Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Excessively sharp lenses

Re: Excessively sharp lenses

You must have been typing as I edited. I was rude with the end of that. My apologies for that.

Vaseline definitely isn't a substitute for any kind of diffusion. It's far too heavy and it's just not possible to apply without streaking. It's a special effect. Kind of unfortunate we're talking about it so much.

One really old DP I worked for a couple times had a trick for closeups of women. He would look through the viewfinder and have one of us assistants put a fingerprint on the lens or on the filter right where the face would be in frame. You could cover a filter with fingerprints. Just watch the light that falls on that filter. It'll be really ugly flare.

Quote Originally Posted by C. D. Keth View Post
    You must have been typing as I edited. I was rude with the end of that. My apologies for that.

Vaseline definitely isn't a substitute for any kind of diffusion. It's far too heavy and it's just not possible to apply without streaking. It's a special effect. Kind of unfortunate we're talking about it so much.
    Haha no worries

Perhaps I'll see you on set sometime, I REALLY want to join the 600 for stills, I have my Jacobson Blimp already, but it's such a closed market, so I've been looking at camera PA but the pay is such a cut for me to get in its hard to take that time.

Let me know when you're doing a movie in the City

Haas anyone brought up nylon panty hose? Thats a pretty good diffuser.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I'm not sure why you don't want to "tone it down" in the darkroom but FWIW I had a Leica lens years ago that I thought was too sharp for some portraits and other people-pictures. I dealt with the problem by dividing the enlarging exposure time between time with a soft focus filter (Nikon) under the lens for part of the time and no filter the rest of time. I liked this system because it gave so much control - too soft? decrease time with the filter - too sharp? increase time with the filter.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Brian, it seems I do the digital extension of that when I have to diffuse something a little bit in photoshop. I place a copy of the original image over all the other layers. I then blur it and lower its opacity depending on how much of the softness I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    I'm not sure why you don't want to "tone it down" in the darkroom but FWIW I had a Leica lens years ago that I thought was too sharp for some portraits and other people-pictures. I dealt with the problem by dividing the enlarging exposure time between time with a soft focus filter (Nikon) under the lens for part of the time and no filter the rest of time. I liked this system because it gave so much control - too soft? decrease time with the filter - too sharp? increase time with the filter.
    That's an old trick which can give beautiful results.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

I just kick my tripod leg.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    I just kick my tripod leg.
    That never gives me the highlight glow that I like.

Thanks to everyone for replies! I am going to Perú and really wish I could take the4x5 ! Maybe some of the Fomapan films-more grain?

For a trip like that, I'd shoot them sharp and soften if you wish in printing. I'd hate to get back and wish your negstives were sharper.