Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rsuggestions for a smallish 150 lens

Hopelessly Lost

Rsuggestions for a smallish 150 lens

I shoot a wista 45sp and one of the best attributes of it is that I can keep a 150 on the camera and fold it up and have it ready without having to dig through a bag to find my lens. It's quite essential for my type of photography being spontaneous and quick on the move. That being said, my 150 is a Schneider symmar S in copal 0 and honestly, I'm not in love with it. Was wondering if anyone had some suggestions as to another 150mm 5.6 that is on the smaller side but hopefully a bit sharper than the one I have now. Ok, lemme know...
    www.hollisbennett.com

Huh? Oh, right, keep moving.

Re: Rsuggestions for a smallish 150 lens

Quote Originally Posted by Hollis View Post
    I shoot a wista 45sp and one of the best attributes of it is that I can keep a 150 on the camera and fold it up and have it ready without having to dig through a bag to find my lens. It's quite essential for my type of photography being spontaneous and quick on the move. That being said, my 150 is a Schneider symmar S in copal 0 and honestly, I'm not in love with it. Was wondering if anyone had some suggestions as to another 150mm 5.6 that is on the smaller side but hopefully a bit sharper than the one I have now. Ok, lemme know...
    How on earth can you quibble with the sharpness of a Symmar-S? You could have a bad example, but it's much more likely the cause of unsharpness is not the lens but something else. You won't find a significantly sharper 150.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Rsuggestions for a smallish 150 lens

You should see if your lens is perhaps missing a shim. There's not going to be anything significantly sharper. Any modern 150 from a big maker will be essentially as sharp as another. Of you want REALLY small, you could get a G-claron but for your normal lens I don't think the reduced focusing and composing brightness is worth it.
    -Chris

Dave Karp

I have a 150 mm Fujinon W that takes 52mm filters. It is a very nice lens. Another option would be a 150mm Caltar II-N, which is made by Rodenstock.

I have a 150mm Sironar N which is superb, but it's no better than my Symmar S lenses, so I agree with above.

Ian

I have a nice Apo Symmar which is a nice step up from the Symmar S, that I could offer. It's in a DB board but would drop right into your existing Copal 0 shutter. (it came out of a copal 0 shutter originally.) Details: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...r-DB-mount-275

If you replace the lens without determining the source of the unsharpness, you'll be out the money and still have fuzzy negatives.

My alltime favorite tiny 150mm/6" is a Goerz Dagor.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Drew Wiley

For critical use like big enlargements or use with roll film backs, most more modern lenses are in fact noticably sharper than Symmar S or the old dagors. G-Claron has a nice combination of tiny size and excellent optics, but is not a bright, so might be a little slower to focus. Fuji W's are well priced on the used market and fairly amazing in the recent multicoated versions. You've also got the upgraded
    Schneiders and Apo-Sironar S lenses (already mentioned). The dagors are prized for a somewhat different reason, a kinda nuanced look due to only four air/glass interfaces. I think every single lens
    I now own is sharper than the Symmar S I started with way back when - but that doesn't mean it was
    a slouch by any means! I sold it only because it had served me faithfully thru all kinds of harsh terrain
    and simply got worn out.

If you can run to a sironar-s (or sinaron-se) they are a fair bit more compact than the symmar-s. 49mm filters instead of 58mm for a start.

There's certainly a difference between the latest lens designs and those from a generation or two ago. Of course for many shooters who do contact prints or small 2-4x enlargements, the difference won't be extreme.

But yeah, for the large color prints I do I have noticed quite a difference between lenses like the Symmar S and Sironar-N and the latest Apo-Symmar and Apo-Sironar-S.

I'd strongly recommend you check out a 150 Apo-Sironar-S. Mine folded into the Wista VX I used to shoot with, and it's really sharp even in 40x50in. and larger prints.