Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Film Loading

Film Loading

Hello, I need some help with getting the film into the holder. As far as I am aware 5x4 film is in a box which has another layer inside, which opens up to the sleeve the film is in. I was just wondering if the film sleeve inside is light proof, or will I have to open the box from the beginning in total darkness.

Thanks

Re: Film Loading

I peel the tape off the box in the light and open it in total darkness. Just to be sure that I do not mess up
    Victor Knötzel - http://victorknotzel.com

The black plastic is light proof but you don't know that it has no holes. It's a safety measure so I wouldn't bypass it. Film is expensive enough without accidentally flashing a box.

kevingm

Kodak 4x5 film comes in foil pouches that are sealed, so I suppose that you could open the box if you trust that the foil is still intact. Ilford film comes in pouches that are folded but open at one end. I would never open a box of film except in total darkness. Since it's not difficult to open the box in darkness, I can't think of any reason not to.

Depending on the film and its origin, I have experienced sealed dark bags (have scissors at the ready), unsealed folded dark bags, suspiciously opaque "dark bags", an even no bag, in triple or double boxes, interleaved and not. Don't F' with it. Open in total darkness, unsealing the box before hand as previously suggested to prevent unnecessary futzing around in the dark.

Why take the risk? Why even ask the question?

I use 4x5" Ilford FP4+ film, usually I buy it in 100 sheet boxes. The box is triple, that is, there is the top and bottom that can be seen, then another "top" inside the bottom, to make a light trap effect I guess. Inside the box are 4 black plastic envelopes, each holding 25 sheets of film. As has been stated, the envelopes are folded over at their open ends, but not sealed in any way. I cannot speak to other brands/models.

I cut the tape that seals the box, go dark, then open the box, get out the first bag, and proceed to load my holders.

When I am done loading, I double, sometimes triple check that I did, in fact, put the film back in the envelope and the envelope back in the box, and closed the box. Shit happens.

After the first opening, I put the 3 remaining bags inside a 25 sheet box that I saved from previous purchases, put each box in a Ziplock bag, and store them in the freezer to keep them fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by Pawlowski6132 View Post
    Why take the risk? Why even ask the question?
    The stress of handling sheet film for the first time, from loading to developing, can be considerable. At least I remember it being that way. Coming from other ease–of–use roll formats, the whole idea of handling sheet film can be foreign and daunting. I certainly recall wondering what kind of beast lurked in those (yellow) boxes, having never seen inside them prior to beginning my LF journeys.

"Life is like a box of sheet film. You never know what you are going to get." – Forrest Grump
    Last edited by ROL; 22-Jan-2013 at 18:20.

Large Format Rocks ImSoNegative's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    The stress of handling sheet film for the first time, from loading to developing, can be considerable. At least I remember it being that way. Coming from other ease–of–use roll formats, the whole idea of handling sheet film can be foreign and daunting. I certainly recall wondering what kind of beast lurked in those (yellow) boxes, having never seen inside them prior to beginning my LF journeys.

"Life is like a box of sheet film. You never know what you are going to get." – Forrest Grump

agreed!! what you said brought back memories : ))
    "WOW! Now thats a big camera. By the way, how many megapixels is that thing?"

Ah, I see. Thanks, I will not open the box in the light!