Thread: Any recent experience at EUROPEAN airports?

Any recent experience at EUROPEAN airports?

Most of the threads here on airport security for photographers concentrate on the USA.

Anyone have recent experiences in Athens, Rome, or Frankfurt? I have been lucky to not have serious issues in the US major metros and am wondering if these cities/countries are More or Less of a hassle for LF photographers?

I went through Athens airport a couple of weeks ago. No problems. I followed my normal practice of putting LF camera and tripod in cases and film in hand luggage. This included loaded grafmatics and boxes of sheet film. I can't compare to US experience as I am Europe based. I have also passed through Zurich, Venice, London (Heathrow and Stansted) recently without problems.

I passed through Detroit, Amsterdam and Salzburg a month ago and found the European airports to be more relaxed than the American ones. I am sure that my Rollei MF equipment, including large lenses, must have looked rather strange on the checkpoint monitors. Yet, I didn;t have to open the backpack once.

Have fun in Europe!

I just got back from a trip yesterday. As Dietrich said, the European airports seem a bit more relaxed. I had good experiences in Paris and Milan when leaving my Bronica MF gear and film in my carry-on luggage. My shoes...that's another story.