Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Getting it on the airlines

Re: Getting it on the airlines

For exposed film, I put them in ilford film box, and then put them in my pocket, It wouldn't trig the metal detector.

I have a similar MT outfit. About 12 months ago after a fair bit of research I bought a Photobackpacker Kelty 3100 pack,with the camera case and lens cases.
    For many reasons it has turned out to be an excellent choice, so much so that a couple of weeks ago I got a Kelty 2650 - modified -from PBB for another camera outfit.
    You will find that you will be able to fit in the camera and all that glass in the Kelty 3100- but, it will be far too big and heavy to be allowable as "carry on" luggage.
    I think the weight limit is 7 Kg. - two months ago I flew from Australia to the UK with Malaysia Airlines and their limit was 5 Kg, and I noticed in Heathrow on the way home that there was a limitation ( Heathrow security I persume) of 1 item per person as as "carry on' luggage.
    So, you Photobackpacker Kelty 3100 with the items you have will weigh around 15Kg - well over the limit, it will be heavy to carry, but the suspension in the Kelty if absolutely first class, and with Photobackpaer cases it will be considerable lighter and more confortable to carry than if you were using - say - a Lowepro Super Trekker.
    A few weeks ago I got a Kelty 2650 from Photobackpacker, intending to use it with a 612 camera, however I got it on a domestic flight last week with my MT, three lenses and the usual odds and ends inside, the 2650 is within size limitations - however it would have been well over the weight limit if I had been challenged. I had a problem with Qantas a couple of years ago, my hand luggage was over limit - due to too much photo gear - I opened the bag, slung a camera over my shoulder, put two lenses into my coat pockets - and asked them to try again. OK this time. Shows what BS it all is.

Getting a bit OT, but I dont find it to be very practical to carry around !6+ Kg of photo gear and other odds and ends like drinking water Gortex etc. I always carry the camera, viewfinder etc, and 3 lenses (75mm,120mm and 210mm) - and the other lenses are all in PB cases and only go into my Kelty if I think I will need them that day, similarly with my roll film holder.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by John Quinn View Post
    I had a problem with Qantas a couple of years ago, my hand luggage was over limit - due to too much photo gear - I opened the bag, slung a camera over my shoulder, put two lenses into my coat pockets - and asked them to try again. OK this time. Shows what BS it all is.
    The primary reason I have quit flying on Qantas (at least for the time being). Qantas and a few other airlines have got so nitpicking on everything. My last trip to Australia, I flew on Air Pacific, but would prefer Hawaiian, which has more reasonable luggage restrictions. However, on this trip, I locked the 4x5 into checked luggage and took my chances (no problems). I carried on 35mm around my neck, film in pants pockets, etc. I think I will have to start leaving the laptop at home though.

Personally, I would have no problem with any of the airlines restrictions if they at least allowed you to puchase "excess" carry on (like they do with checked baggage) - then it would just be a matter of it being a business expense.

Quote Originally Posted by roteague View Post
    Personally, I would have no problem with any of the airlines restrictions if they at least allowed you to puchase "excess" carry on (like they do with checked baggage) - then it would just be a matter of it being a business expense.
    Robert,

It's funny you mentioned this. I once suggested this to an airline ticket agent - her response "We can't do that because then everyone will do it"

Regards, Art.

Quote Originally Posted by gr82bart View Post
    Robert,

It's funny you mentioned this. I once suggested this to an airline ticket agent - her response "We can't do that because then everyone will do it"

Regards, Art.
    The airlines refuse to take any financial responsibility for checked luggage, refuse to provide any method of making sure checked luggage is secure, or refuse to guarantee that checked luggage will arrive on time. A professional traveling on business can't afford that. So, I'm not surprised. Most people don't trust the airlines with their checked luggage, and would try to carry as much as possible on the airplane with them.

Hi guys,

I know this is an old thread. I was searching for some answers although there are some here i still have a few questions.. Anyone tried F64 BPX for travelling? Is it airlines friendly? I checked the airlines that we often use and their max dimension for carry-on is like 22 x 15 x 8 inches. The F64 BPX is approximately 23" x 14" x 6". I'm just anxious if i should get a backpack or just use the case that i got with the camera. Another thing is the weight. Anyone knows the weight of F64 BPX? I will be carrying 8x10 KMV with lens and accesories. So, it would exceed my 7KGS max but last time, the airlines was very generous with my carry-on baggage. I travel from Manila to Iran with 2 carry-on's. 1 Northface backpack and a Domke. Almost 12kg and didn't had any problem. The guy just asked me if it was a camera equipment. That's it. I didn't get any problem even with my connecting flight from Dubai to Tehran. Hopefully F64 won't be a problem if i ended up getting it for my 8x10 setup. Thanks guys!

Alot of great recommendations about backpacks here . . .all good stuff.

Alternative: The pack itself can't go as carry-on it seems (unless I misses a suggestion ). I suggest that you check the pack empty of gear. Maybe pack clothing in it, Maybe the empty pack goes into another duffle along with your clothes. Photo gear that is not expensive, sensitive or desirable to a thief may also go into checked baggage.

Pack all the things you MUST have in your possession at all times into their PhotoBackpackerboxes and pack THEM into an airline approved carry-on for the overhead bin and/or under the seat. The boxes are all squarish and can even be made to stick together. If there is enough lead-time, the folks at PhotoBackpacker can make a mounting board for the boxes that will fit your carry-on bags.

Side benafits of this approach are that the standard looking carry-on bags don’t scream STEAL ME and they have wheels. When airline regulations and security are no longer constraining, you can swap the gear into the backpack and the clothing into the suitcases.

There’s gotta be some variation of this scheme that will work for you.

Cheers
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

For what it is worth, the Photobackpacker P3 backpack will arrive at the beginning of August. While it is the same size as the P1 and P2, the Granite Gear Air Current suspension is shorter than the Kelty suspension. This allows a pack that will actually fit into the 22 x 14 x 9 carry-on checkers. This was on of my redesign objectives. I sent out 6 of these packs to a select group of Beta testers and based on their input, this pack will be very popular.

Remember, when flying internationally, the weight restriction is often more of a challenge than the size. Most US domestic flights allow 40 pounds. International carriers allow a small fraction of that. Moral of the story, check with the airline you intend to fly.

Bruce
    Bruce

Few words...ThinkTank Airport International V2.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    Pack all the things you MUST have in your possession at all times into their PhotoBackpackerboxes and pack THEM into an airline approved carry-on for the overhead bin and/or under the seat. The boxes are all squarish and can even be made to stick together. If there is enough lead-time, the folks at PhotoBackpacker can make a mounting board for the boxes that will fit your carry-on bags.

Side benafits of this approach are that the standard looking carry-on bags don’t scream STEAL ME and they have wheels. When airline regulations and security are no longer constraining, you can swap the gear into the backpack and the clothing into the suitcases.
    Cheers
    Exactly what I am doing. When I carried my gear in backpacks years ago - backpacks that actually did fit the size bins - most of the time I got hassled at the check in counter. Air France was especially bad. Since I started putting all the contents in a nice Rimowa Salsa carry-on roller case (polycarbonate, semi-hardside and light weight), no more discussions, I just roll up to the counter with it. The empty backpack goes into the checked bag together with the tripod. This approach also increases your chance of not getting your carry-on weighed - as Bruce mentioned, outside the US the official weight limits for carry-on are much lower, typically 13-17lbs. The backpack, whether on the back or carried in the hand, usually gives away if its pretty loaded.