Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "Quotes"

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Re: "Quotes"

Here's an interesting, but incomplete, quote as the preceding page was cut from from used book that I recently purchased:

"...practice with the painter for ages; but he may use all legitimate means of presenting the story he has to tell in the most agreeable manner, and it is of his imperative duty to avoid the mean, the base and the ulgy; and to aim to elevate his subject, to avoid awkward forms, and to correct the unpicturesque." H. P. Robinson: Pictorial Effect in Photography. Quoted in The Linked Ring: The Sucession Movement in Photography in Britain 1892-1920, A Royal Photographis Society Publication, 1979.

Thomas

“I wish I were in the field today making photos, not online quoting photographers.”

― [All our names here] :^(

"One should not only photograph things for what they are but for what else they are."- Minor White

"The key is to not let the camera, which depicts nature in so much detail, reveal just what the eye picks up, but what the heart picks up as well." - Paul Caponigro

“It’s one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it’s another thing to make a portrait of who they are.” – Paul Caponigro

Thoughts I would like to live by in my photography.
    I know just enough to be dangerous !

My favorite is still, "Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." HCB

To look at a thing is very different from seeing it – Oscar Wilde

The medium of photography can record not only what the eyes see, but that which the mind's eye sees as well. The camera is not only an extension of the eye, but of the brain. It can see sharper, farther, nearer, slower, faster than the eye. It can see by invisible light. It can see in the past, present, and future. Instead of using the camera only to reproduce objects, I wanted to use it to make what is invisible to the eye, visible. -Wynn Bullock

Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital. ~Aaron Levenstein

There's gotta be some wisdom about compositions in that...

One of my favorite quotes, attributed to Gustav Mahler:

"Interesting is easy; beautiful is difficult."

Doremus

If one can apply Wayne Gretzky's philosophy:

"I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it is."

"I couldn't beat people with my strength; I don't have a hard shot; I'm not the quickest skater in the league. My eyes and my mind have to do most of the work."

"Ninety percent of hockey is mental; the other half is physical."

Just a few words of practical advice in regard to the use of these lenses. Always fully expose, as you then get the best work out of your lens. Under-exposure (bad in any case) plays you queer pranks when the S. A. Lens is used. Never stop down to any great extent, as in so doing you lose much of the special quality of the lens. When you first get a P. & S. S.A. [Pinkham & Smith Semi-Achromatic] Lens, it is a good plan to take a nice, quiet, still-life subject, and practice focusing it as a large, light colored object that you can readily see. It might be interesting, also, to slip your ordinary lens on the camera, and make two comparative exposures. This kind of practice teaches you more than any amount of talk. I must warn you, however, of a danger if you make the comparative exposures that I have just referred to - you will probably throw the ordinary lens away. Don't do it. It is a salable commodity.

Coburn c. 1912 [Alvin Langdon Coburn]
    You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus. ~ Mark Twain

Two favorites. The first I found in the beginning of "Way Beyond Monochrome," but I'd like to know where it was before that if anyone knows:

"Compensating for lack of skill with technology is progress toward mediocrity. As technology advances, craftsmanship recedes. As technology increases our possibilities, we use them less resourcefully. The one thing we’ve gained is spontaneity, which is useless without perception."
    —David Vestal

And this remains probably my single favorite:
    "I think the camera is something of a nuisance in a way. It’s recalcitrant. It’s determined to do one thing and you may want it to do something else. You have to fuse what you want and what the camera wants. It’s like a horse… You get to learn what it will do"
    —Diane Arbus