Page 73 of 114 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets See Your Darkroom

Re: Lets See Your Darkroom

[QUOTE=haichuan;1334758]From shanghai of china...leica35mm & 4'x5'
    Attachment 151723

Nice Valloy II!

Quote Originally Posted by Ironage View Post
    Here is the beginning of my darkroom in my basement crawl space. Just installed the sink today. Did it myself and it took about three days and cost about $500 including the stainless sink. Up next I will need to install safelights and a Beseler 6x7 color enlarger and an old Elwood 5x7.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    That's a beauty! I used a 5x7 Elwood for many years, they look kinda shaky but they work great. That basement looks like my first 3 darkrooms! Don't leave your lenses in the damp. Keep going!!
    Best Mike

Finally my new darkroom is nearing completion - and not a moment too soon as I just got accepted into a national competition and need to make some silver prints. All of the benches were completed, sink will be plumbed and electrical done in the next week or two hopefully. Super happy with the shelving for trays. On the right not in the frame is another bench that I'll have to take a picture when finished that has a light table that will be convertible to a UV print area.

Using a deep but fairly normal kitchen sink for this, as I've used for years. I might at some point get a different sink, a more typical darkroom one, if I can find one cheaply. The standalone unit pictured above would actually be just right! Washing prints will be done outside just like I've done for years too, but hopefully soon I'll find a nice print washer close by.

Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Lets See Your Darkroom

Nice. Lots of space to work with. How do you plan on finishing the walls and ceilings?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    ...Dilettante! Who you calling a Dilettante?

I am renting so all of this is modular so I can take it with me if I move. So probably not finishing the wall at all unless I can get the owners to sell at some point, and even then I'm not all that worried about it. Maybe some plywood sheets over the exposed insulation at some point if I have some spare time and materials. Framing out in front of the concrete walls and putting up sheetrock would constrict the room a foot or two and I don't want to lose that space, I like big open areas to work. If I get more enlargers though I may have another bench put in the center like a kitchen island just for enlargers, and then I'd have plenty of space for a huge sink.

That's a wonderful setup Bryan. Enjoy it!

Pali

Brayn, You might also consider some thick 4 or 6 mil plastic to cover the insulation. I had a low ceiling where I was and was glad to not be accidentally brushing against it in the last place I had a darkroom. And If you get the right kind of plastic it can be used as a white board for keeping notes!
    ~nicholas
    lifeofstawa
    stawastawa at gmail

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Finally my new darkroom is nearing completion - and not a moment too soon as I just got accepted into a national competition and need to make some silver prints. All of the benches were completed, sink will be plumbed and electrical done in the next week or two hopefully. Super happy with the shelving for trays. On the right not in the frame is another bench that I'll have to take a picture when finished that has a light table that will be convertible to a UV print area.

Using a deep but fairly normal kitchen sink for this, as I've used for years. I might at some point get a different sink, a more typical darkroom one, if I can find one cheaply. The standalone unit pictured above would actually be just right! Washing prints will be done outside just like I've done for years too, but hopefully soon I'll find a nice print washer close by.

I have a similar room that I now inhabit. One thing make sure to get a dehumidifier. Looks Great! I made my enlarger table so when we moved to our current place I could bring along. Good thinking. I just keep changing and improving so your modular concept will serve you well!
    Best Mike

Thanks Mike! Yes when summer rolls around I think I'm going to get a dehumidifier. I bought some humidity monitors last year after I moved in and it was a bit high, but when around fall it went way down and now the biggest issue down here is the cold. Insulation works okay (better than my un-insulated shed from the last house I was in where I'd shiver at 40-50 degrees while making prints!) but it's still a bit cold at times. I have some little ceramic heaters that work okay but will probably buy an oil heater next year for basement too.

Plumbing is being done today!

And after measuring I noticed the exposed wall is just right for a single sheet of 4x8 plywood so yeah I might go ahead and cover the wall and then build a few stubby shelves for my Gralab timers and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Thanks Mike! Yes when summer rolls around I think I'm going to get a dehumidifier. I bought some humidity monitors last year after I moved in and it was a bit high, but when around fall it went way down and now the biggest issue down here is the cold. Insulation works okay (better than my un-insulated shed from the last house I was in where I'd shiver at 40-50 degrees while making prints!) but it's still a bit cold at times. I have some little ceramic heaters that work okay but will probably buy an oil heater next year for basement too.

Plumbing is being done today!

And after measuring I noticed the exposed wall is just right for a single sheet of 4x8 plywood so yeah I might go ahead and cover the wall and then build a few stubby shelves for my Gralab timers and such.
    Just so you know those darn Gralabs seem to reproduce in the dark. At last count I'm up to eight. What can I say if the price is right. I have an electric oil filled "radiator " that I picked up at a second hand store.
    Best Regards Mike