Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Glow in the dark camera.

Re: Glow in the dark camera.

As for scanning the GITD image, it doesn't work. Nothing but white, leaving an even luminated sheet.

I did managed to make another image. Apple and bananas still life:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	apple_and_bananas_still_life_by_steven6773-d5t9ncd.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	20.5 KB 
ID:	88299

I think I overstretched my bellows. It's ripped. Not a huge problem as the bellows was made from black paper/cardboard. Going to have to make a new one soon. I've got the hang of the geometrics of bellow making, so that won't be a problem. Perhaps I'll use a more durable material this time.

Do you have any capability of developing film or paper ?

Quick thought is to build a holder that will have your GITD plate and a sheet of
    film or paper with a dark slide or two separating the two, expose GITD,
    cover the GITD, place the film or paper in position and expose the paper / film
    to the glow.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim C. View Post
    Do you have any capability of developing film or paper ?

Quick thought is to build a holder that will have your GITD plate and a sheet of
    film or paper with a dark slide or two separating the two, expose GITD,
    cover the GITD, place the film or paper in position and expose the paper / film
    to the glow.
    GITD sheets dont hold the image long enough to expose a piece of film or photo paper.
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams

This is really interesting. I think that with long-term exposure even your shadow areas will get charged, so there should be an optimal exposure time, rather than just exposing for as long as possible. But really I have no idea. Keep going, as this is quite fun.

The time I have to expose the GITD image to something else (like film or paper) is just a matter of minutes. I have a couple of rolls of 35mm film laying around. I could give that a try, although it's not going to be exact. As I don't know exactly how bright the GITD is and don't know how long I have to expose.

The first try with the bright white sugar pot was better than the fruit. The sugar pot really lit up on the GITD paint, while the fruit was a faint picture. The lighting and exposure time was exactly the same. I need to do some metering to determen the exposure time.

The apple-and-bananas picture is very attractive. Congratulations on your creativity, and all the more, since you built the whole camera from scratch. What kind of paint did you use?
    I am probably belabouring the obvious, but from your original post I thought you just wanted to take a digital picture of the image produced by your camera, which could have beeb done by photographing the "ground glass", but it seems you have gone way beyond that.
    Christoph

Quote Originally Posted by Light Guru View Post
    GITD sheets dont hold the image long enough to expose a piece of film or photo paper.
    If you're quick enough with the right jig I don't see why it wouldn't expose film, paper maybe not, it's been eons since I
    did any wet darkroom stuff.

@cgrab: the paint I used? on the camera I used a mahogany stain. On the plate I used glow-in-the-dark paint from a local store called HEMA. It's more like a thick gel than paint. It's water based so I could easyly dillute it before applying. I'm going to make another plate where I put white paint on first, to create an even surface. The GITD paint is going to be rolled on instead of brushing with a paint brush. I have to have an even coat of paint for the best result.

But first I have to finish the plate holder. If all works well I'll try to make a jig to load strips of 35mm film. (as that is the material I can get my hands on pretty easyly)

This weekend I'll try a daylight exposure.

I like the aesthetic of the images it makes. Ethereal and dreamy but sharp at the same time. It makes you look hard at it, then rewards you for it.
    Please, call me Erik.
    Find me on: Flickr Pentaxforums RangeFinderForum
    Omega View 45F Monorail, Super Graphic, Various Lenses (75, 90, 135, 150/265, 210)

Thanks unixrevolution (Oh, I should call you Erik), it does look like something I've never seen before. The apple with banana's photo was just enough exposed to see a faint image. A 30sec shot with my DSLR managed to record an image.

Today I had a spare half an hour to try daylight exposure. Either half an hour is to much time or I over exposed it while taking out the GITD plate. I've got to finish the plate holder first.