Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: how to get a LF photography assistant job?

how to get a LF photography assistant job?

I am looking for photo apprentice opportunity. Does anybody have idea about how to get started?
    Does this common in photography area?

Re: how to get a LF photography assistant job?

Probably back in the days when LF was used widely in commercial photography the big metropolitan areas would have opportunities, but those days are long gone. If there is a working architecture or portrait photographer in your area you might approach them. Or find an assistant's opening at a unversity with a noteworthy photography program. Outside of that, I haven't a clue.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I work as an assistant here in LA. NO ONE that I know of is still shooting 4x5, much less 8x10 for commercial work anymore. Not to say there aren't those that occasionally do:

http://austinhargrave.com/blog/tag/d...to-8x10-camera

Unfortunate, for sure. I joined the assisting game a few years ago, and to be honest, it has its ups, but it can definitely have its downs. Assisting can be a great way to learn the technical, as long as you're working with people who are willing to teach. I'm not a 20yr veteran like some of the guys and gals(few, but there are some female assistants here I know of) that have made it a career. Some of them shoot LF for their own personal work, but for paid jobs, its pretty much all digital now. The technical requirements, smaller budgets(generally) and 'behind schedule' rushing of a lot of jobs that I work on simply couldn't 'work' with film's schedule.

BUT THERE ARE HOLD-OUTS. Don't get discouraged, there ARE people who shoot film still for paid work. But when time is on the line, and you have a P.I.T.A. art director breathing down your neck all day, digital can be both a God-send, but also a curse IMO. There are, in general, MORE 'options' to shoot than if shooting film(not always), but it really depends on the shooter, the client, and their relationship with each other.

But if searching for a 'LF' photographer in particular, you might be searching for a while, especially if you're not in a large(ish) market like NY, LA, London or Paris. Hong Kong is getting bigger too.

Just my $.02

Personally, I wish I could step-back 20yrs and work on some car shoots where 4x5 and 8x10 was 'the norm' for technical... I've seen some 8x10 finished transparencies(final product) of a photographer I used to assist, to me, well done 8x10 and 4x5 chromes are art in themselves, even if they have commercial intent in mind as the final use.

-Dan

I wish you all the best in looking for an assistant position.

I suggest that you do some market research on-line and see how many LF photographers you can find in your area. I live in Houston Texas, a major city by any standard; even though its not even the largest city in the USA. I feel safe in saying that Houston has NO commercial photographers working in any film format let alone LF. The only film photographers that I know of do hobby or art photography.

I could be wrong in speaking in such absolutes—and welcome friendly correction.

Like many here on this forum, I got started in LF by reading some, then bought some used equipment and made a lot of technically bad negatives for a few years.

There are a few good how-to books out there. I'd start with Adam's books. Anybody have their own reading list to recommend?

Cheers
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

It depends what market you work in. Where are you planning on working?

I hire assistants all the time, but not as LF assistants. LF film just isn't a part of the commercial photo world anymore. That being said, assisting is the BEST way to learn photography and if you find an old enough photographer working commercially, they can teach all the ins and outs of LF from their past experience.

Large Format Rocks ImSoNegative's Avatar

my youngest son is my assistant... he has to carry all my sh&t
    "WOW! Now thats a big camera. By the way, how many megapixels is that thing?"

unfortunately you need a time machine........
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Not exactly what you're looking for, but I suggest that you should search out any retired commercial and/or newspaper photographers in your town who used large format cameras. The one's I've met love to talk "shop" and are generous with their experience, which self taught guys like myself can put to good use. Talk to them while they're still around!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I know several several commercial photographers who still work with LF and film and no digital. But they are based in Europe, but I know they will not hire assistants during this severe economic crisis. Maybe in the US you need a time machine because it's a totally different world.

Quote Originally Posted by ImSoNegative View Post
    my youngest son is my assistant... he has to carry all my sh&t