Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Best 4x5 Developing Tank

Re: Best 4x5 Developing Tank

Quote Originally Posted by koh303 View Post
    the 2520 tank is ideal, as you only need 1.25L per 6 sheets...
    The Nikor tank does 12 sheets in 1.0L of solution.

Stop spamming.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    The Nikor tank does 12 sheets in 1.0L of solution. Stop spamming.- Leigh
    Where can you buy those?

They come up on the used market frequently. That's where I got mine.

Like I said before... STOP SPAMMING!

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    As a compact, daylight system there simply was/is no better system then the CombiPlan when the instructions were followed.
    Mr. Salomon, where might I find the correct instructions for my 4x5 CombiPlan? I bought it from a camera store but it was not in a retail package so I received no instructions.

If you have a link to a website or PDF that would be great.

Thank you.

Terry Thomas...
    the photographer
    Atlanta, Georgia USA
    TerryThomasPhotos{at}gmail

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    After the same research the MOD54 seemed best for home use but it's EXPENSIVE especially if you live in the US and have to ship it...

I still need one... If anyone I selling...
    B&H in New York City tries to keep the MOD54 in stock. Their price is US $59.95. If they are currently out of stock you can request them to notify you when new stock arrives.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...et_Film&bi=E15

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    When I did processing in a pro lab I used the typical hangars in large tanks with nitrogen burst agitation. Gosh, I wish I could afford that for personal work.
    Back in the '80s when I was shooting a whole lot of 35mm, 120/220 and 4x5 black and white film I had a set of gallon-sized stainless steel tanks with floating lids. (No nitrogen burst.) To me, that is still the best way to process sheet film so I have been buying Kodak #4A stainless steel hangers as they show up on the used market. So far I have about two dozen. Now to find another set of stainless steel tanks...

Quote Originally Posted by koh303 View Post
    I see - well in that case - such as stand or edra developers, the 2520 tank is ideal, as you only need 1.25L per 6 sheets, they are suspended in the tank, and you can agitate when needed by inversion. The same tank can also be used for roll film (stand or agitation), and as a rotary tank as well....
    1.25L is not at all ideal for anyone who hand processes, most bottles come in 1L not 1.25L what a pain, at least the Paterson & MOD54 combo is only 1L for 6 sheets.

After using the second generation for a while I can say that the sets stay where they are but the edges do get a little scratch marks where the teeth touch the film. I can't understand why the design isn't more like the old FR tanks in that there should be tracks down the whole thing instead of teeth, but either way, it develops fine aside from the teeth scratches (which are outside of the image area).

Any tank that needs more than 1L per 6 sheets is a waste of developer and a pain since most home systems are set for 1L setups.

Stone, I hate to tell this but since you are really into 4x5 now and could likely stick with it, at some point you are going to want to get a Jobo 3010 drum and at least a cheap Beseler Motor Base...the difference in terms of consistency, needed amounts of chemistry and overall quality will surprise the heck out of you. I loved how easy it was to setup and use the Mod54, but I just never got the quality results out of my $1-2 a sheet film that I shot using my time and $4.00 a gallon gas and related expenses that I do with a 3010 drum.

I pissed and moaned about the price at first and then got one....lets just say it is SO good I now have two. Other people will tell you different things but with the exception of a slosher tray for compensating development, the 3010 drum consistently comes out on top by a fair margin.

You'll know when and if you are ready to move up...

1.25L is not at all ideal for anyone who hand processes, most bottles come in 1L not 1.25L what a pain, at least the Paterson & MOD54 combo is only 1L for 6 sheets.
    Any tank that needs more than 1L per 6 sheets is a waste of developer and a pain since most home systems are set for 1L setups.
    Actually - the Jobo 2520 only requires a minimum of 270ml when used in rotation for up to 6 sheets, the 1.25L is only in case, for some reason, someone wanted to use the tank for inversion, or stand developing.

Remember to take out the trash

After using the second generation for a while I can say that the sets stay where they are but the edges do get a little scratch marks where the teeth touch the film. I can't understand why the design isn't more like the old FR tanks in that there should be tracks down the whole thing instead of teeth, but either way, it develops fine aside from the teeth scratches (which are outside of the image area).

I run the 2520 with 1 liter of solution with 6 sheets of 4x5 all the time, no issues and very consistent results. I rotate by hand in a warm water bath.