Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Quotes"

"Quotes"

I've been reading an old book that I came across, Photographers on Photography, loaded with opinions & quotes.
    Here's one,
    "Of course, there will always be those who look only at technique, who ask "how," while others of a more curious nature will ask "why."
    Personally, I have always preferred inspiration to information."
    Man Ray, Modern Photography Nov. 1957
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org

Re: "Quotes"

Which was echoed by AA's (or preceded by, I don't know which) "There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept" quote.

Andi Heuser

Quote Originally Posted by dsphotog View Post
    I've been reading an old book that I came across, Photographers on Photography, loaded with opinions & quotes.
    Here's one,
    "Of course, there will always be those who look only at technique, who ask "how," while others of a more curious nature will ask "why."
    Personally, I have always preferred inspiration to information."
    Man Ray, Modern Photography Nov. 1957

Andreas Feininger has written similar in his book "The complete photographer".

"Those are trees; I don't know from trees."

Richard Avedon upon viewing Ansel Adams' work.

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." - AA

From Todd-Zakia, Photographic Sensitometry...

I am often drawn to this sentence in the chapter on Variability and Process Control, so I'll quote it...

"When we say that there is 'no' difference between sheets of film from the same box, we really mean that the differences that do exist are so small that they are not important to us".

I read somewhere, sometime, something to the effect of" "never take up photography. It will ruin your life." I think the quote was attributed to Hurter or Driffeld, but I am unable to find it again.

Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Henderson View Post
    I read somewhere, sometime, something to the effect of" "never take up photography. It will ruin your life." I think the quote was attributed to Hurter or Driffeld, but I am unable to find it again.

Anyone?
    Well, I've said it many times, though it was never attributed to me.

multiplex

"bob hope is interesting, da vinci's a genius" ivan galantic 1984
    after overhearing a student commenting that da vinci's annunciation was "interesting"

"Every so often I have gone back to Edinburgh, and each time I have made a few more photographs for the book.
    Photography is ever thus. It will not let you forget it. Once you are really innoculated with the germ, you can never be free of it. Nor do you especially wish to be so freed, for photography gives you "an eye for beauty". It makes you look at life from another angle, for there are pictures everywhere, but we often pass them by unheeded until we take to photography.
    As one grows older in photography its lure does not really decrease, and I honestly believe it even keeps one young in heart.
    A man in love with his work does not grow old, as do those without an interest in life. It continually spurs him on to fresh conquests and ever richer achievement."
    _Alvin Coburn