Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nicest gloss surfaces?

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Nicest gloss surfaces?

I've been experimenting with inkjet papers, looking for my personal holy grail, you know, like, what everyone's always doing.

Coming from a darkroom background I'm finding it pretty amazing how close you can come to matching the image quality between one paper and another ... it's allowing me to focus on things like paper color and surface. Which is bringing me back to a quest that I abandoned years ago in the darkroom.

Does anyone remember the old Agfa Portriga Rapid surface, from before it was "improved" in the late 80s? Right when I started photography, I was surrounded by old timers who'd literally been thrown into depression by the discontinuation of this stuff. A group of landscape photographers that included Edward Ranney pooled together and offered agfa $100,000 for a private batch of the old stuff. Agfa said no.

I only managed to buy one box of the stuff, to try to figure out what the fuss was about. I'm pretty sure I was able to equal its image quality with Fortezo, but I've never seen anything that could match the surface. It had a smooth soft sheen, like silk.

If you remember this stuff, can you think of an inkjet paper, preferably neutral white, and ideally baryta, with a similar surface?

So far I've only had a chance to check out the Canson (decent surface but too textured) and the Hahnemuhle baryta photorag (way too much texture).

Re: Nicest gloss surfaces?

When I saw you title, I immediately thought of Portriga Rapid 111 -- beautiful surface! I used it for years -- still have a very small stash. Sorry, can't help with with any inkjet reccomendations.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

It isn't just the surface, it's also the ink compatibility. Recently I tried some various non-Epson papers with my Epson printer, and none of them were satisfactory. Some of them were a complete mess. The Epson inks wouldn't dry into the surface in time, so there were roller tracks. Also, while the surface is glossy, the gloss changes with the inks on it. Some printers have a clear overcoat to overcome that.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Abuser of God's Sunlight

I think there are lots of papers now that work great with all the pigment ink printers. I'm seeing reports of very slight differences in gloss differential from one brand to another, not many other problems. The paper guys seem to have figured this out. It's a luxury to be able to choose based on the more superficial characteristics.

I may just go back to the photo store and dig through the sample books again. I find it hard to visualize these surfaces based on the manufacturers' names or reviewers' descriptions.

My current favorites are Epson Exhibition Fiber and Canson Baryta. Each is slightly different from the other. I find myself using the Epson for cold and neutral tone prints and Canson for warm tone.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Epson Hot Press Natural is a lovely paper.

Paul,

I don't know what the old Agfa looked liked, but i just received a Lenswork folio that was printed on "Harman by Hanemuhle Glossy Baryta." That is how it is described in the colophon. The paper is gorgeous, at least to me, glossy with just a hint of surface texture. You might give it a look. Jim

You might try Ilford's Gold Fibre Silk. It's a baryta paper with a smooth soft sheen and a touch of warmth. It really does have a nice silkiness to it.

As Michael mentioned above, Ilford Exhibition Fiber is also nice. In comparing it to the Gold Fibre Silk, I would say it is slightly whiter and the gloss is a tad harder/smoother. I go back and forth between those two (and occasionally Hahnemuhle Photo Rag if I want a matte surface) depending on the image.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

I'll probably try the Harman next. I'm reading about a lot of people ditching it for the Canson, but the surface might be a step closer to what I'm looking for.

It seems like right before I got into photography, Kodak made each of their papers in an incredible number of surfaces. Would be amazing if the ink paper companies could do something similar.