Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Stop by and copy my images?

Re: Stop by and copy my images?

Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    Do you have a guest register for people to leave information on for future shows either by email or direct mail?
    Yes, a business card jar sort of thing with blank card available in case you don't have one...

--Darin

Here is the policy of the Art Institute of Chicago. They are even worried about sketches.

But they do allow handheld digital of nearly any quality. I bet they stop people with MF digital. But a D800 may be just fine...

They do stipulate "personal use" only. I bet they got lawyers...

I'm taking my P7000 next week which excels in macro handheld and since it is tiny sensor, DOF is always huge. I shoot that damn thing 100 times a day.

'Photography
    You are welcome to take photographs of the permanent collection and special exhibitions for personal use unless otherwise noted. Dry sketching is also permitted. Please respect signage that may prohibit photography of specific works of art or exhibitions, and please do not use flashes, tripods, and video cameras.

Members of the media should contact our Department of Public Affairs at (312) 443-3626 or aicpublicaffairs@artic.edu to arrange shoots for still photography and film.

Sketching
    For pencil sketching in the museum, please consult with the security officer in the appropriate gallery. Paper and pads must be no larger than 13 x 17 inches. Easels, stools, or anything that interferes with movement in the gallery are not permitted.'

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    'Photography
    You are welcome to take photographs of the permanent collection and special exhibitions for personal use unless otherwise noted. Dry sketching is also permitted. Please respect signage that may prohibit photography of specific works of art or exhibitions, and please do not use flashes, tripods, and video cameras.

Members of the media should contact our Department of Public Affairs at (312) 443-3626 or aicpublicaffairs@artic.edu to arrange shoots for still photography and film.

Sketching
    For pencil sketching in the museum, please consult with the security officer in the appropriate gallery. Paper and pads must be no larger than 13 x 17 inches. Easels, stools, or anything that interferes with movement in the gallery are not permitted.'
    Seems very accommodating.

I used to go to a Museum and see lots of people easel painting--must have been in Boston. It was cool to watch.

--Darin

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Here is the policy of the Art Institute of Chicago.

Photography
    You are welcome to take photographs of the permanent collection and special exhibitions for personal use unless otherwise noted.
    Good for AIC. I see no harm in this policy. I recently noticed that a few of my photographs from the AIC collection are displayed on their website. Photographs are to be viewed (even on a monitor) rather than hidden in museum drawers.

Quote Originally Posted by Merg Ross View Post
    I recently noticed that a few of my photographs from the AIC collection are displayed on their website.
    I googled and found the ones in the online catalog. I also noticed that three of them were marked "From the collection of Aaron Siskind."

That's pretty cool....

--Darin

Every time I go to a gallery these days there is always at least one person copying ( not photographing as that would include more than just the image in question) individual photographs as though they have every right to - it offends me- but I guess in this " everything is free" world it's Ok?
    Or is it?
    Clive
    www.clive-evans.com
    West Cork-Ireland, Antibes-France

Of course I was told not to photograph ( as opposed to copy) in a Cartier Bresson show in Paris some years back- I was photographing people not prints......
    I wonder what they would have said to him, or indeed to Elliot Erwitt who did a whole book like that!
    Clive
    www.clive-evans.com
    West Cork-Ireland, Antibes-France

Call me what you will, but if someone wants to copy my work, make a painting, sculpture based off of it, take a photo of it upload it to Facebook then go right ahead. I'm not going to get a stick up my _____ over it.

If people want to display their art, photographs, sculptures, etc... in public or in a private place where there will be other people around they should know that there is a possibility of other people copying their work. If they are so concerned about it, the work should kept it at home and their feelings won't be hurt. Seriously you should be flattered that someone likes your stuff enough to copy it. The whole loosing a sale over an iPhone photo/sketching/whatever is a BS line from a greedy, self important "artist". They never "lost a sale" if there was no sale to begin with, doesn't matter who they are of what medium they work in.

Again my opinion.
    Signature deleted as to not offend certain people

Born L.A.-NYC is 2nd Home-Rustbelt is Home Base

Quote Originally Posted by anglophone1 View Post
    Every time I go to a gallery these days there is always at least one person copying ( not photographing as that would include more than just the image in question) individual photographs as though they have every right to - it offends me- but I guess in this " everything is free" world it's Ok?
    Or is it?
    It is up to the gallery, no right or wrong.

I was at a museum. They said NO photogrphy. Another museum said OK take pix. If it is your place make the rules. I don't think the person that takes the cell phone photo would buy the item if they could not take a photo. I collect lots of photos off the web. I print them up sometimes and put them in a post bound portfolio. I like looking at them once in a while. But i would not buy any of them for the most part. if some were $15 or so i may buy a couple of prints. But that is it. No lost sales for the people. they would not have sold me anything. But I can still enjoy their work.

"Looking at photographs, like taking them, can be joyful, sensuous pleasure. Looking at photographs of quality can only increase that pleasure." Pete Turner

"A photograph that has not been shared or at least printed is almost an unexistent photograph, is almost an untaken picture." Sergio Garibay

"The photographer begins to feel big and bloated and so big he can't walk through one of these doors because he gets a good byline; he gets notices all over the world and so forth; but they're really --the important people are the people he photographs. They are what make him." Gordon Parks

AnzaRunner

I've always thought it was petty for photographers/artists to have "no photography" signs up everywhere. I see this a lot at art shows. When I show my work, I do not have such a policy. I've had people ask if they could take a photo of my prints, and I tell them to go ahead. Some people have also asked if they could take a photo of me next to one of my prints. I see it as a sign of flattery. I'm not insecure about people taking photos of the prints because I know first hand that it would be difficult to take a good photo of them (reflections off the glass, not ideal lighting, etc), but also because a copy will never be as good as the original. I know how much effort it takes to achieve a good print, and taking a casual snapshot of a framed piece isn't going to get you anywhere.

If someone took a snapshot of my prints with a cellphone, I figure it's probably because they like the work, and want to share it with someone. Word of mouth is the best advertising. Who knows, maybe that person was snapping a photo of the image because they wanted to show it to a friend or family member who might in turn purchase a print. If you step in and say "no photography" you're now going to sound like an insecure prick, and again... that will spread via word of mouth.

People who buy your work will often times do so because not only do they like the print, but they also want to support you as an artist. It's tough to like someone who confronts an innocent gallery guest and threatens action if they take photos of their work. You'll certainly get those on the forum who say it's a copyright violation, etc --- that's just crazy talk. Seriously, it's a camera phone, and the person is shooting the image because they like your work. Take it as it was intended, a compliment. Be nice to the person, and who knows, good things will likely come from it down the line.