Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Video about Nobuyuki Kobayashi

Re: Video about Nobuyuki Kobayashi

Yes I understand the criticism. I don't like art that is process driven either unless it is to my taste. HDR is process driven for example and to me it is like glass in my eye balls. What about St. Ansel? I have heard plenty of photographers critique St. Ansel's work as purely technical, more craft than art. I disagree with that but what Ansel did is a process just happens to be a process I enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayt View Post
    art that is process driven
    I don't understand what you mean.

Just for fun - compare and contrast with the work of Takashi Shikama.

Correction: Takeshi Shikama

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Suttner View Post
    Correction: Takeshi Shikama
    FYI, if you go to your first post, you should be able to edit it for that correction. Also, if you go to your first post and use the edit function, you can delete it, since you've corrected the first one.

Quote Originally Posted by h2oman View Post
    I don't understand what you mean.
    Art that is bound by a chosen process - a Purely analog approach for example. If an "artist" has a concept he or she wants to convey it is their responsibility as an "artist" to communicate that idea in the most effective way possible. This could mean a painting would be the correct medium for a certain concept- even though the artist is more of a photographer.

If the the "Artist" chooses photography over painting even though the concept would be more effectively communicated in a different medium, then one could say that the art is "process driven" and is therefore has a ceiling limited by that medium. That's an extreme example, but valid.

Process driven could also refer to the art of many of us here - myself included. I, and I assume many others, love photography. Specifically, large format photography. Because of that passion for the medium and the technical experience it involves, we may produce a technically correct and impressive image, but in terms of "art", whatever that means, the images may be lacking.

I received an email from Mr. Kobayashi. Tonight I'll read through it...

I looked at Takeshi's images on the web, and they seem to suffer from veiling soft grey. Are the images in his book "Silent Respiration of Trees" better? I realize Gampi is hard to digitize while retaining its unique characteristics; and wonder if book reproduction is any better.
    van Huyck Photography
    "Searching for the moral justification for selfishness" JK Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Zndrson View Post
    Art that is bound by a chosen process - a Purely analog approach for example. If an "artist" has a concept he or she wants to convey it is their responsibility as an "artist" to communicate that idea in the most effective way possible. This could mean a painting would be the correct medium for a certain concept- even though the artist is more of a photographer.

If the the "Artist" chooses photography over painting even though the concept would be more effectively communicated in a different medium, then one could say that the art is "process driven" and is therefore has a ceiling limited by that medium. That's an extreme example, but valid.

Process driven could also refer to the art of many of us here - myself included. I, and I assume many others, love photography. Specifically, large format photography. Because of that passion for the medium and the technical experience it involves, we may produce a technically correct and impressive image, but in terms of "art", whatever that means, the images may be lacking.
    I still don't get it. Say I'm a sculptor who works in stone. I have a certain process I follow to make sculptures (which I suspect would be pretty much the same process that is followed by other stone sculptors). Is my art then process driven? It seems like any painter, sculptor, photographer, etc. would have some sort of process that they use to create their art (or non-art).

Moreover, it seems most folks choose a process, and then their art follows the process. They choose to pick up a saxophone, or a set of paintbrushes, or duck under a darkcloth. Some might change their medium/process after a point if they feel they are having trouble expressing themselves, but I doubt many change every time they want to express something.

I'm just thinking almost all art, and all photography (art or not), is "process driven."

I'd be curious to hear what the original poster of the phrase can tell us. I don't mean this in an argumentative manner. I understand the incongruence seen in the video, and understand why it is bothersome to some.

Maybe fidelity isn't the point. Different aesthetic. if you were to represent an animistic spiritual connection with nature and communicate it on paper what better way than with platinum palladium. I have heard that a good platinum print emanates it's own light. True on hard smooth papers. On translucent paper the light comes from all directions, behind, inside, and from the front. If a connection with the "gods" has been made and carried out through all the processes, capture to print, then maybe the medium is the message? Just guessing.