Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cooke Taylor & Hobson Achromatic Portrait f/7.5 15 Inch Whats it worth?

(Shrek)

Re: Cooke Taylor & Hobson Achromatic Portrait f/7.5 15 Inch Whats it worth?

4. "...need funeral expenses for my grandmother..." (means - don't lowball me, I am going through a rough period)
    In my experience. limited as it is with estate liquidations, any private individual who is legitimately liquidating his grandfather's estate, does not state that fact up-front, or anywhere for that matter. Unless he's a scammer trying to make a buck, and doesn't have a problem exploiting a real or imagined death in the family.

Ok so the post office put the forms on too send me the info on whether the MO's were cashed; I guess they can't check this right away... However the post lady said something about there not being a status which she thinks indicates the MO's were never cashed. They could be lost in the mail. I really should have did a better job of protecting myself with this transaction.

I still don't get why the fellow hasn't responded. I wish I had his phone number...

Quote Originally Posted by 8x10 user View Post
    Ok so the post office put the forms on too send me the info on whether the MO's were cashed; I guess they can't check this right away... However the post lady said something about there not being a status which she thinks indicates the MO's were never cashed. They could be lost in the mail. I really should have did a better job of protecting myself with this transaction.

I still don't get why the fellow hasn't responded. I wish I had his phone number...
    I've gone through this process before (not a lens deal gone bad, but a lost/misplaced money order). They will take all your info, you fill out an official usps form, they send off the inquiry to the head office, and at the end of it all you will either get a check in the mail for the amount of the cancelled money orders or a photocopy of the cashed money orders. In my case they took about a month from the time the paper work was submitted till I received a status update. I remember there being a certain waiting period before the official paperwork could be submitted. I assume the time frame from start to finish might be influenced by whether or not the MOs were cashed at a post office or a bank.

Good luck - hopefully you'll end up with a check in your mailbox in a month or so.

Hmm... I really need to proof read things before I post.

Anyway the money orders were indeed cashed so most likely I am out $1000 I did report the theft to Glendale police, my local police department, the IC3 internet crime complaint center, and to the post inspectors (mail fraud complaint form).

The MO's were cashed on the 7th at two different teller windows at a Wells Fargo bank. The tellers' wrote the person's DL# on the money orders as well as DOB... The suspect is 60 years old.

If there is no lens, then I wonder where the pictures came from?

If this is the person who wrote the OP is 60, then the deceased grandmother must have been over 100 years old.

If the original Craigs listing was genuine (doubtful) then the text and photos could have been lifted from that.

I am sure this lens exists somewhere and will eventually appear again!
    Last edited by Steven Tribe; 5-Mar-2013 at 04:26.

Maybe along with a sticky it would help if those who have given a serious offer to purchase and then receive no response to come back into the thread stating thier beliefs of suspicious/crappy behavior on part of the seller

might not always help as if it is a scam he'd wait till the best offer came along and money sent before replying to anyone leaving no time to infer danger

I know if I were to offer a large sum of cash and get completely blown off I'd make it public right away
    might be helpful
    might get you outbid on occasion but I doubt in an honest sale it would come to that

Or maybe since no auctions are allowed in the Classifieds then all members are to refrain from auctions in Private Messages, as well

Downtrodden guy comes here with high priced item to sell and makes it appear as though he's merely trying to ascertain value while actually hoping to start a little silent auction

Google images didn't produce a hit for me ... the lens exists but it is not clear if he lifted the images from someone's auction or blog.

Hmm... I really need to proof read things before I post.

Anyway the money orders were indeed cashed so most likely I am out $1000 I did report the theft to Glendale police, my local police department, the IC3 internet crime complaint center, and to the post inspectors (mail fraud complaint form).

The MO's were cashed on the 7th at two different teller windows at a Wells Fargo bank. The tellers' wrote the person's DL# on the money orders as well as DOB... The suspect is 60 years old.

If there is no lens, then I wonder where the pictures came from?
    Sorry this happened. So, the police should have a driver's license number, which they can use to match up it's archive picture to the bank's hidden camera pictures. Then go to the address listed, and see if it's the same person, question, and charge someone. But they won't....too small a case.

(Shrek)

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    Sorry this happened. So, the police should have a driver's license number, which they can use to match up it's archive picture to the bank's hidden camera pictures. Then go to the address listed, and see if it's the same person, question, and charge someone. But they won't....too small a case.
    If he's in a city, no. But if he's from a small town somewhere that happens to have a police force, they might. It would give them something interesting to do. Isn't 'mail fraud' a federal crime in the USA?