab?
    Your description is exactly what I experienced.
    Sean, what is this one-shot C-41? Tell us more, and where do you get it?

Nov., 2011

Anyone have a line on a local (to the Greater Toronto Area) C-41 film chemistry supplier for small, table-top rotary drum developing systems? I'd like to work with a local/regional supplier (in Canada) if possible--rather than bring chemistry across the border. Cheers and thanks!

I used new STAB and the stains are gone. I am going to use the 5L STAB mix from now on instead of the 1L. I imagine the later one gets ruined faster.

I processed my first MF rollfilm in Tetenal C-41; results were excellent.
    The only problem was using my old stainless steel tanks and reels, they leaked quite a bit. So I'm going to buy some JOBO reels for my 2553.
    The leaks will stop, and I could even use 220 film, which would be a little more convenient.

So far, all my work from the last month has been processed at home, and I've had great results, except for one time: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=82608
    Most of it is posted to my website and Facebook page.