Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lenny comes through....again

Re: Lenny comes through....again

+1

indeed it is great to have people like Lenny who is willing to share his knowledge.. this is a great website

Quote Originally Posted by perfectedmaya View Post
    +1

indeed it is great to have people like Lenny who is willing to share his knowledge.. this is a great website
    Thanks to everyone for their kind words. I think this is a great forum as well, I have learned a lot here, and met some great people.

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

I just finally got to opening up that second landscape Lenny. WOW! What always amazes me is how much easier it is to get an expressive print from a top shelf scan-a ton less work.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

I'm sure Lenny will agree that the most important thing in scanning is the human factor. The Heidelberg is a great machine in the right hands, but all too often inexperienced or insensitive people run them more like copiers than tools capable of expression. I find this more in shops where operators come from the press trade rather than custom photo labs. It's a different mind set that's geared for expediency with volume of production and cost being primary considerations over artistry. In some cases it's a valid way to work but not for our purpose.

My point is, don't blame or credit the machines. I've run a hi-end scanning business for decades and I know first hand that good operators make great scans with scanners of all makes, and of course there's nothing better than a real fluid mounted drum scan made on quality equipment whether it's Aztek, Scanview, ICG, or Heidelberg just to name a few that I'm familiar with. In all cases, it's necessary to turn off the intelligence that was programmed into the machine and replace it with human sensitivities.

John Castronovo
    Techphoto, llc
    Boonton, NJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Eiger View Post
    ...One important footnote. In our development methodology the Xtol had a very short range from N-3 to N+2. Where D-23 went from 3:45 to about 14 minutes or so to cover the development range, Xtol's range was from 4 to 7 minutes. When we went over 8 minutes of development, the grain literally exploded...
    Lenny, you've commented on the time-sensitivity of Delta 100 in XTOL in several threads. This leads to a follow up question.

When developing Delta 100 sheets for scanning rather than wet printing, do you still vary time, i.e. N-3 to N+2? Within reasonable subject brightness range limits, do you think that just developing everything as "N" and adjusting during scanning / file preparation is viable? Or is it still necessary to apply some form of Zone System control during exposure and film development? Thanks in advance for your insight.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Lenny, you've commented on the time-sensitivity of Delta 100 in XTOL in several threads. This leads to a follow up question.

When developing Delta 100 sheets for scanning rather than wet printing, do you still vary time, i.e. N-3 to N+2? Within reasonable subject brightness range limits, do you think that just developing everything as "N" and adjusting during scanning / file preparation is viable? Or is it still necessary to apply some form of Zone System control during exposure and film development? Thanks in advance for your insight.
    Sal,
    It's true that some adjustment is possible with scanning software and photoshop. However, I find that everything works better when the negative is just perfect. It scans easier, it maintains all the tones you had in mind when you took the image. The expressive print is both more possible, and easier to accomplish.

On the low end, you won't have the zone 3 values unless they are exposed for. You aren't going to manufacture detail, no matter what you do. As to the high end, I overdeveloped a series of negs I shot with my Mamiya 7 and there really wasn't anything I could do. I couldn't get rid of the contrast... So, yes, there's a little more wiggle room, but I think it is unquestionably still worth it to apply zone system control. It's easy enough to do... especially for someone as experienced as you.

Lenny
    EigerStudios

I have commented on this before ... but until you actually watch a skilled scanner like Lenny work, there is no way you can appreciate what they can do ... and how much work and time goes into each scan.

I have an Epson V750 and have become reasonably proficient at using it for negative scans ... that being said ... there is absolutely no comparison to what Lenny does.

I have been fortunate enough to watch Lenny do a scan of a difficult negative with him explaining each step and sampling during the process, to discuss photography and techniques with him (usually over my head) and to visit his studio/home and get a tour of the facilities and equipment ... and his own beautiful photos ... .

All I can say is ... send him a negative ... tell him what you are looking for ... consult with him while he's working on it ... and you will be amazed at what you get.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Graves View Post
    I have commented on this before ... but until you actually watch a skilled scanner like Lenny work, there is no way you can appreciate what they can do ... and how much work and time goes into each scan.

I have an Epson V750 and have become reasonably proficient at using it for negative scans ... that being said ... there is absolutely no comparison to what Lenny does.

I have been fortunate enough to watch Lenny do a scan of a difficult negative with him explaining each step and sampling during the process, to discuss photography and techniques with him (usually over my head) and to visit his studio/home and get a tour of the facilities and equipment ... and his own beautiful photos ... .

All I can say is ... send him a negative ... tell him what you are looking for ... consult with him while he's working on it ... and you will be amazed at what you get.
    ditto
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

What a nice Father's Day gift to come here and read this from you guys. You're the best.

Happy Fathers Day to all of you...

Lenny
    EigerStudios

Got a chance to visit Lenny some time ago.

This was a VERY worth while time spent, beyond Lenny's skill, art and craft at scanning. There is a wonderful collection of books and images Lenny has created.

Add this to Lenny's willingness to help others in their imaging needs makes him kinda special within the LF community.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Graves View Post